Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2018, 10:58 AM

Default To fish tonight or not to fish. That is the question

Hey guys,

Trying to figure out how sane i am. Live in edmonton and was going to go do a night trip for around 5-6hrs after work at lac sante ( 2hr drive). But with winter storm warning and 30km wind with gusts close to 50km im a little less confident. I do not have ice anchors for tent, but i could hide it behind truck and drive truck onto the bottom lip to keep in place....

Should i do it or not?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2018, 11:13 AM

You should go but take some rope to tie the tent to the truck as a safety.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:16 AM

Depends how tall your truck is and how aggressive your tires are. If it snows a foot with wind there could be massive drifts. If I was going to go out in a storm it would be on a very small body of water. Some place like chickakoo for size. GPS where you came onto the ice. Things can look different after a storm.

Before the storm front hits there is usually a change, a drop, in the outside air pressure. Sometimes the fish turn off, sometimes they turn on.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 03-02-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:26 AM

Best bet would be enjoy some motivational videos as this spring crap weather moves by...on the ice again soon enough.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:27 AM

Here's a crazy tip. If you have a winch on your truck and a long chain... chain up to a tree on shore and only drive out as far as the cable will go. That way if you get stuck in deep snow you can winch yourself off the lake.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-02-2018, 11:52 AM

Default Non Essential Travel

Just leaving this here...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...erta-1.4557107
Old 03-02-2018, 12:00 PM

the question becomes what fish is worth a potential night spent in the ditch waiting for a tow or worse some poor driver smashing into you . BTW most likely if you get stuck on the ice there will not be anyone around to give you some help. Good luck if you decide to go for it. Oh I forgot good chance that 2 hr drive will be 3 min.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Here's a crazy tip. If you have a winch on your truck and a long chain... chain up to a tree on shore and only drive out as far as the cable will go. That way if you get stuck in deep snow you can winch yourself off the lake.
Not crazy at all...just brilliant!

Plus, in the white out conditions that we could have during this storm that would allow you to find your way off the lake too.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:09 PM

GPS is a must if you are going any sort of distance from the shore. Getting lost on the ice is pretty easy especially with blowing snow and low visibility.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:51 PM

This same storm is already on the Grande Prairie area, I have family there. I'm being told that the wind is so intense they have 5-6 foot drifts all over their property. (These are farming folks not prone to exaggerating).

I'm gonna guess that the wind whipping across the lake would be insane if it hits here with the same force. Unless your Nanook of the North and have good winter camping skills I'd be inclined to stay home and fish another day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drifts.jpg (28.9 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Vapor; 03-02-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:04 PM

Default think again

I wouldn't be driving in a storm to do an overnight with those gusts unless you got a good shack, but then again 2 older gents I know got a call they couldn't refuse this week.... God needed a fishing partner, you never know when your times up some sooner than later...live your life your way your terms if you survive you'll have a good story when your older
Old 03-02-2018, 01:36 PM

Thanks guys - i cant believe it but im staying in. One of the first times ive cancelled. In convinced my buddy may be cursed....

Last time i planned a fishing trip with him is when the flood hit calgary. Haha so if you need any on call weather issues let me know where and when and ill book him to come with me. Haha

Thanks again, have a good weekend. Cant wait to see if anyone goes out and their experiences. You probably saved me lots of headaches.