Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 PM

Default Anyone like the 325 wsm caliber?

I shot my Dall sheep this year with my guides browning 325 wsm. My gun (and me) took a bad spill. The 325 wsm flattened that ram! I wish Sako would make one. Does anyone think they will soon? Let me know if you think it's worth buying.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:08 PM

Default Anyoner like the 325 wsm?

Let me know if you think it's worth owning?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:18 AM

YUP! especially if you like the 8mm bullets.
Cat
Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post
Depends on the gun more than the caliber. Rather have a .338 Win Mag or .338RCM, maybe even a .338 Federal. .325 WSM's probably just fine, but a bit more gun than I'll ever need in this part of the world
Old 01-09-2008, 07:34 AM

Default 325wsm

I've been waiting for this discussion for a bit and have spent the last few nights doing some reading on this calibre.

I was planning on purchasing a 338wm as addition to my current 30-06 but noticed that some of the newer model guns i'm interested in seem to only be chambered for the 325wsm and not the 338wm.

There seems to be a smaller selection of the 8mm bullets compared to the 338 but thats fine with me. I dont need a huge selection. I'm just looking for a gun with a little more punch than my 30-06. I know its all shot placement but I'm still quite excited to get a new toy to play with.

From the reading I've done so far, the 325wsm seems pretty good to me.

Now I just need to hurry up and wait for the new model 70 to come out.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 01-09-2008, 10:22 AM

I like it. In fact once my 270WSM purchase is out of the way, I will be savin pennies for the 325. I like the fact that it is short action, and from what I have read, and heard from those in the know, they perform somewhat close to the 338, but burn less powder per pill, as well as less recoil.

Do I NEED one? probably not, but I want to have one, and I will be rigging it up a bit different then my other rifles, so why not.
My only concern with this calibre, is ammo availability, but I reload, so I will for sure be stockpiling on new brass once I get close to buying it. I say go for it if you want one, plus the more dudes that buy one...........the more popular they will be.......
Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 AM

One of my hunting partners purchased one and hunted with it last year....

I shot it a few times at the range and have to admit, being a handloader, I got excited about the 8mm possibilities....

But that being said, it is a lot of gun to shoot.....and quite frankly, he couldn't handle the recoil well at all, making the rifle fairly useless in his hands...

In his hands it was a prefect example of not being able to shoot a rifle of that "punch" and he would have been better off shooting something smaller that he could manage....

Otherwise....I liked it! His was a browning White gold medallion....beautiful rifle....I don't own anything larger than my 300WSM, and would seriously consider buying one if I ever wanted to get into anything larger....
Old 01-10-2008, 04:03 AM

There are tons of people these days thinking they either need to re-invent the wheel, or shoot something that has been reinvented.

If you think the .325 "flattened" the sheep better than a host of other cartridges that could easily have done it just as well.....so be it.

But if your asking if its the "end all/be all" cartridge...it aint!

I would throw a bet out there, that in the next 7 yrs, it will be a "has been, that wasnt quite a nothing" cartridge.

IMO there are lots available out there, that qualify as a "sheep blaster" long before the .325 WSM does!

READ .338 Winchester Magnum.....How many folks consider this to be a "sheep gun"??
Old 11-05-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABwhitetail View Post
One of my hunting partners purchased one and hunted with it last year....

I shot it a few times at the range and have to admit, being a handloader, I got excited about the 8mm possibilities....

But that being said, it is a lot of gun to shoot.....and quite frankly, he couldn't handle the recoil well at all, making the rifle fairly useless in his hands...

In his hands it was a prefect example of not being able to shoot a rifle of that "punch" and he would have been better off shooting something smaller that he could manage....

Otherwise....I liked it! His was a browning White gold medallion....beautiful rifle....I don't own anything larger than my 300WSM, and would seriously consider buying one if I ever wanted to get into anything larger....
I'm suprised at the comment concerning recoil - I find mine to be only sligthly more than my 270 Win in a Rem BDL (the 325 is a Browning Composite SS Stalker - 6.5lbs, approx a pound lighter than the 270). I keep seeing people refer to the 325 has having "harsh" or "horrible" recoil; makes me wonder if we're talking about the same cartridge.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I own one, love it, shoot deer,moose, bear using factory 220 gr. knocked them down hard. minimum meat damage, not bad recoil. all my other guns are feeling rejected after I bought the 325.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:16 AM

I load the 325WSM for two different fellas, and they both simply love it!
The rifles are Browings however, don't know if sako will do one.
I also know a guy who shoots one in a browning single shot - same thing, loves the caliber.

Cat
Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 AM

Default Sako

I think Sako will push the 338 Federal caliber they released last year.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I shot my Dall sheep this year with my guides browning 325 wsm. My gun (and me) took a bad spill. The 325 wsm flattened that ram! I wish Sako would make one. Does anyone think they will soon? Let me know if you think it's worth buying.
I own a 30-06, a 270, and a new 325. I shoot custom loads of Accubond 200 grains and I am very satisfied. i recently proved to a fireend just what kind of damage it could do by shooting throug a 10" thick fir tree, and the bullet was a perfect mushroom. I shoot just under 3000' per second, sighted in at 1 1/2' high at 100 yards, using a leupold 4.5x14 scope with compensator. I have shot it many times while dialing in what powder nad grains of powder to use. It is not s hard kicking gun. It shoots no harder then my 30-06. Those who can not handle it can use a limb saver pad and it will protect those who cannot handle the recoil. Of course my belief is...if you can not handle the recoil, why are you shooting big game. I have complete faith of my 325 hitting what I want at 400 plus yards, so a moose at 100 yards is dinner. Bullet placement is always the key, and thats why serious hunters like you are doing your home work. I did mine, and I am very happy. One heads up I will warn those of you who are thinking of buying one, is that Browning has been known to sel some with faulty barrels. My first was faulty, my replacement was great. the difference was the good barrel was made in Japan, the faulty one was from the USA. Look to see which one you have. browning gave me over $400 in Browning grear for my wasted money in sighting in ammo neede to prove the barrel was faulty, only after I threatened to go to the attorney general of my state. I would still buy one though.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:48 AM

The .303 British likely provided more moose dinners in Canada last week than the 325wsm will provide around the world in the rest of this century!!!!
Old 11-26-2009, 11:32 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Durb View Post
I own a 30-06, a 270, and a new 325. I shoot custom loads of Accubond 200 grains and I am very satisfied. i recently proved to a fireend just what kind of damage it could do by shooting throug a 10" thick fir tree, and the bullet was a perfect mushroom. I shoot just under 3000' per second, sighted in at 1 1/2' high at 100 yards, using a leupold 4.5x14 scope with compensator. I have shot it many times while dialing in what powder nad grains of powder to use. It is not s hard kicking gun. It shoots no harder then my 30-06. Those who can not handle it can use a limb saver pad and it will protect those who cannot handle the recoil. Of course my belief is...if you can not handle the recoil, why are you shooting big game. I have complete faith of my 325 hitting what I want at 400 plus yards, so a moose at 100 yards is dinner. Bullet placement is always the key, and thats why serious hunters like you are doing your home work. I did mine, and I am very happy. One heads up I will warn those of you who are thinking of buying one, is that Browning has been known to sel some with faulty barrels. My first was faulty, my replacement was great. the difference was the good barrel was made in Japan, the faulty one was from the USA. Look to see which one you have. browning gave me over $400 in Browning grear for my wasted money in sighting in ammo neede to prove the barrel was faulty, only after I threatened to go to the attorney general of my state. I would still buy one though.
Hey Durb,
Are your velocities [Just under 3000 fps] chronied, or estimated? What powder are you using?
Thanks
Old 11-08-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I can't speak for Sako, but I just purchased a 325 WSM in a Browning X-Bolt, the sythentic SS Stalker. Light rifle (~6.5#), topped it with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40. I don't think the entire package breaks 7# by very much.

I'll be taking it on its first hunt in a couple of weeks...

I had read several postings concerning recoil with the WSM calibers in the light rilfes (like the Stalker). However, after spending some time punching paper with it (and with my BDL 270 Win as a direct comparison), I did not find this round to be a heavy recoiler at all. It does give more of a push than my 270, but not a significant amount more. I realize recoil sensitivity is a very individual thing (and I've also read that my configuration of caliber/rifle should recoil almost as much as a 375 HH). I won't argue the math, but I can only assume those dis'ing this cartridge/rifle on recoil haven't actually fired one. Either that or they should stick to rimfires ;-) .

Accuracy was (to me) exceptional - .750 groups with Nosler Custom 200 gr AB. Even with that, most of the group size can be attributed to me rather than the rifle. In a machine rest it would probably be one ragged hole.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Thumbs up 325wsm

Well...

When I was trying to decide what to buy for hunting moose, I chose a caliber that seemed to promise that a well placed shot would take it down quickly. But one I could handle without my needing all kinds of recoil protective accessories.. (I hate muzzle brakes).

People seem to want to compare the 325 caliber with a lot of others; does it hit as heavy as a.......? is it as accurate as a........? This caliber is a great choice. No need for all the comparisons.. if you have already got a .338, youve got it covered for heavier game at longer ranges. If you don't, this caliber is definitely worth considering.

My take so far.. I've been loading for my 325 BLR since I got it in the spring. Testing with several diffferent bullets... (Nosler 200 Accubonds and 200 Partitions, Sierra 220 Boattails, and some Nosler 180 BTs.) several different powders... (4350, 4831, 7828) all at a variety of powder charges.

I'm left with some conclusions...

1. The recoil... is not bad at all. I've had a couple of days where I fired 3 x 24 shot bullet test groups, and I DO think around 60 in a day should be about max. (as well as 60 or 80 SKS shots in between while the 325's barrel cools But it has never left me with a bruise like my brother's 45/70 has. And it does not seem to have the recoil of a .338. If I had to make a comparison, I'd say it DOES hit harder than a 30-06 but not a lot.

2. This gun (my BLR) is VERY sensitive to what it likes for bullets. It is very accurate with 220s in a wide range of powder charges, so far especially with 4831 and 7828. It has a narrower (but workable) range of powder charges it likes with 200s, but in that range it is also very accurate with some mixes. And.. so far.. it hates everything I do with 180s. All powders, all COLs, all powder charges.... it just sprays them all over. It also does not like factory loaded 180 Ballistic Silver tips.. not all of them even cut paper! But it is extremely accurate with the much cheaper 220 power points.

So... Yes.. the gun is accurate.. you just have to know what to feed it. And no, the 'kick' is not too bad at all. And yes.. I got this gun to hunt moose with, and no, I do not regret not buying a 338, 375, 416 or bigger.

P&D has plenty of 8mm bullets and every time I go in, they have lots of 325 brass. So far, not an issue, but I have accumulated a bunch now, and will buy more if the caliber seems to be faltering in popularity.

Just my take. But I won't be selling mine.

-Frank
Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 PM

I'm snooping for another rifle, I don't have a .300 or a .338, I think the .325 is a good choice for a elk/moose/bear gun. if you don't have anything 30 cal mag. or more, it's inbetween the 2, should have "best of both".

I shot a 7 mag and don't need anything else - but want is totally different!

If remington will chamber it to one of their newer rifles, I'll be buyin'

Last edited by TUFFBUFF; 11-09-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-13-2009, 01:41 PM

Got another big doe the other day with my .325wsm. I'm really starting to like this for an all rounder. Even with 180 grain BST, it just punches right through with no meat damage. I don't think it even opened up. Shot was about 150yards, knocked her over, she got back up walked about 10 yards then dropped. Damage was considerable inside, but again, no meat damage.

For me, I intend to use this rifle for everything from deer on up.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:26 AM

I realize that this is a one year old post on the 325, but did enjoy the info shared by the "boys with blasting toys". I was set to buy one last winter and went to Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary and couldn't find anything in a left hand bolt. So I picked up a Savage, stainless / composite stock, with the drop down floor plate bullet release. It's a decent shooter with federal 180 soft points. Unfortunately I did end up seeing a 325 Savage in Left hand some months later. Oh yea, I've always found Browning rifles seems to lean towards a lighter production rifle then some of the other gun companies, but most that I've shot have been decent enough to be considered something I'd take in the field. One of the posters here mentioned that the 180 grainers didn't shoot well in his 325 BLR. I seen the same problem with a 300 WM Savage bolt action that really liked 200 grainers and shot them like a dream. So sometimes bullet weight itself makes a real big difference, and powder charges, primers etc can narrow add some decent accuracy too.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:30 PM

I own and hunt with my browning a-bolt 325wsm and love it,but i'm trading in my trusty a-bolt for the x-bolt 325wsm. awsome cal. can't wait to shoot the x-bolt .
Old 05-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Wink 325 wsm

Congrats sheep nut on your dall. Inusing your guides 325 did you ever wonder why he was packing it? Not tosure that Sako has produced a 325 wsm but Kimber builds the Montana in that caliber. I was in the market for a over 30 calibre for up and coming hunts to the north for mixed bag. Needless to say that the Kimber found its way into my possesion. Mounted up with a Leupold 3x9 Ultalite scope this rifle turned into a serious mountain lightweight, just over 7 lbs. This rifle shoots very well 1 inch 100 yds. 3 shot 2650-2700fps 220gr. on my chrony. Not quite as flat as flat as my 270win but in big bear country what is more important? Sweet part is this package doesnt seem to big on shoulder abuse both ways. So when do we hear about your next part of the Slam. GOOD HUNTING.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Congrats sheep nut on your dall. Inusing your guides 325 did you ever wonder why he was packing it?
Jeepster nailed it. If you are looking for a "sheep rifle" just about anything will do........but they sure ain't the biggest/toughest critter walking around where I hunt sheep. I carry a 300 now......unless my partner has something this size or bigger....then i carry a 257bee.

tm
Old 05-29-2011, 09:19 AM

Just picked up a 325 WSM in a left hand Browning A bolt. Shoots really well with 200gr Accubonds and H 4350. Chronographed velocity with max load is 2850 out of the 23" barrel. My buddy's tried Win 760 but is not getting the accuracy but velocities are similar. I have a 338 Win Mag and 338 Fed and I bought the 325 WSM because I wanted to and to fill the gap in the rack of my gun cabinet.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM

Thumbs up 325

i bought a 325 abolt a few months ago on a whim and i sure enjoy it. i already had a 270wsm and enjoy the short action in both of them. the gun loves handloads and doesnt have a bad kick at all espescially compared to the 338s ive shot. i was able to whack 2 bears with it this last weekend and it seemed to do the job. might be my goto gun in the future.