Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2016, 08:36 PM

Default Tinner won't plane, any ideas welcome?

Bought a 13' smoker craft Alaskan which is a deep v nice and wide with a 20" transom, fairly heavy, 9.9 Yamaha long leg. Cav plate is about 2" above the transom. Can't get it to plane. Prop just seems to want to bury deeper and keep the nose up with only myself. Was thinking of adding some weight in front or different prop or a jack plate to adjust the prop depth.

It had an offset motor mount that had the plate below the transom but think that was for a short shaft.

Maybe a hydrofoil plate?

Any ideas
Old 05-07-2016, 08:53 PM

you want to trade for a short shaft, i have a merc 9.9 with about 4 hrs on it.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
Bought a 13' smoker craft Alaskan which is a deep v nice and wide with a 20" transom, fairly heavy, 9.9 Yamaha long leg. Cav plate is about 2" above the transom.
The cavitation plate, in most cases, should be at least level or slightly below (maybe 1"-2") where the transom meets the bottom of the hull of the boat. The purpose of this plate is to reduce "cavitation" which is when it sucks air down into the prop robbing the propeller of efficiency.

You could be "sucking too much air" and not getting enough thrust OR your long leg isn't a long leg - which would be a problem on a 20" transom (most small tinners are 15"'s).

With a typical 20" transom - a typical long leg outboard will set up about 1" below the hull in the neutral position on the transom block. A 9.9 may not have a transom block that is adjustable, and is likely a bracket that has little or no adjustment - have a look there first and drop the engine down 3" and you are likely to have far better results.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
you want to trade for a short shaft, i have a merc 9.9 with about 4 hrs on it.
That's going to make his problem way worse I think. The 5" difference will have his cavitation plate dry !!! He needs a long shaft.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:08 PM

I will add a disclaimer - a heavier boat can get away with the cavitation or ventilation plate slightly higher because there is enough weight to keep the prop and plate wet and in clean water - even on plane at full speed.

With small light tinners - a little deeper is a little better. It may create some extra drag at top speed - but it will allow you you get better low end performance.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:11 PM

Just re- read your post ,do you have one of those first generation 4 stoke 9.9 that they feel like they weight 250 lbs or more.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Just re- read your post ,do you have one of those first generation 4 stoke 9.9 that they feel like they weight 250 lbs or more.
No it's a 2stroke about 2001. I will try an adjustable Jack plate, only way to drop it down or get a long leg which will push it 8" off the transom to be able to tilt and not hit the transom. I assume it is vs the short leg I had before. Maybe it's a regular leg.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The cavitation plate, in most cases, should be at least level or slightly below (maybe 1"-2") where the transom meets the bottom of the hull of the boat. The purpose of this plate is to reduce "cavitation" which is when it sucks air down into the prop robbing the propeller of efficiency.

You could be "sucking too much air" and not getting enough thrust OR your long leg isn't a long leg - which would be a problem on a 20" transom (most small tinners are 15"'s).

With a typical 20" transom - a typical long leg outboard will set up about 1" below the hull in the neutral position on the transom block. A 9.9 may not have a transom block that is adjustable, and is likely a bracket that has little or no adjustment - have a look there first and drop the engine down 3" and you are likely to have far better results.
I think EZM is right ...what you can try is putting in a wedge I had a 14ft smoker and had to make a wedge out of a 2x10 cut it a little wider then motor mounts bevel cut from 1 1/2 to nothing place between mount and transom so motor kicks more under boat worked for me

Mack
Old 05-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Is this the one you bought? Nice looking boat.
http://www.smokercraft.com/showroom/...tility/alaskan

The 13dlx is rated for 25hp. Is a 9.9 capable of getting the boat on plane?
Old 05-08-2016, 09:57 AM

I don't think the 9.9 can bring it to plane, based on what I have seen from similar boats
Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I don't think the 9.9 can bring it to plane, based on what I have seen from similar boats
X2, a heavy 13' is pushing it for a 9.9
Old 05-08-2016, 11:00 AM

According to the website the boat is 225lbs - 12'-11" - a 9.9 should be more than enough to get it on plane. It won't be a speed demon - but it should plane with no problem with one guy in the boat.

This model has a max horsepower of 25 hp - and is really no heavier compared to a Lund of the same length/transom depth. They will plane with a 9.9.

I agree a 20 hp or 25 hp is far better ...... but a 9.9 should do it.

I think the issue is in the set up of the motor.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:33 PM

It is only a 9.9, in order to get a 13 fter on plane you will most likely need to have minimal gear and proper weight distribution.

Store your fuel tank and battery(if you have one) near the bow to balance the weight of you and motor at the back.

With my 14 fter I had a 9.5 hp and my fuel tank at the bow and battery about half way. I could only just get on plane on a good day(old 9.5 nowhere near as good as a newer 9.9 though). My 12 fter with 15 hp was much nicer and I put fuel and battery about 2/3 way up to get right balance. With 2 people and lots of gear still couldn't really get on plane though.

If your boat is rated for 25 then you want a 20 or 25 if you want to actually get around good. What you might be able to do(not sure about Yamaha) is upgrade the carburettor making it into a 15 hp, that will help a lot itself.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:24 PM

I have a14 ft Naden with a 15Hp Johnson and it planes nice and goes pretty good. However if I am in the boat myself it takes along time to plane out but if I put some weight up front like anchor and gas tank it shoots out of the hole Its all about weight distribution
Old 05-08-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
According to the website the boat is 225lbs - 12'-11" - a 9.9 should be more than enough to get it on plane. It won't be a speed demon - but it should plane with no problem with one guy in the boat.

This model has a max horsepower of 25 hp - and is really no heavier compared to a Lund of the same length/transom depth. They will plane with a 9.9.

I agree a 20 hp or 25 hp is far better ...... but a 9.9 should do it.

I think the issue is in the set up of the motor.
Went to a fly in lodge that had new 9.9 Hondas and new 14" Lund wc boats and we couldn't get them to plane if my life depended on it. Just plowed water. My guess is a new prop would have made a big difference . Actually this happened at another fly in outfit with the same set up but Yamaha 9.9

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 05-08-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Bought a 13' smoker craft Alaskan which is a deep v nice and wide with a 20" transom, fairly heavy, 9.9 Yamaha long leg. Cav plate is about 2" above the transom. Can't get it to plane. Prop just seems to want to bury deeper and keep the nose up with only myself. Was thinking of adding some weight in front or different prop or a jack plate to adjust the prop depth.

It had an offset motor mount that had the plate below the transom but think that was for a short shaft.

Maybe a hydrofoil plate?

Any ideas
What size prop came with the motor. And is it a 3 or 4 blade?

Old 05-08-2016, 04:32 PM

Pending on your location, I got a 25hp short shaft you can try on it, then you will know if hp is your issue.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeeHaw View Post
Pending on your location, I got a 25hp short shaft you can try on it, then you will know if hp is your issue.
He needs a long shaft for the 20" transom

Old 05-08-2016, 06:15 PM

I put a full water cooler jug in the front of my 12ft with a 9.9, then it planes out fine. If I don't weight the front, hard to see where I'm going 😜
Old 05-08-2016, 06:32 PM

It's max rated for a 15hp. Weight is 225lbs so might be the 12' with three benches. Transom is 20.5" and shaft is 17.5". I will have to get a jack plate or get a longer leg. I think adding weight to the bow will help too if I am solo. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:35 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

More motor!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-08-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
It's max rated for a 15hp. Weight is 225lbs so might be the 12' with three benches. Transom is 20.5" and shaft is 17.5". I will have to get a jack plate or get a longer leg. I think adding weight to the bow will help too if I am solo. Thanks for the advice.
The 5 gallon water jug is what I use on my 14 foot and a 9.9 motor, goes like a scared rabbit
Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Ok well if it's max rated for 15hp it should be good. Try 5 gallon full water jugs and see if that helps. If that doesn't do it go to your favorite dealer and see why they would recommend for a prop.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:22 PM

Before you do anything drastic, put your gas tank and battery up in the bow of the boat. If you have other people on board with you, have them sit forward when taking off. Weight distribution as others mentioned, is critical when your horsepower is under the rated maximum for just about any boat.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:27 PM

Dumb question, but have you adjusted the angle that the motor sits against the transom? There is usually a pin that goes across the bracket up near the transom, with a series of holes. Try changing the location of the pin to see if that changes the ability to plane.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-08-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Dumb question, but have you adjusted the angle that the motor sits against the transom? There is usually a pin that goes across the bracket up near the transom, with a series of holes. Try changing the location of the pin to see if that changes the ability to plane.

SS
Good point. Most outboards have a manual trim and you have to play with the trim settings to achieve a happy medium. I'd still put the fat kid in the front regardless.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:43 PM

I owned a 14 foot Harber Craft with Honda 9.9. It wouldn't plane. I always figured 9.9 wasn't adequate power to plane a 14 footer.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:52 PM

Like the guy said ,you may have to make sure your leg is as close to the boat as possible plus as I'm a big guy I had to get a prop with a smaller pitch to get the engine up to top revs to help it get up to planing speed.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:24 AM

The reason so many guys, and please don't take offence at this, can't get their 9.9 to push a 12 or 14 foot tinner that's under 300lbs on plane is because they just mount the outboard without having a look to see if it's set up properly.

Having weight distributed properly certainly helps, and there is no doubt it's a major contributing factor - but if the leg isn't sitting at the right height you can distribute all the weight anyway you want and it won't get on plane.

I've had a few small tinners in my time and this adjustment is critical.

I bought a boat 14 Lund ( with a 9.9 merc) from a guy that said it wouldn't plane. I took it home adjusted the leg, loaded the boat up (2 of us) and she planed just fine.

Look ......... a 9.9 is just about as small of an engine you are going to want. a 20 hp or 25 hp is going to much better as it has enough power to overcome a poor set up or poor weight distribution - but to say a 9.9 won't plane with one guy in the boat likely means there is an issue with the set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH3vrWKHwno
Old 05-09-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Like the guy said ,you may have to make sure your leg is as close to the boat as possible plus as I'm a big guy I had to get a prop with a smaller pitch to get the engine up to top revs to help it get up to planing speed.
Prop pitch is a contributing factor. A shallow (low) pitch prop will get you up and on plane much faster compared a high (steep) pitch prop.

The lower pitch prop will give you much better acceleration and torque but won't be as fast (top end speed) but ........ it's generally a better choice for smaller boats or boats that are slightly underpowered.