Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Default Yellowstone fishing

Im going to yellowstone in a few weeks. Does anyone know if i can carry my bear spray there? Can i even take it across the border?
Were staying right beside the madison and Firehole rivers. Has anyone fished this area? I want to know what flies to tie.

Any info would be great!

Fishstix!!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 PM

Hello Fishstix. I guess it's my turn to help you this time. Thanks for the previous help but I didn't get to go fishing when I was in Calgary.

I went to Yellowstone National Park in mid-June for a week and fished about three times at Firehole river. The weather was great but fishing wasn't. Haha. I'm kinda new to fly fishing so I guess it was my fault that I didn't catch anything. When I was visiting, the water level at the rivers was very high and Firehole was the only suitable choice. I actually got lots of hits but I'm pretty sure it was little fingerlings. There are many fly fishing shop near Yellowstone you can pay a visit but I would recommend Blue Ribbon flies in West Yellowstone. The guys and owner (Craig Matthews) there are very friendly and helpful.

As for the bear spray, I bought mine from Bass Pro Shop in Crossiron Mall and brought it down to the states. I carried mine everywhere and the park recommends visitors to have one with them for hiking and fishing.

I guess PMDs, elk caddis, woolly buggers, beadhead pheasant tail and prince nymph are common flies. Blue Ribbon flies shop advised me to try beadhead soft tackle flies when nothing else works. If you go to their website (www.blue-ribbon-flies.com), you will get to see some of their flies.

I'm not sure if i'm helping you with any new information. Feel free to ask more questions, I will be happy to answer them. I'm going to be away for a few days starting tomorrow afternoon so if I see your reply before I leave I will reply but if i don't answer your question, wait a few days. Haha.

Tight lines,

stluch