Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2018, 10:56 AM

Angry Eskimo Stingray motor

Hello
Im in need of a motor for a eskimo stingray 33cc. As I lent it to a friend yesterday and he didn't think there was enough fuel in it and filled it up with gas (not mixed) then when I got there told me it had no power and was wondering why.

But Im wondering if there is any augers out there with the gear boxes shot. and people are not using cause they just bought a new one. And are willing to get rid of cheaply. LOL

Thanks a lot
Old 02-04-2018, 11:46 AM

You can fix the existing motor very easily. Running it without enough oil usually only results in a damage piston. Rarely does the bottom end suffer any problems. Even if it did, as long as the crank is good you just need to replace the bearings. Then put in a new piston and ring and use a cylinder hone to clean up any aluminum deposits on the walls. Total parts should be about $50.

One question, if friend pouched the motor why not get a new replacement on his dime, unless yours was already real old and worn. If you check the fishing section in the Buy and Sell there are often used augers REALLY cheap.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You can fix the existing motor very easily. Running it without enough oil usually only results in a damage piston. Rarely does the bottom end suffer any problems. Even if it did, as long as the crank is good you just need to replace the bearings. Then put in a new piston and ring and use a cylinder hone to clean up any aluminum deposits on the walls. Total parts should be about $50.

One question, if friend pouched the motor why not get a new replacement on his dime, unless yours was already real old and worn. If you check the fishing section in the Buy and Sell there are often used augers REALLY cheap.

Thanks. I have been looking online for parts because I am able to fix it if it is not to bad but cant find any motor parts eg. piston, cyl., brgs. Any idea? Eskimo does not sell it piston and stuff.

I did find where I can purchase a new powerhead for about $150 US but the wife may kill me.

And for your last statement well I guess Im to nice but it will be the LAST time anyone will borrow it again.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:21 PM

You'll have to research it but I am pretty sure the 33cc engine is the same one used in scooters where it is a much more popular application, lots of options to buy parts online.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:45 PM

https://www.geteskimo.com/Locations/...us=600&Search=

List of Alberta Service centers. Maybe call one of them and see where they get the parts.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:02 PM

I wouldn't bother with trying to fix it unless you have done similar work before and have the tools to do so.The time and money you would waste trying to figure out how to do it isn't worth it, not if a powerhead is only 150 usd. Heck the whole auger is only $340 and you should be able to sell your current one for at least $100(the bits are $200 themselves).

I'd ask buddy to go half on the repairs, say he can use it in the future if he learns how to mix gas...
Old 02-05-2018, 12:10 AM

Tell buddy he is the proud owner of a busted auger and he is buying you a replacement.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I wouldn't bother with trying to fix it unless you have done similar work before and have the tools to do so.The time and money you would waste trying to figure out how to do it isn't worth it, not if a powerhead is only 150 usd. Heck the whole auger is only $340 and you should be able to sell your current one for at least $100(the bits are $200 themselves).

I'd ask buddy to go half on the repairs, say he can use it in the future if he learns how to mix gas...
You must be rich if you think the new powerhead is a better deal than rebuilding the one you have. It is why I taught myself to fix augers, quads, vehicles and the like. Way cheaper than buying new and not real hard to do. Rebuilding an auger is at most an hour of your time, 2-3 hours if you have never done it before, and $50 in parts if you can find them. With a $1.25 conversion rate and shipping the new power head will be over $275 CDN. At that price you would definitely be better of just buying a new auger and selling the parts off the old one.

Petew

I would probably do as you suggest but as far as what he should do with his buddy, he already said what he wants to do. Think that should be his call since he wasn't asking for an opinion.

OP
Would be interested to hear where you locate parts. I never had trouble finding parts when they had Techumse motors but I didn't see any internal engine parts for the new Vipes when I did a quick Google.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You must be rich if you think the new powerhead is a better deal than rebuilding the one you have. It is why I taught myself to fix augers, quads, vehicles and the like. Way cheaper than buying new and not real hard to do. Rebuilding an auger is at most an hour of your time, 2-3 hours if you have never done it before, and $50 in parts if you can find them. With a $1.25 conversion rate and shipping the new power head will be over $275 CDN. At that price you would definitely be better of just buying a new auger and selling the parts off the old one.

Petew

I would probably do as you suggest but as far as what he should do with his buddy, he already said what he wants to do. Think that should be his call since he wasn't asking for an opinion.

OP
Would be interested to hear where you locate parts. I never had trouble finding parts when they had Techumse motors but I didn't see any internal engine parts for the new Vipes when I did a quick Google.
Or I realize that if he has never done this type of thing before he could easily spend $100+ on parts and tools and still end up with an auger that doesn't work...

If he already knows how to do this type of stuff I I doubt he would have asked the question he did. He would have likely already pulled it apart and found what is wrong and tried to get his hands on the parts to fix it...

If he is mechanically inclined and has some tools and wants to learn how to fix these engines then go ahead and give it a try. Ripping it apart and trying to diagnose the problem is free. Getting it back together and working like new might be easy and might not be.

If he isn't mechanically inclined then I'd probably just buy a new auger and sell the existing one. $250 for a brand new auger that will work properly and have warranty is worth it to me just to avoid the hassle and downtime etc. I am not rich but maybe am more well off then the OP, up to him what he decides to do.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 AM

Should be able to get parts from Yetmans in Winnipeg. Think they are the Eskimo distributor.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:00 PM

If I ever wrecked a friends auger I would have it replaced so fast. Just saying. Seems to be a real lack of accountability out there now.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
Should be able to get parts from Yetmans in Winnipeg. Think they are the Eskimo distributor.
I tried For a piston from there yesterday and they said eskimo does not offer them and not suggestion of any where else to find one. Damb through away world . I enjoy tinkering with things like that.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Tell buddy he is the proud owner of a busted auger and he is buying you a replacement.
x2
Old 02-06-2018, 08:49 AM

At this point if intent on saving it, I would tear it down and assess the internal damage... You might get away with a set of new rings, a small engine shop likely be able to find a match for you as well for the piston, bearings, rings, etc, but would need the old ones to measure up.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellitsme View Post
I tried For a piston from there yesterday and they said eskimo does not offer them and not suggestion of any where else to find one. Damb through away world . I enjoy tinkering with things like that.
Like I said you need to look outside Eskimo. I these 33 cc engines may be the identical ones used in scooters and “earthquake” branded earth augers. (Also think they are a china knock off of the Japan Tanka 3300 engine) A quick search will find you the scooter engine pistons. I’d tear into the auger see what it needs If it’s just a few parts and worth fixing take measurements and compare to avalible parts.

Now all that being said no one is tearing into these things to fix them on a regular basis or parts would be easily available. It’s a Chinese throw away for most. I’d try to fix it for $50 just for a project but that’s just me
Old 02-06-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellitsme View Post
Hello
Im in need of a motor for a eskimo stingray 33cc. As I lent it to a friend yesterday and he didn't think there was enough fuel in it and filled it up with gas (not mixed) then when I got there told me it had no power and was wondering why.

But Im wondering if there is any augers out there with the gear boxes shot. and people are not using cause they just bought a new one. And are willing to get rid of cheaply. LOL

Thanks a lot
How long do you think he ran it for with straight fuel? And I’m just curious if you poured all the old gas out and mixed a new batch to see if it will still work.Im just guessing you stop using the auger right away so you wouldnt cause anymore damage but it could be still good to go. Go get yourself a compression tester and see how much compression it has.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-06-2018, 09:48 AM

If anyone local would have parts/know how to get them it would be the lawnmower hospital.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
How long do you think he ran it for with straight fuel? And I’m just curious if you poured all the old gas out and mixed a new batch to see if it will still work.Im just guessing you stop using the auger right away so you wouldnt cause anymore damage but it could be still good to go. Go get yourself a compression tester and see how much compression it has.
I am unsure but at least 4-5 holes and yes I dumped out that fuel took the carb off and got all that fuel out also then put in new premixed Aspen fuel and a new plug. It started and would somewhat idle but still seems to not have the power it did. I work EMS and work 96 hours straight so have not been able to get to the lake to try it on the ice. Im off on wed. so I am going to head out then an try it out. If this does not work Ill pull it apart and start looking for the parts needed. I will be fixing it for sure.

I did see a scooter that the motor looked identical to the viper will check that out after I get it apart.

As for the friend and paying for It, I will be giving him the bill either way (fixed or new.) It will never be lent out again Ill tell you that.

With all this said, I can get a new one (no auger just topend) for

stingray $150 usd $195 cnd (ish 30%) $349.99 seen it some where
z51 $205 usd $266.50 cnd (ish 30%) M51 $449.99 cabelas.ca
z71 $250 usd $312.50 cnd (ish 30%) $569.99 cabelas.ca

and free shipping to the border im only 40min from there so running down there is closer then driving to Calgary. I have an auger and this may be a chance to up grade.

Does anyone know the difference between the z51 and m51 the only place I can find the m51 is Cabelas.ca and it looks like the m43 mako where the z51 looks like the z71. does anyone know of any other mind changing differences. If you were to buy one would it be the stingray or the z51 (the z71 is to big)

I am thanking you all very much for all the help. once I figure out what is all wrong with the auger I will post on it.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:47 PM

So I decided to order the Z51 from the Eskimo eBay site it cost me about $260 for the powerhead with no flighting. I got it shipped to Babb Montana I only live about 40-ish minutes away because there it was free shipping. I went down to get it, got it home paid only $12 GST at the border which wasn't too bad so now I'm up to about $275 plus gas to get there. Once I got it home I open the box and noticed it was an M51 not the Z51 that I ordered. I caurlled Eskimo told the lady that I ordered the Z51 she look me up and she said yes you did I told her I got an M51 she said they didn't make them. I told her that Cabela's sells the m51, she said oh it's a private label. The difference between the two is the handlebars and the M 51 doesn't have a hypercoil she told me she could send me a hypercoil and handlebars but when I told her that I need the handlebars the throttle cable throttle trigger and everything she didn't think that they could figure that out. So she proceeded to tell me that she will just send me a new z51. I said but I need it for this weekend cuz I was going fishing she said don't worry about it I don't want it back. She then proceeded to tell me that once I got the new one I could sell the other one to a friend if I wanted. So all in all a friend wrecked call my Stingray I ordered a Z51 and ended up with a M51 and an Z51 so I guess I did pretty good paid about $135 each. I also broke down and bought a 10in auger for one of the motors that cost me another $120 from the same site so for $395 I got a 2 51 CC powerheads and 10 in auger. The customer service at Eskimo is top notch.