Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 AM

Default Which semi? Benelli R1 or Browning Bar

I feel like buying a semi auto rifle. I do have a Sako 85 300 wm for hunting but I still feel like having a semi.

I have been looking into benelli R1 and Browning Bar but can't decite which one. I would like to know the opinions from people who owns these rifles and what they do or don't like about it.

Thanks and regards,
Old 09-04-2008, 08:35 PM

I had an R1. I never had any problems with it...it functioned well, was extremely comfortable to hold, and if I remember correctly from when I was shopping for a semi, it was lighter than the Browning. The only reason I sold it is because I am a recoil pansy, and didn't have fun shooting a box of 300wsm at the range.
I did however find it slightly difficult to take it apart for cleaning. Also, it doesn't come with open sights, but it is drilled and tapped for them, so it has 4 ugly plastic plugs in the holes, and it was another $200 or more just to purchase the sights to get rid of the plugs.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 PM

none, both piece of S***T
Old 09-04-2008, 09:55 PM

Default beneli

The R1 fit me a lot better than a Browning BAR Short-trac I held at a gun shop. I've only shot about 50 rounds of 180's, 165's and 150's through my 300WSM and it functions real well. You're right Coreyh that gun does shoot 150's the best. My 22 rimfire BAR has been flawless for 20 years,too. I don't think you can go wrong on either choice for reliability.