Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-14-2021, 08:48 PM

Default Pigeon lake.

Finally going to get a chance to get out and do a little fishing. Taking my daughter probably to Pigeon Lake. Has anybody been there lately, and how has the fishing been? Thank you for your response.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:05 PM

Fishing was good last weekend.We fished the island area in the SE and a spot in the middle and had good results both jigging and trolling.Have not fished the PP side at all so I cant offer anything for that area.Pretty much any spot in the lake at this time of the year with structure will produce walleye.Good luck if you head out.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:14 PM

Are there any concerns with launching a 17 ft boat and any areas which one would stay away from, shallow spots, rocks, underwater hidden obstructions. Never been but next week off. Might be good for a day trip or two if I can camp and use my motorhome to launch. Thanks in advance
Old 09-16-2021, 12:00 PM

pp boat launch ,no problems in getting your boat in there
Old 09-16-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Are there any concerns with launching a 17 ft boat and any areas which one would stay away from, shallow spots, rocks, underwater hidden obstructions. Never been but next week off. Might be good for a day trip or two if I can camp and use my motorhome to launch. Thanks in advance
Launching should not be a problem. There are shallow areas that go a long way out on Pigeon so I would never motor fast close to shore but as soon as you're 2 or 3 hundred meters off shore your fine.
The Rock island in the south east is one exception though.

There are a number of shallow rock submerged humps in the shallow water off Mulhurst Lutheran Church Camp and St Basils Church Camp. They are about 2 hundred meters off shore and only about a foot or so deep this year.

One last place of caution is off Golden Days. A number of years a go a cabin owner was bringing in a load of big rock to protect his beach from wave erosion in the winter. The truck broke through the ice before it got to his beach and they dumped the load out there someplace. The water is very shallow out there along way out so again I don't motor fast in that area.

I set my depth alarm on my sounder at 16 feet and don't motor fast on that lake any shallower than that unless I know the area.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Launching should not be a problem. There are shallow areas that go a long way out on Pigeon so I would never motor fast close to shore but as soon as you're 2 or 3 hundred meters off shore your fine.
The Rock island in the south east is one exception though.

There are a number of shallow rock submerged humps in the shallow water off Mulhurst Lutheran Church Camp and St Basils Church Camp. They are about 2 hundred meters off shore and only about a foot or so deep this year.

One last place of caution is off Golden Days. A number of years a go a cabin owner was bringing in a load of big rock to protect his beach from wave erosion in the winter. The truck broke through the ice before it got to his beach and they dumped the load out there someplace. The water is very shallow out there along way out so again I don't motor fast in that area.

I set my depth alarm on my sounder at 16 feet and don't motor fast on that lake any shallower than that unless I know the area.
Thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate it. If I decide on there I will keep a watchful eye on my sonar. Mostly I will not motor too hard if I don't know a lake. Plus I've learned a few lessons over the years of fishin shallow (klunk klunk and sand bar just drifting, did not think I needed shallow alarm on ). Does the PP have a dock to tie up at? Only ask cause I have to unload and load, wifey drives straight ahead and parks. No backing up for her. LOL
Old 09-16-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate it. If I decide on there I will keep a watchful eye on my sonar. Mostly I will not motor too hard if I don't know a lake. Plus I've learned a few lessons over the years of fishin shallow (klunk klunk and sand bar just drifting, did not think I needed shallow alarm on ). Does the PP have a dock to tie up at? Only ask cause I have to unload and load, wifey drives straight ahead and parks. No backing up for her. LOL
there was a dock it still should be there .
Old 09-21-2021, 07:29 PM

No luck getting the wife out during the summer to fill the Class B tags at Pigeon. Snuck out Sunday first thing. Launched @ 9 a.m. 15 minutes later all 4 tags were filled. Then we decided to try a bit deeper and cleaned out a tub of minnows on wallies over 50 cm. Some were pushing 57-58 cm. Done by end of minnow tub in about and hour and half total. Caught all mine on a fly rod with sinking line.

For supper, fresh fried walleye with dill, lemon pepper, coating and fried in oil and butter. Roasted potatoes and veggies from the BBQ...
Amazing!

Old 09-21-2021, 09:06 PM

Default Pigeon Lake

That’s good to hear Snap. Heading out there next week with the wife. Thanks for the report.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:08 PM

was out Sunday walleye fishing was good at some spots and slow at others, pays to move around to different place on the lake .
whitefish should start to school up and get ready to spawn soon.