pike pic

Default pike pic

Old 11-12-2006, 07:44 PM
bigbore

nice fish, this was caught recently??
Old 11-12-2006, 08:34 PM
pike

Default pike

no I caught it through the ice last year, it was 14 pounds. WE caught bigger than this but didn't have the camera. We usually release anything over about 10 pounds as they are the spawning females.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:28 AM
demasterangler

Default Re: pike

Hey Buck Where did you get that yellow pliar thingy your holdin the fish up with Thanks Dma
Old 11-13-2006, 01:00 PM
bigbore

Default Re: pike

looks like a Croc or a Gater grip you get at the fishin hole, never seen someone use one, just might have to get one now that i see it works. Should be good for filliting too
Old 11-13-2006, 01:22 PM
gator grip

Default gator grip

I actually can't remember where I got it, it works well.better than sticking your hand in the gills and getting all cut up. if the fish is ove 20 pounds though it doesn't work that great. I did get it at the fishin hole
Old 11-13-2006, 08:10 PM
demasterangler

Default Re: gator grip

If its over 20 lbs I usually have both arms wrapped

around it like were on a date ... LOL

It would be really good for those hammer handles

in the winter . keep them in the hole while dehooking

DMA
Old 11-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Pike

Default Pike

14lbs ya right. 7-8lbs tops.

That method of holding fish is harmeful to the fishes internal organs. The proper method is to support both the head and body of the fish with your hands holding it horizontally. You may as well have kept that one for the frying pan.

Tip: Buy a scale.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Oh we have an expert

Default Oh we have an expert

Hmm I guess my scale must not work! Or your just an expert on judgement of size from a photo.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:27 PM
demasterangler

Default Re: Oh we have an expert

Well if thats true . Then hookin them in the face with a #4

Len Thompson and 50 lb. dacron line , and havin them do tricks all the way to the boat must really do something to their guts . Why are we putting them back , after angling them
if their innards are no longer functioning properly .

Just a thought ! DMa
Old 11-14-2006, 07:26 PM
LOL

Default LOL

I told you he is an expert. I wonder why they the still swim off like a jet?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Kyle

Default hi

Buck Krazy,
the guy is not wrong at all, if you look at old pictures of fishing celebrities..that way you held the fish is the exact way they held the fish. Now they all support the belly of the fish, co-insidence? i think not.

That fish probably did survive, but just a thought for next time, if your releasing them...try to support there belly weight a little bit to reduce harm done to fish.

8) :smokin
Old 11-14-2006, 08:26 PM
holding fish

Default holding fish

Every bass they catch is grabbed by the lip, pike by the gills I don't know coinsidence? maybe
Old 11-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Kyle

Default ok

ok fine, you win...hold every pike you catch in that exact hold, and when you are releasing a pike ALSO make sure that you stick a nice big piece of metal(to weigh it) *hint of sarcasm*

all this makes for a great release!!!!

just imagine if you were being held, would you rather be held by the lip/teeth? or would you rather have someone put their hand under your belly.
use common sense dude.

but if you dont care..fine keep doing that 8)
Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 PM
natwide

Default Re: ok

Quote:
just imagine if you were being held, would you rather be held by the lip/teeth? or would you rather have someone put their hand under your belly.
ohh my god kyle is a peta nut.Its a nice pic thanks for sharing buck crazy .
Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Kyle

Default wow

your an idiot, if i was with peta i would NOT hunt or fish.

just because i want to see a fish swim off with the least amount of harm done that makes me belong to peta?

that is actually the dumbest post EVER, because i'm telling the proper way to catch and release a fish that makes me belong to peta
Old 11-14-2006, 11:25 PM
re:wow

Default re:wow

I am not saying it is proper or improper, just not always practical. How does a person weigh a fish without holding it up like this? How do you bring it up an icehole??? I have seen 30 pound pike at derbys being weighed and held up like this, then released. I don't know what they teach you at PETA TREE or whatever society you belong to but all I did was post a pic of a pike I caught and I get all this bs from little twerps like you!!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Barbwire

Default Re: re:wow

Nice fish....Background looks like badger lake.... Am I wrong?

Barbwire
Old 11-15-2006, 01:57 AM
splitbrow

Default Pike...

This one is over 30... I would have a tough time straight arming it with jaw clip, lol, I had to support its belly... it was to hard to straight arm it for the picture...this was caught this spring.

Now for the picture, I think 14 is optimistic but we are not here to pass judgement. More of a piece of advice than anything... just dont hold it so far out... your fist appears to be as big as your head and we all know that isn't the case... furthermore look at the relative size of your hand to the fishes head...

I agree nice picture though, fun catching them through the ice!

good luck this winter...

Split...

Old 11-15-2006, 06:27 AM
natwide

Default Re: Pike...

"Dam"splitbrow nice fish. great looking pic's Better watch out for kyle and his words of( wisdom:rolleyes )
Old 11-15-2006, 10:34 AM
demasterangler

Default Re: Pike...

Is peta That bread that Greeks use to make sandwiches .

No seriously , I know something about releasing
trophy fish , the bigger the fish the more traumatized
they are after being caught , two springs ago ,
opening day , badger lk, 15 mins into fishing ,
29 lb. pike , never expected it , 10lb line , undermatched
a titanic struggle ensued, took to long to get him in
out of the water for 2 min. had a heck of a time reviving this guy, I thought he was good but he surfaced again , caught him , held him upright , swam him a round
finally he regained full power , and took off . Theres no guarantees , if you fish those big walleye waters in the fall
invariably you will find find a few hogeyes floating around always sad.
Never have I read , or had a knowledgeble person
such as an ichtologist tell me that they were aware of
the fact that there was a better way to hold a fish , that
you had taken out of their necessary environment , water.
There are things you can do to ensure a speedy recovery , one of them is to get the fish in the boat , net ,
cradle quickly. So use adequate tackle .

I think this holding fish thing is like better tasting dog food , who tells people that its better tasting . I wanna
meet that dog .

Demasterangler ..Holder of Manitoba record 10 specie , minimum 5 trophy size fish each specie .
Gold Badge Holder ..

One fish killed 14lb 9 oz. Walleye before molds were invented , by the way those molds were invented so those Americans could have a fish mount at home and one at the office , maybe one in the truck . I know the guy who first
started making them...I am resonably sure he didnt have
conservation in mind ... DMA
Old 11-15-2006, 11:11 AM
gopherslayer

Default LOL

"your an idiot," ....really...should you be calling anyone an idiot when you don't know the difference between you're, your and yore??

Nice fish and pic Buck...don't mind the retards :rolleyes
Old 11-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Big pike

Default Big pike

Geez Splitbrow....that is an amazing fish! Good on ya!

The best gear for handling big pike in open water, hands down, is a fish cradle. Once you get the pike in you close it up and they usually quiet down right away. You can then weigh the fish while in the cradle...just make sure you subtract the weight of the cradle which is about 2 lbs on average. Then you can release the fish unhandled. If you want a pic, then I agree that support the weight of the belly is the best you can do. By the way, a cradle takes two persons. One to do the netting and one to steer the fish in.

Obviously through the ice you will have to handle the pike. Again the approach of supporting the weight is good....very hard to pull off on large pike through the ice though. Just try to be as quick as possible in getting the support on the body. That is about the best you can do. And get them back in as quick as possible.

My .2 cents.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Big Pike

Default Big Pike

Splitbrow,

Very nice pike. Now I'd say thats an accurate weight of a fish. If your is 30lbs unsure to how the other pike is 14lbs? Nowhere near half the size.

SNAPFisher,

You said it best. Cradle is the way to go.

Do the best you can to handle them quickly and gently in the winter. I still use the cradle in the winter to weight them.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:55 PM
pike pic

Default pike pic

Actually it was closer to 15 now that I look at the back of the photograph. Our biggest was 25 I am no Junior and I know what the ****** I am talking about
Old 11-15-2006, 06:32 PM
splitbrow

Default Buck..

I dont think anyone is questioning whether you are experienced or not. The picture is very nice and so is the fish (especially through the ice). There is no need to get in a huff...

I am also curious as to what the fish measured out at...

I only posted my pictures for comparison purposes... not to make you even more "wriled" up...

Split...
Old 11-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Kyle

Default natwide

no natwide,
I wont get mad at splitbrown, that above pic is the exact way I was meaning to hold the fish.
Also I believe he said that he mounted that fish, so he could hold it by the eyes for all i care(would be a funny looking mount however )
Old 11-15-2006, 07:13 PM
fish length

Default fish length

caught it early last ice season, in like december I don't know the length but the big one we caught was 44 inches. I am not wriled up, I just know what I know and when people tell me otherwise I get defensive.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:33 PM
stormy

14 my ***** maybe 8/9lbs
Old 11-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Brady

Jesus, guys....cabin fever hitting already??
Nice pics of some nice fish guys, I could care less if they were 14 or 40 pounds, a nice pic is a nice pic.