Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-04-2016, 09:12 PM

Default 39 Hours Tomorrow Night!

Just a reminder that the long awaited tie breaker episode should be released tomorrow night! I hope everyone else is as excited as I am!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Banned

Released on tv, or u-tube? Anyways, thanks for the heads up. Been looking foreward to this episode.
GO Team Sask.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:10 PM

YouTube .Uncut Angling's channel. Gonna be awesome!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:53 PM

Can't wait should be a great episode
Old 04-05-2016, 09:25 AM

Have been going crazy waiting for this. Watched once.....then re-watched with the girlfriend and now she's sold on it. Can't wait for the tiebreaker ep which I hope turns in to a lot more.....

GO TEAM MANITOBA!!!!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:35 AM

I was talking with Sean at Cabela's on the weekend, and he wouldn't divulge who takes the win - staying tight lipped until the end! Judging by his smirk when talking about it, I suspect the brothers Geek will take it.

For those who aren't familiar with the show;

It is a challenge for three teams to catch and release as many different species over 12" in a 39 hour period. Points are awarded to the team with the largest of each species. If a competing team catches a larger fish than the current leader, the points are stolen from the previously held leader and awarded to the team that caught the larger fish.

It is all in the name of charity, which is a terrific spin on the show. For each point awarded to each team, Shimano donates rod combos to a charity of each teams choice.

Currently, team Saskatchewan (Konrad Brothers) and team Manitoba (Aaron Weibe and Manny Milas) are tied. Tonight is the tie breaker - tune in to the Uncut youtube channel tonight to see who wins!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 PM

It's on youtube now guys
Old 04-05-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike780 View Post
It's on youtube now guys

and there's an episode 8!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:37 AM
Banned

Just watched team Sask crush team Man. in episode 7. Don't know if I'm upset about the show milking this contest for every episode it can get, or happy that there will be what looks like 4 more episodes for a total of 11 to enjoy.

GO SASK GO
Old 04-06-2016, 12:18 PM

I'm praying it becomes a full time thing. This thing is fantastic and needs to continue.

Not sure about team Sask "crushing" Team MB....beat 'em out by a couple inches, after MB spent basically the whole time trying to fix a motor. And the one Aaron lost looked like it coulda been a beast. Things will get interesting in the next ep....

Here's hoping Tourism Manitoba sees the value in this and finds a way to keep it going!! (...the upcoming MB election will likely play a role in tourism budgets...)
Old 04-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Banned

HA!!! Granted, team Manitoba got off to a late start (whats up with that?), and that motor problem could have sunk them (bad pun). There solution was pretty ingenuise, but will it last the next 34 hrs?
But, I still say they got CRUSHED!. Who knows, might be the last time the team I'm cheering for will have bragging rights, so I'll enjoy it while I can. LOL
Old 04-06-2016, 02:29 PM

Been watching on YouTube all morning... Love this!!! Go Geeks!!!!!
Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 AM

(if you haven't seen ep 7 watch it first before reading)

I watched it on the way to work this morning...hopefully wasn't too much data...lol.

As I was driving I didn't pay the best attention, but did the twins say they were going to be at Dief for 3 periods? I may have missed the beginning too if it explained any rules, but it would be coolest if they had to fish a different body of water for each period. Walleye I know is probably the most popular fish but not the most exciting to watch, so at least if they made that stipulation of a new body of water each time that'd help spice it up. That being said the show is still my favourite and highly enjoyable...and the reason I'll be doing my own 39 hours for fun this year. I watch it when I go to bed, brush my teeth, eat breakfast...pretty much anytime I can get away with it before gf or kids get in proximity ;-)

Although Walleye fishing isn't always the most exciting I shouldn't complain...I don't fish Walleye much for that reason, so can really use the tips the boys tell us! lol. Credit to the geeks for the intense moments with the burb and walleye...that would've sucked if they caught the big burb but no walleye..lol..but then they catch a beauty. Credit to MB for fixing their motor...I don't think I'd have the gamble in me to wander far from the dock with a quick rig, but it worked great and they managed to land a nice walleye :-)
Old 04-07-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirGetter View Post

I watched it on the way to work this morning...hopefully wasn't too much data...lol.

As I was driving I didn't pay the best attention, but did the twins say they were going to be at Dief for 3 periods? I may have missed the beginning too if it explained any rules, but it would be coolest if they had to fish a different body of water for each period. Walleye I know is probably the most popular fish but not the most exciting to watch, so at least if they made that stipulation of a new body of water each time that'd help spice it up. That being said the show is still my favourite and highly enjoyable...and the reason I'll be doing my own 39 hours for fun this year. I watch it when I go to bed, brush my teeth, eat breakfast...pretty much anytime I can get away with it before gf or kids get in proximity ;-)

Although Walleye fishing isn't always the most exciting I shouldn't complain...I don't fish Walleye much for that reason, so can really use the tips the boys tell us! lol. Credit to the geeks for the intense moments with the burb and walleye...that would've sucked if they caught the big burb but no walleye..lol..but then they catch a beauty. Credit to MB for fixing their motor...I don't think I'd have the gamble in me to wander far from the dock with a quick rig, but it worked great and they managed to land a nice walleye :-)
obviously not fishing walleye right to not find it exciting. most of my favorite days and nights have been smashing eyes.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:21 AM

Mine too, don't get me wrong. I like Walleye fishing, and I love the show more than anyone. But you have to admit watching guys jigging for walleye can't really be ranked as the top thrill. Going after multiple species was awesome. For one species, I'm just saying probably can be topped by perhaps crazy action pike, fly fishing, trolling for monster lakers...to be honest I like it all anyway. Another cooler idea would be to have 5 periods of 5 species - 1 species per period. In the 8 hours they would each devote to the same species. That being said I'm not familiar with SK & MB, so potentially there aren't 5 species that would be a fair challenge (for example SK burb's/brown's/rainbows).

Although it may sound like I'm complaining it's only constructive criticism and my opinion...I know Walleye is regarded as the most popular sport fish so if they were going to pick only one species then it was the clear choice. I'll still watch each episode a million times ;-)
Old 04-07-2016, 11:34 AM

I get what your saying freshairgetter.... I'm loving the uniqueness of the show and different species and techniques involved. It's the only fishing show I'll watch now. And being able to cheer for a team really keeps your interest.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I get what your saying freshairgetter.... I'm loving the uniqueness of the show and different species and techniques involved. It's the only fishing show I'll watch now. And being able to cheer for a team really keeps your interest.
Me too. I love the show, the fishermen involved, and most importantly that it's fairly local! They name the bodies of water, let us know their techniques...highly entertaining...it's great! I liked the Geeks' phone post when they said "It's go time!" while eating donuts. Then sending the other teams a message saying "We had a good night...that is all" lol. Then Aaron worshipping his motor during another phone post (which didn't seem to work for very long...haha). I can't wait to try making my own...only problem is I won't have a dedicated cameraman, which unfortunately is pretty key...lol.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:49 PM

I definitely loved the multi-species aspect of the first go 'round, and the varied bodies of water, but this will still be really cool. Walleye fishing is it's own special thrill.

I still personally prefer topwater bass fishing (chucking poppers over structure and waiting for the smash is unmatched, imo) but jigging or running cranks for eyes can be a ton of fun as well. I'm stoked for the next ep....
Old 04-13-2016, 08:45 AM

Episode 8 (Fish Off Period 2) is up......and another awesome one from all involved!
Old 04-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Episode 8 (Fish Off Period 2) is up......and another awesome one from all involved!
thanks.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:34 PM

(if you haven't seen it don't read this)

I'm liking it better than I thought! Close race, great that MB tied it up! They caught those 30+ inchers pretty easily...I didn't even see them catch any small ones, must be nice! Sadly I haven't been able to catch a 30 incher yet, so I guess I'll have to do some Walleye fishing. One cool thing I'm noticing about Walleye is you typically catch them deep and they're slow to come up, so it adds a bit of wonder on "What exactly did I catch here?". So I do get the Walleye appeal ;-)

It was looking and sounding like it'd be a clean sweep for SK, but after Episode 8 I'm not so sure...I wouldn't know who to bet on at this point!
Old 04-19-2016, 08:32 PM

Another should be up right away!
Old 04-19-2016, 08:33 PM
Banned

It should have already been up!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 PM

its been up for 30 mins now!! crazy episode!!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyAngler View Post
its been up for 30 mins now!! crazy episode!!
Yeah I seen it. Not happy with the ending
Old 04-19-2016, 10:02 PM

Just AWESOME best series or show I've ever watchedwish it was on al the time. Just finished watching next episode it is the best one yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2016, 07:56 AM

Default As i was driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirGetter View Post

YEP SO YOU WERE TRYING TO DRIVE AND WATCH VIDEOS ON YOUR PHONE
Old 04-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Banned

Just watched the final episode. Really enjoyed all the episodes and liked the way they had this tourney set up.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:17 PM

Read an interesting post from Aaron, talking about how much prep went into fishing Wekusko for them. Said that neither he nor Manny had ever fished a Jiggin' Rap in their lives. They got a friend, who was a regular at Wekusko and highly recommended the lure as the "Go To" for that body of water, to give them a highly-detailed tutorial, over the phone, on how to work the lure, because it's so different...unique. They spent a week pre-fishing the area and trying to figure everything out.

It's really neat and just goes to show how much effort they were willing to put into something like this...
Old 04-21-2016, 03:53 PM

Thought is was a very good mini series and to top it all off the team I was pulling for won.

Good Job Aaron and all those involved.