Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2014, 12:43 PM

Default Shore Fishing Spots

New to the forum, been lurking for most of the summer but I need some advice/help.

The wife and I have, this summer, really gotten into fishing (she LOVES it). When I was a kid I used to fish with my dad all over the Kananaskis except it was 1980's and I was 8-11 yrs old, so the only place I really remember is Sibbald. We've spent a lot of time at Sibbald Meadows Pond this year, which was not stocked...pretty bad results this year so far.

I've spent a lot of time reading different forums (this one included) alberta fishing guide.com and a few others, trying to get some ideas of where we can go...and coming up kinda empty.

I would like to know if anyone can recommend spots:
About an hour from Calgary, my wife works every other weekend so we like to go after she gets home around 3:30 or 4, and day trips other weekends.

We don't have a boat, so shore fishing it is and we both use spin rods. Bottom fishing with a 3-way swivel and bobber fishing are the styles I am familiar with, i do have lures and rappala's tho.

We have tried Chain Lakes, caught only suckers. Lorette Ponds ....awful. Sibbald Meadows Pond (3 fish all summer), Dickson Trout Pond? (Glennifer Lake) again suckers, we didn't catch a damn thing though, people next to us did.

TL;DR version:
Shore fishing spots for spin reel/rods for relative fishing noobs about 1-1.5 hours drive from Calgary.
Tried
Chain Lakes (maybe just a bad spot)
Lorette Ponds
Dickson Trout Pond
Sibbald Meadows Pond

I realize it's pretty late in the season but, I figure there's gotta be a couple spots left out there where you can catch something.

Any advice, greatly appreciated!
Old 08-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

There aren't a lot of bait fishing opportunities close to Calgary.

Why not go down to the Bow and throw some lures?

Endless opportunities and quality fish at your doorstep.

If you really want to bait fish you'll have to put on some miles.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:01 PM

We thought about that, then we look at each other and go where on the bow? The flood changed it a lot so not sure where on the bow to try.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:36 PM

well, we're gonna try rapala's and lures down at policeman's flats for a bit, and if thats a bust, head to a different spot at chain lakes.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:56 PM

if you travel a little longer then you can reach McGregor lake and fish off the dam for pike

go south on #2 to Hwy 23 turn east and keep going past the Hwy #24 intersection until you reach the campground.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:01 PM

Sibbald wasn't stocked? Did you catch the small rainbow stockers there? You could try PCR
Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 PM
Banned

glenmore res, chain lakes, pcr, fish creek park

Tags
calgary area, shorefishing, spots, trout