Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2014, 04:02 PM

Default First salmon.

Got my first taste of salmon fishing this morning. Lake Ontario. Man do these things pull. Had a couple pull off 350 feet like nothing. Pretty addictive.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Banned

Looks like you had a great day. Yeah they really scream when they hit especially on copper or wire... late for that one to still be silver. .. good job man. Fishing out of Whitby?
Old 08-28-2014, 04:18 PM

Launched at Scarborough. Ya they scream on that copper big time. Lost one that felt way better than anything I landed, probably they hardest fight of anything I have ever hooked. Put 23 in the boat fishing just for the morning. Good times.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:42 PM

Default Nice

did you hire a guide? More action than some guys going to bc on the ocean might have to give it a try.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:01 PM

Ya. We hired a guide. Well worth it, my arms were dead by the end if the morning.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:34 PM

That lake Ontario is one amazing fish factory. You can expect to easily have way bigger #s in the great lakes, just don't grow as big as the west coast and the stigma of being a stocked put and take fishery.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:56 PM

Ya it's put and take. But man is it fun.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 AM

I agree! Hands down a world class fishery
Old 09-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterPin View Post
That lake Ontario is one amazing fish factory. You can expect to easily have way bigger #s in the great lakes, just don't grow as big as the west coast and the stigma of being a stocked put and take fishery.
It's not solely put and take. ... yes the Americans stock a whole crap load... the Canadians stock as well but less. .. they have been stocking Atlantic salmon for awhile but no one can catch them. The coho have done really well though. .. Don't be fooled there are a whole whack of fish that spawn and reproduce naturally... just go into Bronte creek or Ganaraskis river in September if you want to see 1000's of fish.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
It's not solely put and take. ... yes the Americans stock a whole crap load... the Canadians stock as well but less. .. they have been stocking Atlantic salmon for awhile but no one can catch them. The coho have done really well though. .. Don't be fooled there are a whole whack of fish that spawn and reproduce naturally... just go into Bronte creek or Ganaraskis river in September if you want to see 1000's of fish.
Have been to Bronte where you could walk across the creek on the backs of the fish there were so many........ Use to also tube the creek in high water in my younger days...lol

Mack
Old 09-01-2014, 11:22 AM

The Ganny would be one of the very few tribs to lake Ontario that actually have very limited successful spawning. Credit is another but without the American stocking program fishing would be very different. Lake huron has a lot of natural spawning in its tribs.