Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2014, 11:26 AM

Default My Queen Charlottes August Fishing Adventure comes to an exciting end.

Fishing was great. Tons of coho. My best was only 15 lbs. Still others went to 19.5 lbs. My best salmon was only 23 lbs but it won me a bet. Biggest out there this trip was 38.5. Not a lot of biggies but the 15 lbers were great fighters. We were self guided and ended up catching all our limit and for fun even a 12 foot long surprise thresher shark! Well...actually only had it on for about 8 minutes before it broke the 25 lb test. I saw it jump clean out of the water. Bottom fishing was great. Can't complain. Weather was spectacular. Seas were smooth as silk!

We did have this surprise catch!

https://twitter.com/IWanttoFish/stat...29826085089280
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-31-2014, 12:17 PM

This is the direct youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clfQ...ature=youtu.be
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-31-2014, 02:41 PM

Sundance; not call BS on the Thrasher but I would have thought a Salmon or Blue shark. Have you checked ID??
Old 08-31-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Sundance; not call BS on the Thrasher but I would have thought a Salmon or Blue shark. Have you checked ID??
We saw no blue sharks. While bottom fishing for Hali and lingcod we saw a salmon shark go by. We dropped a baited shark rod down after for an hour with no bites.

Next day we were fishing off the bluffs in 58 ft of water. We caught a dozen coho/chinooks and lots of rockfish. Tons of bait around. Then a bite and I set the hook. Fish came straight up to the surface and jumped right in front of me. I saw the body and a long thresher tail the same length as the body. Came clear out. Beautiful jump for an amazing shark. My degree all in fishing moment.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:53 PM
AO Sponsor

If that was a Thresher shark, that's unreal. They are good eating apparently (Wicked Tuna says so)
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
If that was a Thresher shark, that's unreal. They are good eating apparently (Wicked Tuna says so)
I heard that. I asked the lodge manager and he knew of at least 3 others getting hooked. One was brought in but it took 2 hours. The line was cut clean so likely had it in it's mouth and bit through. I only had it one for about 8 minutes... We had to drive up on the line as I was getting spooled fast. Pretty cool just to feel the pull of that big shark.

I hooked a fish of some kind a few years back not far from this spot. I played it for 50 solid minutes with full rod pressure while we chased it for miles. In the end the knot came undone. Never saw that fish.

Even though the pull was shorter...seeing it jump made my trip.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:11 PM
Banned

To bad the only sharks you can keep in BC are the salmon sharks.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Yaker View Post
To bad the only sharks you can keep in BC are the salmon sharks.
How about dogfish?

It is not about keeping. It was about the thrill of seeing it. Catching and releasing someday would be awesome.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
How about dogfish?

It is not about keeping. It was about the thrill of seeing it. Catching and releasing someday would be awesome.
If you consider it a shark than yes dogfish as well. I only said it because someone was commenting on the great taste of threshers.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Yaker View Post
If you consider it a shark than yes dogfish as well. I only said it because someone was commenting on the great taste of threshers.
Yup. You are correct. I would not want to have killed this shark regardless. Too cool a catch.

Shark, Including
Basking, Tope,
Bluntnose
Sixgill, Blue,
Brown Cat &
Great White
1 to 29
0 Closed
N/A
There is no fishing for these species of shark.
Salmon Shark 1 to 29
1 Apr 01-Mar31
Hook and line and spear fishing while diving.
Spiny Dogfish
1 to 29
4 Apr 01-Mar 31 Hook and line
All other shark
species
1 to 29
0 Closed
N/A
Other shark species incidentally encountered must be release
Old 09-01-2014, 02:43 PM

Sounds like a cool trip!! Big Ling!!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 PM

Good on you for releasing that beautiful ling !!!! It's great to hear that their are still a few fish left around this time of year as I'm headed up to Masset on Thursday to do a little blacktail hunting. Hopefully the weather cooperates so we can put the boat in the water for a day or two.
Thanks for the post.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Good on you for releasing that beautiful ling !!!! It's great to hear that their are still a few fish left around this time of year as I'm headed up to Masset on Thursday to do a little blacktail hunting. Hopefully the weather cooperates so we can put the boat in the water for a day or two.
Thanks for the post.
Saw lots of them little deer around. Got to hug one once at QCL. Heard they are great eating after feeding on kelp.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:37 PM

"Heard they are great eating after feeding on kelp"
They are the best tasting deer you've ever tried. I'm not sure why but they are great. We pick tons of chanterelles and in Sept/Oct and a large amount of the mushroom patches are picked over quite heavily by the deer. They do have a varied diet on QCI.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
"Heard they are great eating after feeding on kelp"
They are the best tasting deer you've ever tried. I'm not sure why but they are great. We pick tons of chanterelles and in Sept/Oct and a large amount of the mushroom patches are picked over quite heavily by the deer. They do have a varied diet on QCI.
You are a lucky guy. Hope you have an awesome time.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Fishing was great. Tons of coho. My best was only 15 lbs. Still others went to 19.5 lbs. My best salmon was only 23 lbs but it won me a bet. Biggest out there this trip was 38.5. Not a lot of biggies but the 15 lbers were great fighters. We were self guided and ended up catching all our limit and for fun even a 12 foot long surprise thresher shark! Well...actually only had it on for about 8 minutes before it broke the 25 lb test. I saw it jump clean out of the water. Bottom fishing was great. Can't complain. Weather was spectacular. Seas were smooth as silk!

We did have this surprise catch!

https://twitter.com/IWanttoFish/stat...29826085089280

lot a good eatin ther man.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
lot a good eatin ther man.
I have seen large wormy lings. She was better off spawning again.