Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 PM

Default Sustinance hunting

Have you seen this?

Was sent to me from a friend.
I cannot guarantee the backstory, but if true, it is wrong and has to be stopped....

My question;
Is there season open? Or natives?

Answer;
Natives. Shot this beauty down by Suffield and they say it scores close to 398. I will say he is a beauty, kinda like some of the ones I saw down there last fall. Them _____ natives are only suppose to be shooting for the meat, but looks like they are bragging.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:57 PM

Picture no worky...but if it is what I think it is....

IBTL

LC
Old 08-23-2012, 11:02 PM

Are they not supposed to shoot it because it is a trophy?

I have shot a couple of trophies (ya not many) and I ate them anyway.

Are they supposed to leave trophies for Caucasians?

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 08-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:09 PM

one time we came across 3 cow elk laying beside the road. everything was there, guts included except the hind quarters were gone. Called th FW, they came, took pictures, told us that there were a few natives they felt were responsible. They had seen it before but were unable to catch them. Don't know if they ever did catch them. I know one guy that shoots mule deer to feed his dogs, doesn't shoot does either.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 PM

No pic?
Sorry, I'll try to get it on PB

Why would the thread be locked?
Are there thin skins around here?

Would it be because it is about natives shooting prime bull elk to feed their families, when any number of cow elk would have been better eating in the first place?
Or is it because of the government mismanagement of the Suffield block where all of the "wild" horses were removed to make way for a "native" species which is now eating the local farmer/ranchers out of house and home?

Please clarify while I play around with the picture (it really deserves to be bigger anyways )
Old 08-23-2012, 11:12 PM

Like Lefty said ............... IBTL
Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 PM

No, they can shoot a trophy if they wish..................just wish they'd stop raping our natural resources!!! On a side note, I do know not all natives are like this....just the one's that do paint a pretty sad (disgusting) picture for themselves!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 PM

Sorry, I don't have the skills to resize it.

A bull like that, shot with rifle in mid-august, is not a trophy IMO.
Now, if you had killed it with a spear, I might be impressed .

I'm outa here
Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 PM

I hear a white dude poached a deer one time, but its unconfirmed so until then it's just conjecture.

But on the serious side of things if you hear people are breaking the law report them, it doesn't hurt to chat with the officers of the fish and fur variety, if they have nothing to hide they have nada to worry wbout
Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

Dang Injun's ......... IBTL !!!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:24 PM

IMHO....if you cannot guarantee the back story then why post this and stir the pot?

This elk "if taken" by native folks in Alberta was likely done as per the rules of a treaty that they were following.

You might not agree but it doesn't make it wrong.....

I shoot for meat too.....just so happens some of what I shoot also has horns

LC
Old 08-24-2012, 12:04 AM

Every horned critter I ever shot went in the same freezer as the others. But I did keep the horns for bragging - even though the meat was for eating.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 AM
Banned

It should be a federal offence with prison minimums for Indians to take any trophy game while sustinence hunting. They should be given tags from FW anytime they wish to go sustinence hunting and be forced to report and show all game taken.

Another option would be to give them the choice, monthly Indian cheques to keep them alive or sustinence hunting. Their choice but they should not get both. I don't work so they can survive.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:39 AM

My neighbor just got his card so he can subsistence hunt. His wife is a loans officer at a bank and he is a truck driver in the oil patch. 2 new leased vehicles house quads boat camper etc.Now u tell me he needs this? Bull Shi.I say.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:48 AM

Six hours ago and this hasn't been locked yet? I think we have a new record!

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
It should be a federal offence with prison minimums for Indians to take any trophy game while sustinence hunting. They should be given tags from FW anytime they wish to go sustinence hunting and be forced to report and show all game taken.

Another option would be to give them the choice, monthly Indian cheques to keep them alive or sustinence hunting. Their choice but they should not get both. I don't work so they can survive.
Im an indian...... whats this "monthly indian cheque" you speak of?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
IMHO....if you cannot guarantee the back story then why post this and stir the pot?

This elk "if taken" by native folks in Alberta was likely done as per the rules of a treaty that they were following.

You might not agree but it doesn't make it wrong.....

I shoot for meat too.....just so happens some of what I shoot also has horns

LC
X2

Plus always a treat to read the misinformation that always accompanies these threads. Monthly indian cheques? What are those? Do you mean welfare? Wish people would do some research before they make some of these statements.

As usual this type thread gets 2 big yawns for the beating a dead horse theme!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 AM

I agree with you deerhunter , but this is a system flaw. I can ask the government for a million dollars, is it my fault if they give it to me?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Im an indian...... whats this "monthly indian cheque" you speak of?
Do you people not get some sort of payment every month from your band/government? What about when you turn 18?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Just because some people think an animal's rack is important does not mean that it is.
Many of us could care less about how big the antlers are as long as it is legal.
Cat
Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
X2

Plus always a treat to read the misinformation that always accompanies these threads. Monthly indian cheques? What are those? Do you mean welfare? Wish people would do some research before they make some of these statements.

As usual this type thread gets 2 big yawns for the beating a dead horse theme!
Lot of lazy white folk on welfare too. Many know to the hour when they can pull the plug and sponge off the government til the next go around.

Without knowing the context of the story ........ when, where and how the bull was taken, the story mas absolutely no basis or merit and is just an excuse for a bunch of ill informed people to air their grievances about our First Nations people.

......... and yeah, that horse isn't getting deader.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Do you people not get some sort of payment every month from your band/government? What about when you turn 18?
No, many don't get crap from their band let alone a monthly cheque. Some bands may have some kind of royalties that they disperse with the members but that usually only happens occasionally, it isn't a monthly thing. If some bands are smart, they put this money into trust for those under 18, when said members turn 18 they'll be given the money that has been held in trust for them. Now if you're thinking this is extreme amounts of cash then you're mistaken. I would guess though that you're mistaken about most of what you think of how treaty works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Lot of lazy white folk on welfare too. Many know to the hour when they can pull the plug and sponge off the government til the next go around.

Without knowing the context of the story ........ when, where and how the bull was taken, the story mas absolutely no basis or merit and is just an excuse for a bunch of ill informed people to air their grievances about our First Nations people.

......... and yeah, that horse isn't getting deader.
There sure are and they're generational welfare recipients too. They'll pretend to give their kids the boot at 15 so those kids can start collecting their own cheques.

Doesn't matter which background people are from, if they know how to work they system they will.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 AM

Amazing how it went from a pot stirring thread to treaty check thread. Lol

and bb356...only fellow Nates can call Indians...injuns. Lets get it right.