Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2014, 08:57 AM

Default Chester Lake Kananaskis

Hey guys,

Thinking about taking the girlfriend for a hike on Saturday and I want to fish somewhere. We were thinking Chester lake so she can enjoy whatever women enjoy and I can fish, but we've never been there. I've read sight fishing is possible when its calm, which I absolutely love doing. How would a guy do up there with spinning gear? (not much of a fly fisher). Anyone been up there this year?. Also, how busy is the trail usually?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:14 AM

1. I recommend fly fishing. It is tough to catch fish on spinning gear in there. I went up there for the very first time in 2009 with spinning gear and caught a dolly varden on a small spoon. The fish arent huge so pack small spinners. Also, consider using fly fishing nymphs below a float and you will probably have better luck.

2. The hike will be busy. I was there on July 1st when it opened up for fishing and there was still snow on the trail and ice on the lake and it was a zoo. Lots of people. Most were just hikers and picnicers but expect a lot of people.

3. The creek can hold a lot of fish as well so try there. I mostly fish on the far side of the lake from the trail along the scree slope. It has pretty good depth on that side.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
1. I recommend fly fishing. It is tough to catch fish on spinning gear in there. I went up there for the very first time in 2009 with spinning gear and caught a dolly varden on a small spoon. The fish arent huge so pack small spinners. Also, consider using fly fishing nymphs below a float and you will probably have better luck.

2. The hike will be busy. I was there on July 1st when it opened up for fishing and there was still snow on the trail and ice on the lake and it was a zoo. Lots of people. Most were just hikers and picnicers but expect a lot of people.

3. The creek can hold a lot of fish as well so try there. I mostly fish on the far side of the lake from the trail along the scree slope. It has pretty good depth on that side.
Awesome, thank you!. I may try a nymph on some spinning gear with an indicator, I really don't feel like pulling out the fly rod this year. Appreciate the help!.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:12 PM

Try get a pic of one of those nothern dolly vardens. I would love to see it.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Fly fishing is good for cutties, there have been grizzly around lately closing the trail a few weeks ago, as with most hikes out in k-country have a backup due to bears
Old 08-30-2014, 08:43 AM

In my experience I did well on spinning gear, with small spinners and Len Thompsons. The trail can be quite busy, expecially on weekends and during peak season. If you can make it out mid-week rather than a Saturday your solitude is more likely, but given that August is drawing to a close, it shouldn't be too bad either way. Have fun and post pics.

Two Feet and a Heartbeat,

Steven
Old 09-01-2014, 09:44 AM

When you find out what it is that women enjoy, could you let the rest of us know? 15 years of personal research has landed me zero results.