Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I have been struggling with my light reel which has 10 lb powerpro. It seems to knot up a couple times each day which is very frustrating. I believe it is due to line twist as I usually use small spoons and spinners but no matter what I try for swivel it still happens.
If you are using small spoons and spinners match your swivel to it, if you use to big of a swivel there is not enough torque to turn the swivel but it will twist the line.there are some very good small beadchain swivels on the market. Use to have the same problem pitching small spoons for crappies.

Mack
Old 05-19-2016, 09:35 AM

One thing most people don't even realize - there is a proper direction of spooling your line onto a reel. If you spool it backwards it's far more likely to cause you problems.

I also always use a swivel snap at the end of my main line. There is usually a leader attached (barrel swivel on top and swivel snap at bottom) as well that I attach my lures to (to make quick and easy lure changes).

I haven't had an issue in years.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:41 AM

Spinning and spincast reels are line twist reels. Every turn of the handle on a retrieve will create line twist. Not much can be done to solve the line twist issue but a good swivel can help a bit. Be sure to keep your swivels clean so they can work. Weeds on the swivel or swivels that don't properly work will create a nightmare in a short time of casting or trolling.
Best to always have your line installed with a line winding machine that you would find at a tackle store. Spools are placed on the machine so the line is rolled on the reel spool as it is rolled off the line spool. Therefore no line twist.
But as soon as the next cast is made...line twist will start.
Good Luck & Good Fishin'
Old 05-19-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
If you are using small spoons and spinners match your swivel to it, if you use to big of a swivel there is not enough torque to turn the swivel but it will twist the line.there are some very good small beadchain swivels on the market. Use to have the same problem pitching small spoons for crappies.

Mack
I use the smallest berkley snap swivels. They are only 30 lbs and tiny but still don't get the job done. I will be good for a couple hours then especially if it is windy all of a sudden I will notice a little knot in the line and half the time you can't pull it free... I don't get why I am having this problem now though because I never really had it last year using the same setup.

I will keep trying a couple new things, at this rate should only take me another month or so before I need to respool and maybe that will fix it...
Old 05-19-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Too much on the spool and too loose also.

Reduce the amount on and don't allow it to become that loose or you will cast a bird nest then start freaking out doing a shore dance...we all have been there!
X2 For sure looks like too much line on the spool
Old 05-19-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
X2 For sure looks like too much line on the spool
What is the two tone metal under the lip for if not a line to show you where to fill to???
Old 05-20-2016, 02:06 PM

Is there any point or more importantly, detriment to having more than one swivel in the line ... I seen those chain swivels which is basically 5 swivels in one so I assume the answer is no.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:52 PM

Tried the new lines and swivels and seems to work better.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Tried the new lines and swivels and seems to work better.
Perfect!
I wonder if it is more because of the swivel or the line ??
Cat
Old 05-22-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Perfect!
I wonder if it is more because of the swivel or the line ??
Cat
I always assume it's the line ... good or bad it's the line that is responsible lol