Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Got2fish

Default Anybody insure their fly tying gear?

As an apartment renter I have tenants insurance, no brainer there. I don't own much in the way of home furnishing, but fishing?

I had asked the agent about my fly gear, as I know I have alot of money invested in it. She said if you have the receipts then no problem if I had to put in a claim for what ever reason. Well who keeps receipts ? Like i still have things from back when I started and stuff given; some stuff from the 70's, feathers and such.

Anyways getting back on track. I know you can get a second "claim" for certain items. Example of such would be antiques, jewlery and stuff like that.

I would hate to get broken in to, or lose my fishing related stuff to a fire and the insurance company would say, oh sorry, no receipt.....no dice!

Anybody know much about insurance?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 PM

I don't have specific riders, but I have taken photos of all my rod's serial numbers ( all the rods I own have them or are custom so have my name on them) and individual reels so I would be covered under my house policy (less deductible )... Probably wouldn't do much for an individual rod unless it's one of my Winston's (my rods retail between $450 - $900 and my most expensive reel is about $400ish) but if a quiver of rods get stolen, or lost in a fire it would help...
Old 11-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Got2fish

I will be contacting my insurance provider to see if that will suffice.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:25 AM

As Uberfly said, I take pics of all my gear that is worth any value. I don't worry too much about tying materials and such. Most of that stuff is covered under my contents insurance. But really, when it comes down to it, if someone heaven forbid broke into the house or the house caught on fire, there are other things that are more important not to lose in those situations. Fly gear is replaceable. Just my two cents.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 AM

It's not the rods, reels or lines that will puch an insurance claim through the roof it's the fly boxes. I know my typical fly boxes with have 300 - 500 flys in them... at $2.50 each.... It wouldn't be uncommon for a guy who has been fly fishing for 20 years to have 5000+ flys...... do the math. When ever I dealt with an insurance claim at the fly shop I worked the fly boxes were the money.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2fish View Post
I would hate to get broken in to, or lose my fishing related stuff to a fire and the insurance company would say, oh sorry, no receipt.....no dice!
A friend of mine lost everything to a fire a few years ago. As a result of the experience he's had a couple bits of advice for me.

The insurance company isn't going to insist on receipts for everything you have in your house, it's not realistic. The problem you're going to have though is getting a complete inventory from memory, it's almost impossible. Take some pictures of your stuff and put them in your gmail account or something where you will have access to them later.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
A friend of mine lost everything to a fire a few years ago. As a result of the experience he's had a couple bits of advice for me.

The insurance company isn't going to insist on receipts for everything you have in your house, it's not realistic. The problem you're going to have though is getting a complete inventory from memory, it's almost impossible. Take some pictures of your stuff and put them in your gmail account or something where you will have access to them later.
I know of some people that also make lists/take pictures and put them on CD ROM, flash drives, external hard drives and keep them in either a safe or a safety deposit box at the bank.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Got2fish

Thanks for the replies. I'm a single guy with disposable money that tends to go toward fishing stuff. It's great, i've been single now for a couple years and have acquired alot of fishing stuff. I think my tying kit is what has the most value, over some hardy reels and sage rods.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I will start the long process of taking pictures.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM

So about 2 months ago my truck got broke into and ALL of my fly fishing gear was stolen. I was worried cause I have insurance but with a $500 deductible. Well when I talked with my insurance company they told me that anything not attached to the vehicle would be covered under my tenants insurance, which I had thank goodness. She said that without receipts they would calculate the replacement cost of the goods stolen, subtract the deductible, and front me half of the money. As I purchased new gear I would then submit receipts and they would reimburse me the other half. But here is the best part. I calculated the replacement cost to be $2200. They calculated it to be $2700 and then subtracted $500 for the deductible, and rather than fronting me a portion, they decided to give me the full $2200 because it was a small amount. I must say that it was a great experience and I was so pleased with the company. If you are shopping for insurance I highly recommend Intact insurance. The best thing is that I do not have to replace my gear with what I had but I can pick different stuff if I choose as they just gave me a check. Anyway, your gear should already be covered under your tenants insurance. If not I would look for a new company