Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-26-2008, 11:53 AM

Default who carries havi-steel in calgary

just wondering where i can find havi-steel in calgary, i cant seem to find it anywhere and when i talk to ppl at wholesale, or anywhere else the think im in talking about tungston but its still steel thats havier, the guy at canadian waterfowl pro shop says its better then black cloud, he also stated that black cloud was a gimik and this stuff had a better punch at farther distances
Old 08-26-2008, 12:59 PM

Default Hevi

P&D in Edmonton has some, how many boxes and what shot sizes do you want?
I have to travel to Calgary next week, perhaps I can help you out. FS
Old 08-26-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke View Post
just wondering where i can find havi-steel in calgary, i cant seem to find it anywhere and when i talk to ppl at wholesale, or anywhere else the think im in talking about tungston but its still steel thats havier, the guy at canadian waterfowl pro shop says its better then black cloud, he also stated that black cloud was a gimik and this stuff had a better punch at farther distances
Totally a gimick. No matter how its shaped if you cant shoot you wont hit.

Ive known guys who kill birds with the cheap winchester shells out to 50 60 yards. 2 3/4 no need for fancy stuff.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
Totally a gimick. No matter how its shaped if you cant shoot you wont hit.

Ive known guys who kill birds with the cheap winchester shells out to 50 60 yards. 2 3/4 no need for fancy stuff.
call the guys at canadain waterfowl pro shop he'll make some sense out of it, and from experince there is a difference between cheap stuff and fancy stuff, it may not make a big diff on duck but geese for sure, my bro was useing 2 3/4 winchester on geese and it was just bouncing off of them like ping pong balls, even at closer ranges. im not to sure if u shoot lots of geese but we do, and not every shot lets u shoot them in the head, and if u dont shoot them in the head the cheap stuff is no good. i still am a believer in black cloud, but at closer ranges it will tear up ur birds, the only problem with black cloud is u need an after market choke so it wont stirp the wad
Old 08-26-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
P&D in Edmonton has some, how many boxes and what shot sizes do you want?
I have to travel to Calgary next week, perhaps I can help you out. FS
hey fs thanks for the offer but i may be heading up next week, canadain watefowl has it for 36 a box and p&d 38 i may just head to cwp
cheers
Old 08-26-2008, 06:32 PM

I shot waterfowl just about everyday this season and I can tell you the reason I didnt finish birds was not because of the shells but because of poor shooting on my part. Place a good shot, kow you limits, and pattern your gun you will be fine.

Maybe you shouldbt be shooting birds a 60 yards anyway all your doing is skybusting and making them smart. Quit shooting at high flyers and you wont have a problem with the cheap stuff.

Oh and by the way I was shooting one of the cheapest guns on the market with the one of the cheapest ammunition and I still killed a ton of birds.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I shot waterfowl just about everyday this season and I can tell you the reason I didnt finish birds was not because of the shells but because of poor shooting on my part. Place a good shot, kow you limits, and pattern your gun you will be fine.

Maybe you shouldbt be shooting birds a 60 yards anyway all your doing is skybusting and making them smart. Quit shooting at high flyers and you wont have a problem with the cheap stuff.

Oh and by the way I was shooting one of the cheapest guns on the market with the one of the cheapest ammunition and I still killed a ton of birds.
no body mentioned skybusting the only reason why i like better shells is for a cleaner kill, and my longest kill was on geese that were finished but the last flyer got caped at 40 yards and with cheap shells u may just wond that bird not kill it, the only way i hunt is with decoys and finish all my birds and when ur getting a ton of birds coming down id rather want a cleaner kill. like i said geese and ducks are 2 different birds. when u shoot around 200 geese a year cheap stuff wont work i find i spend less money with the fancy stuff cuz im shooting less, rather then shooting 3 boxes of cheap stuff i shoot one box of good stuff, i hope that shows u a difference between the 2 aswell
Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 AM

Hey Bro, Dont worry GSP is probably one of those dudes that feeds his dogs Purina dog chow.

There's a reason why good shells cost more. It don't matter how good of a shooter you are If you respect the sport and you respect the game you're shooting you would do as much as you can to kill your birds in the most ethical way, even at 40 plus yards, Last year because we used blackcloud we spent less than when we used KENT.

So ryan GSP you continue to feed your pups PURINA and shoot garbage from your guns and we'll continue to bring home the birds.

Last edited by El Cazador; 08-27-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:55 PM

anyways back to the point of this thread id rather buy this stuff locally instead of getting it from edmonton all the time, anyone know of anyplaces in calgry id love to know
Old 08-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Do you mean Hevi-Shot,I have never heard of havi steel.Steel is steel none is heavier than another.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

Suli
Hevi Steel has some low grade Bizsmith mixed in its approx 15% more heavy than steel.'They call it "The son of Hevi Shot"

I took a read on the web about this stuff.. Looks good.

Jamie
Old 08-27-2008, 10:03 PM

El thats some pretty big talking for a guy who has no idea who he is talking too. When you go out and miss 7 days in an entire hunting season then you come tell me you shot more birds than I did. You go ahead and shoot the expensive stuff just means more boxes for me.

And no I feed my guy Acana not Purina
Old 08-28-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
El thats some pretty big talking for a guy who has no idea who he is talking too. When you go out and miss 7 days in an entire hunting season then you come tell me you shot more birds than I did. You go ahead and shoot the expensive stuff just means more boxes for me.

And no I feed my guy Acana not Purina
Old 08-28-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullijr View Post
Do you mean Hevi-Shot,I have never heard of havi steel.Steel is steel none is heavier than another.
sul its made by havi-shot but the product line is called havi-steel, i did some reviews on it to jamie and it looks amazing just need some to see how it looks in the shotgun
Old 08-28-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Haha.....these two statements are some of the funniest ones of the thread. You mention that you can kill birds at 60 yards with cheap ammo an then make a point of preaching abuot skybusting?!?!? I think you just called yourself out.....RyanGSP knows it all when it comes to birds.....

The one thing I will agree with him is that sometimes the cheap ammo works good on ducks and small birds. However, when you start hitting giant late season Canada's I have seen a difference. I dont shoot the top-end stuff but have definatly noticed a difference when I have shot it.....just too rich for my blood....

Tungsten Matrix has amazed me in the past.....if all it does is makes me shoot better because of the money I'm spending on each shot, then thats enough to kill more birds....
Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 AM

The one thing I will agree with him is that sometimes the cheap ammo works good on ducks and small birds. However, when you start hitting giant late season Canada's I have seen a difference. I dont shoot the top-end stuff but have definatly noticed a difference when I have shot it.....just too rich for my blood....

[QUOTE]

i have no problem shooting cheap stuff for ducks and birds, but when ur getting into over 200 geese a year the cheap stuff does not cut it, the whole reason for this thread was for the purpose for use on geese. hell ive even used the lowest steel shot for ducks but when it comes to geese its like they are wearing a bullet proof vest when it comes to cheap stuff. so ill agree with u rack all the way, u will notice a difference with the better stuff
Old 08-28-2008, 11:43 AM

Yep those big geese can sure take a load.....they are tough tough birds come December and I have noticed a lot quicker and more solid kills with the better loads....
Old 08-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
just wondering where i can find havi-steel in calgary
I call BS on this stuff. Waste money on it if you want, but I would recommend a few months of practice with a trained shooting instructor, if you do indeed have money to spend and the dignity to improve your shooting.

If your birds aren't taking a dirt-nap when you pull the trigger, I would reason that A) you missed or B) your pattern sucked, sooner than I would blame the 'cheapo ammo'.

Last edited by ABDUKNUT; 08-28-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Yep those big geese can sure take a load.....they are tough tough birds come December

Haha.....these two statements are some of the funniest ones of the thread. You mention that you can kill birds at 60 yards with cheap ammo an then make a point of preaching abuot skybusting?!?!? I think you just called yourself out
Actually, I think he said he has known people who could prove that geese can be killed even at long range with cheap, short shells. Then he went on to say that he did not recommend attempting this stunt.

You might be correct though, I did once read in an article that Canada Geese can weigh in excess of 16 lbs during the 'late season' and be dispatched only with the newest gimmick of 3.5" shotshells.

Last edited by ABDUKNUT; 08-28-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Suli
Hevi Steel has some low grade Bizsmith mixed in its approx 15% more heavy than steel.'They call it "The son of Hevi Shot"

I took a read on the web about this stuff.. Looks good.

Jamie
HeviSteel contains no Bismuth, it is 75% steel and 25% tungsten.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
I call BS on this stuff. Waste money on it if you want, but I would recommend a few months of practice with a trained shooting instructor, if you do indeed have money to spend and the dignity to improve your shooting.

If your birds aren't taking a dirt-nap when you pull the trigger, I would reason that A) you missed or B) your pattern sucked, sooner than I would blame the 'cheapo ammo'.
ya, i think im a pretty good shot. and i dont think 30 dollars a box is gunna break my bank. and abduknut or anyone one else that always bad mouths fancy shells. have u guys ever gave these shells a try. cuz i have used alot of different shells on the market and do notice a big difference. and if u havent tryed give it a try and u may just change your mind
Old 08-29-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
and abduknut or anyone one else that always bad mouths fancy shells. have u guys ever gave these shells a try.
I'm not bad mouthing fancy shells- I'm bad mouthing the notion that lack of skill and knowledge can be conveniently cured by dropping some quick cash on the latest fad or gimmic. And; I have tried them, don't like them, and really have no need for anything but 1 and 1/8 oz of high velocity steel #2's.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
HeviSteel contains no Bismuth, it is 75% steel and 25% tungsten.
Yes, Ab is correct. I got Bismuth and tungsten mixed up.
As for the content, I cant seem to find the web site I was useing.. So since I was the one wrong in the first place, I assume he is correct

As for what is better... Shoot what makes you feel comfortable and what your gun likes.
I have used expensive stuff, I have used cheap stuff... I still miss. Not sure why I do. I am blaming it on shooting from my butt, instead of standing up.

I was thinking I would haul out my Coffin blind to the range and try that for practice, or just sit on the ground and call for clays. I am going to have to make sure I am the only one out there when that goes down.

Jamie
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I am blaming it on shooting from my butt, instead of standing up.

Jamie
Good diagnosis- Shooting a moving target with a shotgun, while the lower half of your body is anchored to the ground is indeed tricky.

The advantage you do have with a layout style of blind, though, is that your profile can be hidden from the birds and your hide is easily camo'ed into the field- hopefully, this will trick the birds into presenting easy, close, shots in your kill hole.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Good diagnosis- Shooting a moving target with a shotgun, while the lower half of your body is anchored to the ground is indeed tricky.

The advantage you do have with a layout style of blind, though, is that your profile can be hidden from the birds and your hide is easily camo'ed into the field- hopefully, this will trick the birds into presenting easy, close, shots in your kill hole.
ive practiced this all off season its like when u bow hunt aswell practice kneeling sitting and standing same goes with riflie hunting