Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2020, 08:03 AM

Default Transducer rooster tail

I have a 2015 Lund 1775 Crossover with a 150 Mercury Outboard. The fish finder is a Humminbird 788CI HD. I never ever experienced a rooster tail with my boat until this year. Been out 5 times. First 2 outings this year no rooster tail at high speed, 3rd outing rooster tail showed up. Rooster tail is on the side where the transducer is mounted and shoots up alongside the Merc Outboard. Checked the bracket for the transducer and found a small crack in the plastic gears that change the angle so replaced with a new bracket. Still rooster tail at high speed. Have heard others talking on a few of the forums that this is a common problem. One remedy was to wrap electrical tape around the opening beween the bracket and the actual transducer to avoid water getting in there.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem? What I don't understand this is year 5 for me owning the boat (since new) and this rooster tail problem just showed up this year.
Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:25 AM

I had the exact same thing happen to me. There’s a rubber plug that fits between the ducer and bracket .You must of lost yours. They pop out some times. Don’t use tape. Call Humminbird. They will send you a new one at no cost. What I did was put a zippy strap around the plug so it’ll never pop out again.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:50 AM

i just put black electrician tape where the little plug is supposed to go and it fixed my problem with the rooster tail.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the info. I did call Humminbird and they say there is a block that goes in between the transducer and mount bracket. I never ever had that from when the boat was delivered that I can remember. They said you have to buy the whole mounting kit to get that rubber block. They did not offer to send it to me and the kits are on back order. When You go to Amazon and look at the mounting kits they do not show any kind of rubber plug/block. I guess I will try the electrical tape and see if it goes away.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:23 AM

Hey there, im with you. i have a lowrance and it never came with a block either. And i have a big rooster tail too.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:12 AM

I am probably headed out Thursday. I will let you know how the tape job works LOL.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:45 AM

Google Mikes Reel Repair and under the Humminbird Transducer part you can find some plugs for various transducers. You can see if there is one that will fit. The store is out of BC so canadian dollars/canadian shipping.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:58 PM

Thats awesome Honker I will check it out.
Thanks.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:30 PM

I had the same bird and it never came with a plug. Hummingbird sent one free and it worked fine. This was back in the day when customer service was a thing.

Dodger.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:39 AM

I was out yesterday. Tried the electrical tape and it really helped get rid of the rooster tail. Just a very small one now at top speed. Next time will try a little more tape where the bracket attaches.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:29 PM

Same issue. Didn’t know it was fixable until I came across this thread. Found the insert in a bag with my Helix manuals. Now to see if it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2020, 09:07 PM

Lost my plug, got the rooster tail, taped it and the rooster tail is gone.

Common issue, easy fix.