Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-28-2018, 09:24 AM

Default Taking Grandson Fishing near Drayton Valley--Help Needed Please

I live in the Peace Country and have since I moved to Alberta 20 years ago. My son moved to Drayton Valley this fall, and believe it or not, took the grandkids with him. I took my grandson fishing over Christmas, that's all him and I have been out so far. Wifey and I are going to visit for a long weekend, and I would love to take him fishing for the day.

I have never fished central Alberta and I am going in blind. That said, I am geared up very well.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? What would be the best lake to take him to, he is 8 and I am thinking some pike action would be a ton of fun for him. But, I'm not hung up on pike, I'd just like to see him land a fish or two.

Any advice on a lake and best points of access would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 AM

Buck lake is about 30 minutes SE of Drayton. Good for walleye, of which you can keep one over 50 cm. Some pike, lingcod, whites and the occasional big perch. Buck lake is paved all the way and has a few places you can access the lake. I have always had the best luck on the west side of the lake. About 17 feet deep is where I like to fish.

Wabamun lake is near too. can't keep anything but there are some pike to be had.

Good luck and have fun.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-28-2018, 10:15 AM

X2 for Buck lake
Old 02-28-2018, 10:34 AM

Thank you sir
Old 02-28-2018, 05:16 PM

Default Sardine

Sardine lake just east of DV on 39. Stocked with Rainbows, take the kids there lots. Never skunked.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Default Sardine Lake

For information on Sardine and the other trout lakes of Northern Alberta go to

https://myalbum.com/album/NAFlYyJfNIXK

Good luck,
Neil
Old 03-01-2018, 02:00 PM

I just tried Buck lake yesterday after work.

With the current snow on the lake I would not recommend it unless you have tire chains.

I was driving a new 1 ton diesel with a decent lift, brand new all season tires and I couldn't access much of the lake, so I ended up not fishing.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:33 PM

Buck should still worth going to if a person walks out...on snowshoes... or shoveling a path as they go. A person only has to walk out 10 to 30 yards in front of weed beds along the west side to get to fishable water.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-01-2018, 03:50 PM

Actually thought of another place that probably isn't ice fished much. About a 35 mile paved drive. Right at the Brazeau dam there is a road that goes eastsoutheast along the north shoreline of the dam. The road goes to the powerhouse about 10 or so miles away. The trout pond is about 6 or 7 miles down this road and the pond is on the left side of the road. You can see the pond along the road on google maps. I've caught some nice trout in summer and fall there. You have to go about half way across the pond to get to deeper water.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.m View Post
I just tried Buck lake yesterday after work.

With the current snow on the lake I would not recommend it unless you have tire chains.

I was driving a new 1 ton diesel with a decent lift, brand new all season tires and I couldn't access much of the lake, so I ended up not fishing.
Thanks for that!!
Old 03-01-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Buck should still worth going to if a person walks out...on snowshoes... or shoveling a path as they go. A person only has to walk out 10 to 30 yards in front of weed beds along the west side to get to fishable water.
I appreciate all your advice.

Grampa is in pretty good shape and I have snowshoes. I have my ice set up designed so I can walk and pull my sled, with all my gear stowed so it is only one trip. I haul it alone all the time, my friends don’t fish as much as me. Worst comes to worst, I'll make two trips, one just to haul the grandson out :

Actually, I have kids snowshoes. That boy is walking!!!

This sounds right up my alley.

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by riden; 03-01-2018 at 09:28 PM.