Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2017, 08:07 PM

Default BC Salmon fishing

2 Saskatchewan boys want to go fishing for salmon and halibut. No idea were to go and who with. Ideas greatly appreciated

Thanks Edge
Old 09-27-2017, 08:25 PM

Campbell river 2nd week of August, for Salmon anyway, not sure about halibut.

http://www.absolutesportfishing.ca/i...shing_calendar

I have nothing to say about absolute sport fishing good or bad - I know nothing about them, just thought the link might help.

I love Campbell River, the people there are so nice.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZED View Post
2 Saskatchewan boys want to go fishing for salmon and halibut. No idea were to go and who with. Ideas greatly appreciated

Thanks Edge
Are you looking to go with a charter? or are you dragging a boat out there. If you're looking to catch a ton of amazing fish just book with Serengeti Fishing Charters out of Port Hardy. I have followed a lot of guides instagrams and posts online since moving to BC and from what I see nobody catches more fish than these guys and they seem to work harder for you than all the rest.

Port Hardy is a totally wild place to go too. Way out there and will see lots of wildlife.

If you want to go to a cool town I'd recommend Ucluelet and go with one of the guides out there like Morning Magic Sportfishing, they have a pretty good instagram account as well.

I'd stick to the charters on the outside of the island or port hardy if you are interested in Halibut. Not as many on the inside.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 PM

^^^^^ like just posted Serengetti Charters Is the place to go .. we went with them 2 years ago and by day 3 I didn't even wanna hold a fishing rod anymore.. not to mention accommodation and food were un real and they took very good care of us . Top notch experience and definitely a first class operation..

Mamba
Old 09-28-2017, 10:19 AM

I did not do a charter but I did the kayak derby at Moutcha Bay I liked the place . Mid July to mid August is peak as I understand it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 09-29-2017, 04:28 PM

how much per person per day is Serengeti Charters? how far up is it from Nanaimo?
Old 09-29-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru fisher View Post
how much per person per day is Serengeti Charters? how far up is it from Nanaimo?
I don't know how much it costs with them as I just fish on my boat. As far as directions and distance goes you can search that on google maps?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 09-29-2017, 05:54 PM

Default Rupert

If you want to go North, which is where I always have gone, get ahold of Surhuntsalot on the forum. He is a guide on the Northern Bounty. He knows his stuff, his technique is awesome, you will never have issues with Travis. Him and Shea are the best I know, Shea is guiding out of Bella Bella during summers.

Let us know how you made out!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-12-2018, 06:38 PM

Ended up 4 going with Serengeti fishing charters
Nobody to pick us up at the airport
The meals were absolutely dreadful the sea gulls wouldn't even eat the lunch that was made for us
It took 2 days to get our halibut
That left 1 day for salmon we got 4 kings and 2 silvers While the others guests were getting salmon every day
We fished for ling for about 15 minutes then the guide said roll up the reels we are leaving
We fished from Aug 1-3 on the last day they were leaving for a concert and they couldn't be rid of us fast enough
Dave senior was aware we weren't happy with the events and he said he would call us but he didn't
The 2 Japanese fellows that were there requested any guide but the one we got
Our guide was more interested in driving up and down the ocean than getting his customers fish

Would I recommend Serengeti Fishing Charters to anyone ABSOLUTELY not

EZED
Old 08-12-2018, 06:50 PM

serengeti is a joke imo . would not go back for free. all smoke and mirrors. have done newton cove the last two summers and will be back again next summer. food is great, service is next level. have brought back 50+ lbs of boneless fillets every time with 3 days of fishing. Not going to catch a 100 lb halibut but they will fill your limit on everything you can catch.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:56 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZED View Post
Ended up 4 going with Serengeti fishing charters
Nobody to pick us up at the airport
The meals were absolutely dreadful the sea gulls wouldn't even eat the lunch that was made for us
It took 2 days to get our halibut
That left 1 day for salmon we got 4 kings and 2 silvers While the others guests were getting salmon every day
We fished for ling for about 15 minutes then the guide said roll up the reels we are leaving
We fished from Aug 1-3 on the last day they were leaving for a concert and they couldn't be rid of us fast enough
Dave senior was aware we weren't happy with the events and he said he would call us but he didn't
The 2 Japanese fellows that were there requested any guide but the one we got
Our guide was more interested in driving up and down the ocean than getting his customers fish

Would I recommend Serengeti Fishing Charters to anyone ABSOLUTELY not

EZED

Well I will tell you something straight up not all guides are equal, after the first day you should have barked if not then we'll the intent is your friend to complain.

I spent hard earned cash for outings and expect nothing but that hard earned guides at the same time I work with them, had one fella many years ago attempt to jerk us around fishing, I had my GPS and marked areas we dumped him and returned later with a rental boat to enjoy the rest of our trip.

Make the best of it.

Oh yeah make sure the boss knows of this hammerhead that lacks in abilities to guide...might have been on the short list and in his/her way out plus it might have gotten you a few outings free of charge....be tactful in your delivery though.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-12-2018, 07:02 PM

Well 4 prairie boys got an education
Yes we might be a little too polite to say anything but we are educated now
DAVE sr had his chance to talk to us and obviously our business isn't important
Would we recommend them to anyone else
ABSOLUTELY NOT

EZED
Old 08-12-2018, 07:18 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
serengeti is a joke imo . would not go back for free. all smoke and mirrors. have done newton cove the last two summers and will be back again next summer. food is great, service is next level. have brought back 50+ lbs of boneless fillets every time with 3 days of fishing. Not going to catch a 100 lb halibut but they will fill your limit on everything you can catch.
You’re a guide at another lodge (newton cove actually) as indicated by this thread. Pretty gutless to pretend otherwise

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthrea...engeti+halibut

Tim did struggle while they were up (he is actually on fire right now) but the other two groups did very well (actually limited out on everything) This is unfortunate that it was one of the few trips we ever see negative commentary on a year. At any lodge this will occur but we always strive to be better and I even asked the guys for ways on how to improve. As for airport we weren’t even made aware in upcoming days how you were going to arrive, Jonah was there to pick up other guests and let me know you guys were there too so I came right away, so that is a pretty unfair comment.

As you know my dad had his mother’s funeral the Saturday right after you left. So his mind isn’t exactly focused to say the least. He did call you though and left a message (was beside him when he did)...while you may be unhappy with your trip please be honest and welcome to call back anytime. Thank you.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast

Last edited by Serengeti Charters; 08-12-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:48 PM

EZED, I feel for you.

For the price charged, I would not recommend Serengeti. I was pretty disappointed as well. Our guide had a pretty bad attitude. I'll leave the names and details out. Not a happy camper and will never be back to that operation. That said, Dave Sr. is one of the best fishermen and guides I ever met. If you could just fish with him...well then at least the fishing and company is tops. The food and the rest, not worth the $$

I'll be back to Port Hardy as I like that area. But with another operation or with my own boat.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
EZED, I feel for you.

For the price charged, I would not recommend Serengeti. I was pretty disappointed as well. Our guide had a pretty bad attitude. I'll leave the names and details out. Not a happy camper and will never be back to that operation. That said, Dave Sr. is one of the best fishermen and guides I ever met. If you could just fish with him...well then at least the fishing and company is tops. The food and the rest, not worth the $$

I'll be back to Port Hardy as I like that area. But with another operation or with my own boat.
Thanks for the post. I am not really a charter/west coast guy but 2 of my sons wanted to take me salmon fishing so I was considering these guys. I will keep a wide berth now.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Thanks for the post. I am not really a charter/west coast guy but 2 of my sons wanted to take me salmon fishing so I was considering these guys. I will keep a wide berth now.
depending on finance but look hard at alaska. More money but better limits which lets you bring a lot more home.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
depending on finance but look hard at alaska. More money but better limits which lets you bring a lot more home.
Thanks never thought about Alaska. That might be the ticket I have never been there before.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well I will tell you something straight up not all guides are equal, after the first day you should have barked if not then we'll the intent is your friend to complain.
That's pretty harsh and quite the judgement with you being ill-informed of the actual circumstances.
Were you there to see them drop their chins and sadly walk onto the boat every day?
They spent a hell of a lot of money for a lackluster trip, stomping on his nuts while he is warning other outdoorsmen doesn't say much for our site, does it?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-12-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Thanks never thought about Alaska. That might be the ticket I have never been there before.
We are doing the same, but fishing out of Rupert. It's only another 5-10 miles from the top end of Dundas to fish Yankee salt. 2 Hali any size per person per day has a very strong appeal. Next time.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:08 PM

Terrible story EZED I’ve heard variations of the same story over the years of going with charter guys. It’s one of the reasons i have my own boat now. I have been lucky enough to not have been out with one of those shady charter guys. I used to go with a guide by the name of Maynardo Carlos in Prince Rupert MCA fishing charters I believe not sure if he’s still taking guys or retired from it. I know his back wasn’t what it once was due to constant pounding of the ocean. He was considered one of the best for catching fish out there and a class act of a man. A fellow I see every year and talk to that I would go with just because I believe him to be of the same nature is Mel Kuemper of PR fishing charters. He’s always the first guy at the dock waiting for his clients ready to go so is his boat and gear. Lots of others up there not so much big drug and alcohol problems with lots of these guys. Seen plenty of fishermen waiting for there guides to show up some mornings.

Hope you go out again it’s an experience to be had feel free to Pm me if you ever consider Prince Rupert I have a few phone numbers of quality guides there.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:39 AM

Nootka Marine Adventures is a good place to go. Good salmon runs still, halibut, and if you wanted to make the run offshore for albacore tuna you can.
They have 3 different resorts you can stay at depending on what your looking for.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
We are doing the same, but fishing out of Rupert. It's only another 5-10 miles from the top end of Dundas to fish Yankee salt. 2 Hali any size per person per day has a very strong appeal. Next time.
Buddies of mine went into Alaska from Rupert this year. They did well and said the boys at Dolly's were pretty excited to see some big halibut again.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Buddies of mine went into Alaska from Rupert this year. They did well and said the boys at Dolly's were pretty excited to see some big halibut again.
I am right on the fence trying to decide if I should go one more time.....

The idea sure is intriguing!!!

Old 08-13-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe.JKU View Post
Nootka Marine Adventures is a good place to go. Good salmon runs still, halibut, and if you wanted to make the run offshore for albacore tuna you can.
They have 3 different resorts you can stay at depending on what your looking for.
Nootka Marine Adventures is a good outfit for sure but any real decent fishing for Chinook is all offshore now.

The last 4 years have had the worst returns to Nootka Sound in the last 50. You can still get lucky and get a fresh run come in and have decent fishing for a few days but overall it just plain sucks. A lot of the guides I know have left for greener pastures and most the outfits are hurting. I thought this might have been the year but it wasn’t stellar if you stayed on inside water. 5 days and you were lucky to go away with half a dozen fish with very few breaking 20 pounds.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
That's pretty harsh and quite the judgement with you being ill-informed of the actual circumstances.
Were you there to see them drop their chins and sadly walk onto the boat every day?
They spent a hell of a lot of money for a lackluster trip, stomping on his nuts while he is warning other outdoorsmen doesn't say much for our site, does it?
All I am saying from what I gathered if I lay down hard earned cash I expect a guide to perform, now that being said if there is underlying issues then the outfitter needs to be honest with the clients and adjust accordingly to make it right.
I think we are on the same page on this one?

Old 08-13-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
All I am saying from what I gathered if I lay down hard earned cash I expect a guide to perform, now that being said if there is underlying issues then the outfitter needs to be honest with the clients and adjust accordingly to make it right.
I think we are on the same page on this one?
Those points I agree with absolutely unequivocally. Whether it happens or not, is anyone's guess. It all falls on the morals of the Lodge and the control they have over the guides.
I have only went to 1 Lodge twice, that being Jamie's. It is hard to say anything on day 1 when there is 2-3 more days to go and you have time and money invested in the trip. Imagine the owner saying 'don't like it? Enjoy the couch'. (Jamie never said that btw)

Plus, it is fishing and sometimes the rods are cold. That's not the guide's fault all the time.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:35 PM
Gone Hunting

I was a big game guide for a number of years.

One thing I learned, no matter how hard one tries there will always be one person, or one party who aren't satisfied.

I never take one dissatisfied customer as reason to avoid any business.

As with any business, the owner has to know there is a problem and the nature of that problem before he or she can do anything about it. But many dissatisfied customers seem to expect the owner to know without being told.

I've found that such individuals are often impossible to please once they decide they have been wronged.

It seems to me that trashing a guys business on a public forum is not the gentleman's way of dealing with such matters.

I am old school and I know my ways are considered outdated. And it is only my opinion, take it or leave it.

Still, it seems to me that we outdoorsman and women have enough enemies without attacking each other.

I believe that complaints within our ranks should be kept private at least until all other avenues have been exhausted.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-13-2018, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

One thing I learned, no matter how hard one tries there will always be one person, or one party who aren't satisfied.

As with any business, the owner has to know there is a problem and the nature of that problem before he or she can do anything about it. But many dissatisfied customers seem to expect the owner to know without being told.

I've found that such individuals are often impossible to please once they decide they have been wronged.

It seems to me that trashing a guys business on a public forum is not the gentleman's way of dealing with such matters.

I am old school and I know my ways are considered outdated. And it is only my opinion, take it or leave it.

Still, it seems to me that we outdoorsman and women have enough enemies without attacking each other.

I believe that complaints within our ranks should be kept private at least until all other avenues have been exhausted.
When ever someone comments on unfavorable service on outfitters fishing or hunting, gun builds, campgrounds, etc. there are always people asking who, what, when, where , why.............happens all the time on here. You have never seen these threads, multiple threads some days.

Last edited by bobalong; 08-13-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:21 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

It is very true. We have hundreds of guests through here every year, there will always be someone who doesn't enjoy their trip unfortunately. We have about a 75% rebooking rate, and I doubt you could find many places that can say that. Both groups that were here when Edge was already booked for next season! That has to say something, and like I said a guide struggling did occur, I will never debate that. We tried to make it right and if we had heard such comments during the actual trip would have made changes, but never did, until after and on here. We are a family business and have fished and hunted all over the world so have been customers dozens of times, so know how it works well. know it was Edge's first west coast trip so next time hope he voices his concerns early if he has any. I don't think some of his comments were fair, and some were, but we are always looking to improve and that is why we asked his opinion afterwards several times, just wish we had it earlier as I would have taken them out for a day or two, and as many on here know who have fished with me (david jr) we would have slayed and had a blast.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 08-14-2018, 06:01 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
It is very true. We have hundreds of guests through here every year, there will always be someone who doesn't enjoy their trip unfortunately. We have about a 75% rebooking rate, and I doubt you could find many places that can say that. Both groups that were here when Edge was already booked for next season! That has to say something, and like I said a guide struggling did occur, I will never debate that. We tried to make it right and if we had heard such comments during the actual trip would have made changes, but never did, until after and on here. We are a family business and have fished and hunted all over the world so have been customers dozens of times, so know how it works well. know it was Edge's first west coast trip so next time hope he voices his concerns early if he has any. I don't think some of his comments were fair, and some were, but we are always looking to improve and that is why we asked his opinion afterwards several times, just wish we had it earlier as I would have taken them out for a day or two, and as many on here know who have fished with me (david jr) we would have slayed and had a blast.
Keep posting those pics please.....fish porn!