Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 PM
AO Sponsor

Default 250 LB HALIBUT Caught and Released, PIC Heavy

Hey guys,

So what a great day yesterday was. Amazing halibut fishing (limited out), then head out and tag out on lingcod and yelloweye...then head salmon fishing and limit out there to finish off the day...between our three boats had over 1000lbs of fish, not entirely uncommon during the season either.

The real story of the day was the halibut though as we managed to tag into a 77 1/4" long, approx. 250lb halibut. We had just tagged out on halibut in the 25-69lb range and had released a 120lb and 82lb on top of that already when the big girl of the day hit like a freight train and started to peel, I set the hook and immediately said, she's a big girl on this one (we had actually lost two that I believe could have been over 150 as well). The halibut swam around all the lines and actually made a huge mess, but it also allowed us to reel her in using all of the rods

So instead of being against one drag, she was against quite a few so it only took about 10min to reel in!!! Beside the boat I looked down and said, wow, this girl is big. We noosed her tail, she did not like that and went bizerk beside the boat as we hung on for dear life, then carefully gaffed her through her lip and me and one other tried to pull her in now that she was tired for pictures...but we couldnt even get her CLOSE to out of the water...that's when I knew she was over 200lbs as the 120lber earlier was easily lifted into the boat with two guys. So it took FOUR GUYS to lift her in, quickly measured the length, snapped a few pics, and back into the water she went, as soon as the noose was off her tail she kicked like mad back down to bottom. What a beautiful fish...just sheer power and size on it is incredible.

We have already caught 9 halibut over 100lbs this season, so if that is something you want to do on your bucket list, you know where to go! Plus every day have limited out on Chinook....EVERY DAY! Longest it has taken has been 4 hours of fishing...doesn't get much better. Will post the Chinook pics in the salmon thread possibly tomorrow...here are the hali ones!!!

Give us a call or PM about 2015 dates, sold quite a few weeks already just from guests before they leave...

250lbs!!!

ONE BOAT, ONE DAY

Nice keeper

Another

One boat, one day

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 07-02-2014, 07:59 PM

Absolutely awesome looks like a great time, I miss living in BC for that reason.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:24 PM

Great fish happening with your guide service!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:57 PM

incredible haul jamie
Old 07-02-2014, 09:27 PM

The 15th can't come soon enough!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:07 PM

Man i wanna get my butt back to the coast next year.. Great job and unreal haul. Congrats
Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
incredible haul jamie
Bahaha. Wrong thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
Bahaha. Wrong thread
How on earth did you get a 250 lb Hali in the boat then released? I have had my battles doing that with 50-150 lbers. Crazy Yoda says you are. But the Hali force is with you.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 PM
AO Sponsor

Caught over 35 Hali over 100 in past season and a half and never had ONE freak out. Key is to tire em out outside the boat. The noose on tail usually does it as they hate that and lose it and expel all their energy. But ya. Literally not one has even flopped more than 2 seconds and all kick back down so all are healthy and survive

Old 07-02-2014, 11:33 PM

I can't wait to get out there and spend some time on the water with you guys!!! What an unbelievable catch!! You guys are top shelf.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Bahaha. Wrong thread
more like wrong name lol my bad
Old 07-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Banned

Looks like a great way to spend the day, sure do miss ocean fishing. Can't say i've ever caught halibut on a rod, always hand line. Nothing like fresh halibut.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:45 AM

Wow David nice fish buddy!!
You are the only guide I'm sure that will go through the effort and securing a fish that size just for your clients to get a picture.

I can't recall but does your pursuit have a stern door? Otherwise how the heck you get that back in the water!?!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Default !!!!

awesome!!!!
can't wait....wish i was going today.....
Old 07-03-2014, 10:00 AM

Ohhh thats so sweet .. im headed out with alpine archer at the end of the month .. cant wait to get out there .. see u guys in a month..!!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:26 AM

I have a 65 bday trip with the Father In-law in less than a month. Can't wait to get out there as well.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 PM

This gets me super excited for my salmon and halibut trip on Vancouver Island in 3 weeks.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:50 PM

These guys are top notch, went fishing with them last week and limited out each day. biggest halibut was 69lbs but lots of fish to be caught. great charter company and great guides. the lodge is spectacular as well.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:01 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
awesome!!!!
can't wait....wish i was going today.....
Almost exactly a year Gerald. Can't wait!!!

Old 07-20-2014, 06:16 PM

Default size limits for h-butts

I guess there is a difference in size limit from place to place on the BC coast
In Rupert the limit on H-butts to keep is 133 cm which is very close to 70 lbs...
Its dam tough to boat them without injuring them to measure them laying flat when their close to 133.
Must be different there?????sst
Old 07-20-2014, 06:30 PM
AO Sponsor

If you read it was caught and released.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:44 PM

Yes I read that part, just misunderstood the "caught 9 over 100 lbs this season" is all.
And I thought different areas must be different..

sst
Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 PM
AO Sponsor

One can catch and release those as well. Logic is tough

Old 07-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Wtg guys. One of these years we will come up there lol. Couldnt believe the fight those big Hali's put up
Old 08-31-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Caught over 35 Hali over 100 in past season and a half and never had ONE freak out. Key is to tire em out outside the boat. The noose on tail usually does it as they hate that and lose it and expel all their energy. But ya. Literally not one has even flopped more than 2 seconds and all kick back down so all are healthy and survive

you must be some fish whisperer because in the 20 years of halibut fishing , 99 out of 100 go nuts when they hit the deck of the boat.. no matter how long we play them. even in the box half hour later were standing on it to keep them down..wouldnt dream of hauling a 150lb like that in the boat before she was dead.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
you must be some fish whisperer because in the 20 years of halibut fishing , 99 out of 100 go nuts when they hit the deck of the boat.. no matter how long we play them. even in the box half hour later were standing on it to keep them down..wouldnt dream of hauling a 150lb like that in the boat before she was dead.
Maybe the secret is to "carefully gaff" the Halibut.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:30 PM
AO Sponsor

If you actually know what you're doing it's pretty easy. Pretty sure most of our AO groups caught one over siZe limit and saw for themselves. Come out and you'll see. Of the 40+ caught over size limit this year on my boat alone only one went crazy and that's because one guest took off the tail rope (bad idea) when I said not to. It was 80lbs or so but quickly jumped on its back and had her under control

Old 08-31-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
If you actually know what you're doing it's pretty easy. Pretty sure most of our AO groups caught one over siZe limit and saw for themselves. Come out and you'll see. Of the 40+ caught over size limit this year on my boat alone only one went crazy and that's because one guest took off the tail rope (bad idea) when I said not to. It was 80lbs or so but quickly jumped on its back and had her under control
You must be a superman as I've fished WCVI for 25 years and like your style of advertising lol but unfortunately I doubt that a qualified guide would risk the safety of himself and crew to land a fish in which you are obligated to release unharmed. Dragging a large halibut over the gunwale this way poses both a risk to the fish and any anglers present. Maybe post this on SportfishingBC Forum and see what the general consensus is regarding ethical standards for licensed guides instead of posting this on the Alberta Outdoorsmen forum. Yes I do guide on Vancouver Island and have caught my share of Halibut. Good luck with promoting this to anybody that is not from Alberta!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 03:49 PM
AO Sponsor

Like I said if you actually know what you're doing there is no risk whatsoever. I have plenty of fishermen from bc on my fb and they haven't said anything about it. Halibut get all their power from their tail. Have their tail controlled and literally zero risk. It is also by far the safest way to get the hook out and ensure the halibut doesn't have to deal with a circle hook in their mouth for ages. I know of guys trying to get hooks out on side of boat who broke arms. To say risking guests and my safety is a sad attempt at smearing. Jealousy is common among keyboard heros on all Internet forums. Who do you guide for?

Last edited by Serengeti Charters; 08-31-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Like I said if you actually know what you're doing there is no risk whatsoever. I have plenty of fishermen from bc on my fb and they haven't said anything about it. Halibut get all their power from their tail. Have their tail controlled and literally zero risk. It is also by far the safest way to get the hook out and ensure the halibut doesn't have to deal with a circle hook in their mouth for ages. I know of guys trying to get hooks out on side of boat who broke arms. To say risking guests and my safety is a sad attempt at smearing. Jealousy is common among keyboard heros on all Internet forums. Who do you guide for?
No attempt at smearing here, you obviously know how to catch fish and big ones to boot. No jealousy here at all just calling a spade a spade. Again advertise those picks on Sportfishing BC forum and see what the general population says. I've also had some pictures that caused a bit of a stir (LOL) and realize that yes there are some who dissect photos to a grain assault and then who knows maybe your next group has a undercover DFO on board to see what happens when a large one is caught.

Anyways good on you if you can handle halibut this way and feel comfortable doing so. As for shear numbers and size I don't know many boats that can consistently claim to catch them like you so obviously your doing something right!!!

Tight lines!!