Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 PM

Just completed the course, locked in limbo as it won't forward me to the final exam. Also the First aid portion of the course is out of date and needs to be brought up to current first aid procedures. Another point of note, if you want to bow hunt or use muzzle loaders, they should be seperate from the rest of the course. I want to drive a car, why do I need to take class 1 airbrakes and learn how to drive a school bus? JMO tho.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 PM

Hi there
Can i ask where you picked up a manual for $15. I am new to hunting this year...is this manual for the hunting license?
Thanks for any info.
Lainey
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 AM

Default Interesting points

Was reading this as I need to take this course. I was hunting last year based off the fact that if I wanted to go out with family when I was kid, I needed the hunter safety course in NB. That was good enough for my WIN card. Took it way back then, had forgotten most of it so I was looking for something online as a refresher. This is perfect for me.

Anyone who feels the need to cheat on this, to those of you worried about this, are going to "fudge" the rules anyway. A course can't teach proper ethics and if you're inclined to do so, well, even an instructor can't help or stop you from hunting where and when you're not supposed to.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 PM

Post Hunter from Ontario, now an Alberta resident: does my Ont hunter safety course carry over provincially?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
Well, it's finally here. If you can't find a convenient hunter education course near you, you can now take the course and exam online.

For more information, go to the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors Association web site and click on the Education button in the lower right corner.
Hello all, My name is Dan and I just recently moved to Edmonton from Ontario. I have been hunting in Ontario for many years and have the Ontario Hunter Safety Education course under my belt, and I have many friends here who keep telling me that my Ontario course transfers over to Alberta, which exempts me from having to take the Alberta course.... is this true? I went to Cabelas over a month ago to register my WIN ID and purchase a sportsfishing licence, and upon filling out the papers, it asked whether I had a hunting course from another province, and so I checked "yes" before handing the papers back into the cashier. Does this mean I can buy a whitetail hunting licence this fall, or is there still something I have to do before I can get my tags/licences?

Any advice would help an aweful lot, thanks

Dan Crook
Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanDanCrook View Post
Hello all, My name is Dan and I just recently moved to Edmonton from Ontario. I have been hunting in Ontario for many years and have the Ontario Hunter Safety Education course under my belt, and I have many friends here who keep telling me that my Ontario course transfers over to Alberta, which exempts me from having to take the Alberta course.... is this true? I went to Cabelas over a month ago to register my WIN ID and purchase a sportsfishing licence, and upon filling out the papers, it asked whether I had a hunting course from another province, and so I checked "yes" before handing the papers back into the cashier. Does this mean I can buy a whitetail hunting licence this fall, or is there still something I have to do before I can get my tags/licences?

Any advice would help an aweful lot, thanks

Dan Crook
If you checked the "yes" box, thats it! You can buy tags like the rest of us, no muss, no fuss. Don't forget to enter your draws! June 1 -june 25 at www.albertarelm.com
Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 PM

it would be helpful.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:38 PM

Unhappy Am I too late to hunt big game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post
If you checked the "yes" box, thats it! You can buy tags like the rest of us, no muss, no fuss. Don't forget to enter your draws! June 1 -june 25 at www.albertarelm.com

I just got back on to this website (it is now June 30th) only to read/find out that I was supposed to apply to the draws before June 25th (which I did not manage to do). Am I completely too late to hunt whitetail for 2012, or are there general licences I can still buy to hunt this fall? In Ontario, we have specific draws for certain areas for antlerless deer and other kinds of big game that DO HAVE a deadline to apply, but we also have deer and bear licences that I can buy over the counter before and during season that are not specific and that DON'T HAVE any deadlines or lotteries. Are there any systems like this in Alberta, or am I completely **** out of luck for big game hunting this year? Please let me know if I still have any options,

thanks,

- Dan
Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanDanCrook View Post
I just got back on to this website (it is now June 30th) only to read/find out that I was supposed to apply to the draws before June 25th (which I did not manage to do). Am I completely too late to hunt whitetail for 2012, or are there general licences I can still buy to hunt this fall? In Ontario, we have specific draws for certain areas for antlerless deer and other kinds of big game that DO HAVE a deadline to apply, but we also have deer and bear licences that I can buy over the counter before and during season that are not specific and that DON'T HAVE any deadlines or lotteries. Are there any systems like this in Alberta, or am I completely **** out of luck for big game hunting this year? Please let me know if I still have any options,

thanks,

- Dan
There are a ton of general tags you can get without entering draws, there general whitetail (buck in most zones) supplemental antlerless whitetail (good for two does in applicable zones) general elk, black bear and more..

Go to http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...encecosts.html

and scroll down to the the cost/ combination chart to see the liscences available.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:59 PM

thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 AM

I was wondering if I take my hunter education course here in Alberta, am I eligible to buy tags in Ontario?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 AM

Default Thanks :D

Thanks a bunch for posting this! My friend keeps bugging me to get in the course so we can go hunting this coming winter. Now I guess I have no excuse lol.

I've loved fishing for years and I can't wait to expand my horizons.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
I took the online course as it was recommended by my PAL instructor. Unlike some of the scholars that precede me on this thread, I only got 93%. I did the whole thing on a Sunday, probably six or seven hours of material there.

Be Careful when completing the knowledge check after the fifth module, if you accidentally press 'next' before completing the check you will be advanced to a review exam. You will, however, not be able to start module six until the knowledge check is complete. It probably took me an hour to figure where I'd gone wrong.

It would be nice if the 'next' icon was linked to a key on the key board as some of the chapters are only 20 seconds long.

Great course though, I know that I will be a better hunter because of it.
You saved my butt sir, thank you for having posted this!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM

Default Online Hunting Education Course

I live and hunt in BC. I am planning to go to Alberta and do some hunting.I was wondering if I need to take this course.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsk View Post
I live and hunt in BC. I am planning to go to Alberta and do some hunting.I was wondering if I need to take this course.

Thanks
No, just produce your BC hunting license or hunter number.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 PM

Thanks VanIsleGuy
Old 02-24-2013, 11:41 PM

Default Online Hunter Education Certification

Brock Minton out of corpus is a bow hunter education instructor I have not made an I structure class or I would do it for you. Its not required I. Texas but is in some other states. like mentioned above it is required for the youth hunts, is his hunt through Texas Youth Hunting Program? I will also try and see what other I structure are certified to teach this course.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 PM

Default Good course for the newbie

Just finished the AHEIA online Hunter education course (passed with flying colours I may add). Have to say that I thought the course was great for someone new to hunting and does a good job exploring most aspects.

I found a couple things lacking such as a few more specifics on field techniques for big game but other than that, was a good experience overall.

Cheers to all
Old 03-16-2013, 12:26 PM

Thanks for this- great info.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 PM

Exclamation

Purchased the full course and manual for my son last night but when he logs in all we get is the demo course, watched the video then thats it, we can't get into the modules. Anyone know what we are doing wrong or is the site messed up? Getting pi**ed here, he really wants to get going on it.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
Purchased the full course and manual for my son last night but when he logs in all we get is the demo course, watched the video then thats it, we can't get into the modules. Anyone know what we are doing wrong or is the site messed up? Getting pi**ed here, he really wants to get going on it.
Give AHEIA a call. I had the same issues -- you don't happen to be using a Mac, are you? That was my problem. Once I stopped using Safari, the issues stopped. Try Chrome.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:13 AM

How much time it takes for the certification?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM

My wife took the course online as she didn't have time to register for a course on a weekend. She liked the how she could go at her own pace. She passed with no problems. Glad to see that there are options out there that can help people get out and hunt
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 AM

thanks for this nice post with this great information.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:37 AM

I tried to email the aheia about a question and I havent received a response, so I am hoping someone here can answer that has gotten the course for their kid.

My daughter is 12, and I want to get the online course (we are never at home on weekends as we are always out camping or some other place). She has been hunting with me for a few years.

Does she have to register on the aheia site and get a login and then purchase the online course? Or can I login under my userid and purchase the course but have her complete the course and have everything assigned to her as opposed to me?

Kos
Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosinTrouble View Post
I tried to email the aheia about a question and I havent received a response, so I am hoping someone here can answer that has gotten the course for their kid.

My daughter is 12, and I want to get the online course (we are never at home on weekends as we are always out camping or some other place). She has been hunting with me for a few years.

Does she have to register on the aheia site and get a login and then purchase the online course? Or can I login under my userid and purchase the course but have her complete the course and have everything assigned to her as opposed to me?

Kos
She will have to get her own log in ID because that is the name that the certificate will come in. You can use your creditcard info to pay but she has to have her own log in. ( found this out the hard way as I did the same thing you were thinking of when I signed up my son)
Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 PM

Default Good Deal, Best Online Hunter's Ed. I've seen.

I completed the AHEIA online course and found it to be quite enjoyable. It was a tiny bit buggy here or there on my go through, nothing major though. It's none too shabby in the least!
I emailed in with some questions before taking it and recieved a succinct and timely response to all my questions. I was even able to pay via email money transfer which was very conveniant, I highly recommend it to anyone who requires such a course.

I wish they had something like this in BC while I was still living in that province. Their course (C.O.R.E.) was very expensive and required two days in classroom attendance, which I feel may well be a great idea for someone who is entirely new to all hunting activities or may find themselves mentorless for a spell. Yet for those of us with field experience the online course offered by AHEIA here in Alberta is a phenonemal idea, I highly recommend it. Great way to get legal in Alberta! So many people I have spoken with simply ticked the box in their WIN application without completing any course and I certainly would not have contemplated going that route. This course also makes a smooth refresher for anyone who just wants to brush up some and have some fun online.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM

Default Great Success

I just passed my Exam with 88% woohoo! I already knew most of that info, but learned some other really near things about Alberta. Now to buy some tags, or licenses as you Albertan's call them, and get out in the field! But where to start?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:41 PM

i took the online test a few years ago when i turned 12 , 15 now and the course online does help alot because where i live there was never a local course going on. I mean there will always be a way for the lazy person to cheat who doesn't want to learn and just get his licence but i took the time to read the book and follow the study guid with the online test and it was very educational and from it now i have soup in the pot now with a nice early season white-tail doe i got last weekened with the bow.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 PM

Took the online course just recently... it was great... lacked in a few areas, but I passed so... ya well worth it.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 PM

Seems strange that Alberta is the only province that requires a hunter safety course on top of the PAL. (That I know of)

Obviously by the sounds of things, this offers more information on the details of hunting which is good. But, it's kind of like saying, if you're not from Alberta, you don't know how to hunt. (As this is NOT required for a second year hunter in Alberta but is required for a 30 year hunting veteran from a mile across the border).

This should be used for new hunters, but this can't be completely regulated, so it should be required for the issuance of a new PAL.

If my facts are wrong I am sure I will hear about it!