Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2012, 02:56 PM

Default Fox outs Seal Team 6 Author

Hey All

For whatever reason I have been a Special Forces buff for as long as I can remember. I am a true Geek when it come to this.

I was very surprised to read that one of the Soldiers from the assault team was writing a book, even if under an assumed name. If I was surprised by the book, I am blown away that Fox would release the soldier’s name. The Pro GOP word out of Fox has been relentless on Obama for even releasing the fact that it was Seal Team 6 that carried out the assault, now Fox publishes the one of the soldier’s names. Soldier is quoted as saying it is time that the story is told but I wonder if there is something else (other than money) for the book in the first place. It would also be interesting to know who the sources are and what is the motivation sharing the name with the media. Why would Fox risk releasing the soldiers name even if they did uncover the name. Fox is so pro-GOP that I think their actions can effect Romney. Anyone think this is something that Romney is forced distance himself from?

I wonder if the reporter risks prosecution for releasing the name of a clandestine agent since the Seal Team 6 soldiers where under the direction of the CIA when the assault took place.

http://www.businessinsider.com/matt-...ell-all-2012-8
Old 08-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Banned

Fox News is utter and total garbage that's why.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Banned

OMG

I hope Fox news doesn't end up like Bradley Manning.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
Fox News is utter and total garbage that's why.
Agreed, they do tend towards leaning to the conservative side however ... anything to make a buck and get viewership.

Sometimes i wonder if they do these things so they can say, "we're fair and impartial"

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Banned

Fox news pretends to be conservative.

Actually it is very liberal.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:49 PM

It's been done before read Rouge Warrior by Seal Team Six creator Richard Marcinko
Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
It's been done before read Rouge Warrior by Seal Team Six creator Richard Marcinko
I know there are a couple of books out there but no book puts a target on a specific unit within the team or a single soldier within the team like this one.

Ironic thing is all this information may be public for no reason at all. Hard to say what is left of this book when the Navy and CIA are done with it. Might be nothing but black lines in place of redacted material.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:17 PM

Doodle read the book if you haven't , Marcinko came up with the idea of Seal Team Six back in the day..

RICHARD “DICK” MARCINKO BIOGRAPHY

Richard 'Dick' Marcinko (pronounced Mar-SINK-oh) – a.k.a. Demo Dick, a.k.a. Shark Man of the Delta – was born November 21, 1940 in Lansford, Pennsylvania. A Navy man for over 30 years, Dick’s military experience covered a wide range of billets requiring Special Warfare expertise.* The majority of these billets were in direct combat roles or crises management positions in direct support of the National Command Authority, which collectively refers to the President of the United States and the Secretary of Defense.*

His experience began after he enlisted in the US Navy in 1958 where he worked as a teletype operator at the Naval Air Station in Naples, Italy. He eventually worked his way into the Navy's Underwater Demolition Teams. During two tours in Vietnam serving as a Navy SEAL, Marcinko was awarded numerous medals including the Silver Star, four Bonze Stars with a Combat V, two Navy Commendation Medals, and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Silver Star. Marcinko and his SEAL platoon became such a problem for the enemy that the Viet Cong posted a reward of 50,000 piasters for his death.

After his time in Vietnam, he took a staff position at Little Creek Naval Base, followed by a stint in Monterrey, CA where he earned his B.A. in International Relations from the U.S. Navy Postgraduate School. In 1973 he reported to duty as a Naval Attaché to Cambodia where he spent 14 months advising (and actively assisting) the Cambodians in their fight with the Khmer Rouge. He left in 1975 to become the commanding officer of SEAL Team Two.

From SEAL Team TWO he attended the USAF Air Command & Staff College in Montgomery, Alabama and earned a MA in Political Science from Auburn University. He was then stationed at* the Pentagon where he served as a special operations planner assigned to the Joint Chiefs of Staff. While there, he assisted in the planning and training for the Iranian hostage dilemma, was the primary action officer for the maintenance of special warfare/unconventional warfare plans worldwide, served as the Navy representative to assist in the establishment of Rapid Deployment Force (RDF), and handled the daily intelligence for the Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Plans and Policy.

From there, Marcinko sold the idea and was eventually tasked with creating and commanding SEAL Team SIX, the Navy’s first and only counter-terrorist command. SEAL Team SIX engaged in highly classified missions from Central America to the Middle East, the North Sea to Africa and beyond, and established itself as the world’s foremost counter-terrorism unit.

Marcinko later was named commanding officer and founder of a second counter-terrorism unit, Red Cell. Commanding Red Cell, Marcinko was directed to use his team to test the Navy's anti-terrorist capabilities. As a result he was able to infiltrate seemingly impenetrable, highly-secured bases, nuclear submarines, ships and other purported "secure areas", including the U.S. Presidential plane Air Force One. In doing so he reportedly embarrassed several superior officers, whom he accuses of involvement in his subsequent conviction for misappropriation of funds and resources under his command.

His experiences led to The New York Times best-selling autobiography Rogue Warrior, as well as subsequent fictional novels in a series called “Rogue Warrior,” nine of which he co-wrote with John Weisman and three, most recently, with Jim DeFelice. Additionally, Marcinko has written three management and leadership books. He is currently under contract with Jim DeFelice for two additional fiction novels with TOR Publishing.

Marcinko is a spokesperson for Zodiac Boats Maritime Training Academy, Oakley Sunglasses, and is currently designing two knives as a Rogue Warrior series for Strider Knives.

He is now Chairman of the Board of Red Cell International Corp., a private security consulting firm based in Washington, DC, whose clients have included the Detroit Metropolitan Airport, the White House Fellows, and the U.S. Army War College. He also serves as President of Richard Marcinko, Inc. and President of SOS Temps, Inc., a motivational and team-building company, which counts among its clients General Motors, AT&T, Domino's Pizza, Motorola, BellSouth, and several other Fortune 500 companies.

Through Eastern Michigan University, Marcinko also provides graduate-level presentations on topics such as terrorism, security, and the adaptation of modern technology. He also speaks at the National Defense University and at George Mason University, discussing the terrorism vulnerabilities facing the Nation. He now has a politically conservative talk radio show, America on Watch with Dick Marcinko after hosting a talk show on Talk Radio Network for three years.

Military awards
Legion of Merit
Silver Star
Bronze Star with Combat V (4 times)
Navy Commendation Medal (2 times)
Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Silver Star

Last edited by Kanonfodder; 08-23-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Doodle read the book if you haven't , Marcinko came up with the idea of Seal Team Six back in the day..
I haven't read his book. Maybe I should pick it up.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle30 View Post
I haven't read his book. Maybe I should pick it up.
Best book ever...I read it three times
Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 PM

Didn't most of seal team six die in a helicopter crash.

What if the author is retired, would it make any difference. Look at Andy McNabb and Bravo Two Zero. Could be a ploy to boost recruitment. The American military is probably welcoming the publicity. Theres talk of a movie next.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 PM

I'd take everything on Fox news with a grain of salt, Google why they're not allowed in Canada for the reason. Also for giggles Google the name of the man who wanted to change the laws in this country that forbid the broadcasting of a lie on a news broadcast.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ft Arborist View Post
What if the author is retired, would it make any difference. Look at Andy McNabb and Bravo Two Zero. Could be a ploy to boost recruitment. The American military is probably welcoming the publicity. Theres talk of a movie next.
The author is now retired but he is still bound to secrecy about allot. I don't think that the Pentagon is very happy about the book potentially being released on September 11th. They have to approve books like this and the publisher circumvented the system by not seeking their approval. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a court injunction stopping the release of the book.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
I'd take everything on Fox news with a grain of salt, Google why they're not allowed in Canada for the reason. Also for giggles Google the name of the man who wanted to change the laws in this country that forbid the broadcasting of a lie on a news broadcast.
They're not allowed in Canada because of the left wing CRTC and the man that wanted to change the laws in this country to allow broadcasting lies: none other than Jean "giggles" Chretien. Good points.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Andy Mcnabb ........ Most of his book has been seriously questioned. Try reading "The Real Bravo Two Zero" or talking to any serving Brit soldiers if you want the word on Andy Mcnabb (Not his real name by the way). His version of Two Zero and Chris Ryan's are quite different in some area's.

Oh and several years ago the S.A.S. prohibited members from publishing events that took place during their service even after retiring. This was after the Mcnab's, Ryan's etc had retired....so won't there be anymore "True stories of the S.A.S" coming out. They can and do write novels though.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 08-24-2012 at 06:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-24-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
...and even his collaborated novels are kinda good.
Quite a guy and quite a life...turns 72 in a couple of months.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
They're not allowed in Canada because of the left wing CRTC and the man that wanted to change the laws in this country to allow broadcasting lies: none other than Jean "giggles" Chretien. Good points.
Incorrect sir, its because there's a law in this country that doesn't allow lying on the news. Mr. Harper was trying to get it repealed to allow it so they can broadcast here.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Incorrect sir, its because there's a law in this country that doesn't allow lying on the news. Mr. Harper was trying to get it repealed to allow it so they can broadcast here.
Is there a lefty school somewhere? You all sound the same but seem too bizarre to be pure coincidence.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:

They lost 22 soldiers in a crash last August. Was considered a major blow to a relatively small team but actual team numbers are not discussed.

The movie is already in production. It's called Zero Dark Thirty.

Not sure I buy the book being release as recruitment even though I am sure it is an effective tool.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle30 View Post
I am blown away that Fox would release the soldier’s name. The Pro GOP word out of Fox has been relentless on Obama for even releasing the fact that it was Seal Team 6 that carried out the assault,

Why are you surprised? That FOX and the right would criticize Obama for something than then taqke it even a step further themselves? That's how they operate.

Remember Bush's whitehouse gang outting a female CIA agent because they didn't like a report her husband wrote? Hypocrites who will put lives in danger for political gain.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

Remember Bush's whitehouse gang outting a female CIA agent because they didn't like a report her husband wrote? Hypocrites who will put lives in danger for political gain.
True enough, Valery Plames name was released, but she wasnt a field agent. Obama was hungry enough for some good headlines that he released a lot of info to selected news agencies. Enough info the Pakistanis were able to arrest the doctor that helped identify Bin Laden, released the info that there is an insider in Yemen that is feeding info to the U.S.

Obama gave some Hollywood film producers unprecedented access to the White House, to the Pentagon, and to the military. These people are making a movie on the death of Bin Laden and it is going to be released- surprise surprise - right before their November election.

Obama said he was going to change the way Washington works, and he brought Chicago style politics to the federal level.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
True enough, Valery Plames name was released, but she wasnt a field agent. Obama was hungry enough for some good headlines that he released a lot of info to selected news agencies. Enough info the Pakistanis were able to arrest the doctor that helped identify Bin Laden, released the info that there is an insider in Yemen that is feeding info to the U.S.

Obama gave some Hollywood film producers unprecedented access to the White House, to the Pentagon, and to the military. These people are making a movie on the death of Bin Laden and it is going to be released- surprise surprise - right before their November election.

Obama said he was going to change the way Washington works, and he brought Chicago style politics to the federal level.
The release of the movie has actually been delayed to avoid the election, but you are right, the initial date was pre-election.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Why are you surprised? That FOX and the right would criticize Obama for something than then taqke it even a step further themselves? That's how they operate.

Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised but I was, especially considering the timing. It's shaping up to be tight battle I would have thought the GOP news machine would run a tight ship until November.

On a side note, this Seal must have been some kinda soldier. He is said to be one of the 3 snipers involved in the Maersh rescue and it sounds like he was one of the first soldiers through the door of the BL assult team. Yes, I know Team 6 memebrs are the elite of the elite and are very well rounded soldiers, but I think they have defined specialties within the team. To be selected for each of these tasks speaks very highly of this soldier.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 AM

Yeah, Fox is lame, but our CBC is no better. It ran no less than 6 stories about Layton's death anniversary. A public corporation should at least try to appear politically neutral.

The CBC is about the Left, not about Canada. It should be reformed or privatized. Let the NDP pay for their propaganda. Not my tax dollars.

As for this seal, if he wanted to be an author, he gives up anonimity. I'd be more concerned if his book gives away tactical information that could compromise future missions.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Is there a lefty school somewhere? You all sound the same but seem too bizarre to be pure coincidence.
Not a lefty at all, I've voted conservative in every election since the fall of 95, the problem is I'm a conservtive that doesn't blindly follow the right wing path and can think for my self.

Rocky try googling " why isn't fox news in Canada" read the first story that comes up. It's right there in black and white.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:50 PM

I watch fox all the time it's on shaw direct. Not that I particularly like it, but they have lots of hot chicks and present the news differently. I like to see several points of view before I decide what my opinion is
Old 08-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
...and even his collaborated novels are kinda good.
Quite a guy and quite a life...turns 72 in a couple of months.
Yup love his books. First two were by far the best imo.