Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 09:22 AM

Default New to Medicine Hat: hunting opportunities

Hey guys,

I just moved to the Hat from Edmonton for a new job! Beautiful city, and loving the change so far. Just need to get my family moved down here soon.

I'm really excited about the potential hunting opportunities in the area, already seen lots of muleys and antelope. Its some awesome, gorgeous deer country around here. In the future I may put in for the Suffield or Cypress elk hunts.

Just wanted to put the feelers out there if anyone can point me in the right direction for the area. I am planning on checking out WMU 148 for mule and whitetail this fall. I have a land ownership map, and all the lease land info. Gonna be making some calls soon. If anyone has advice for me on the area, or knows of landowners that are open to ethical, respectful hunters on their land, let me know. I'm mostly a meat hunter, and use the venison to feed my family. I'm happy to follow any requests/requirements that a landowner may have.

Any help is appreciated all!
Old 07-28-2020, 09:39 AM

Well, they are trying hard to wipe out the mule deer herd because of chronic wasting, so lots of opportunities for mule bucks and does. Irvine Walsh areas have white tails. Find your own landowners. Lots of pressure in the area.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-28-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Well, they are trying hard to wipe out the mule deer herd because of chronic wasting, so lots of opportunities for mule bucks and does. Irvine Walsh areas have white tails.Find your own landowners. Lots of pressure in the area.
Haha, oh I plan to! Just always a bit daunting when you move to a new area.

Not necessarily looking for landowners to reply and invite me (would be nice, lol), just general advice is appreciated.

Thanks piker!
Old 07-28-2020, 11:01 AM

Join the Medicine Hat Fish & Game. You will learn alot fast and meet a number of great sportsman. Likely meetings are currently suspended due to COVID-19.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJPFISH View Post
Join the Medicine Hat Fish & Game. You will learn alot fast and meet a number of great sportsman. Likely meetings are currently suspended due to COVID-19.
Will do. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2020, 02:01 PM

there are quite a few ACA properties in that area as well as DU. find the Discover Guide online from ACA or call for a copy or 2 to be sent to you.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:23 PM

Do lots of research first ...then buy the appropriate gun dog that will meet your expectations..lots of waiting time for big game draw tags down there...take adventage of the upland and/or waterfowl hunting that interests you.