Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Default what make and model would you choose for a 7mm WSM

Just wondering what make and model of rifle your first choice would be in a 7mmWSM?

Thanks
Mike
Old 08-26-2008, 12:16 PM

I'm not sure that there are a lot of choices for the 7mm WSM on the market now. Other than Browning, and maybe Kimber, is anyone else chambering for that round? I would imagine Winchester will, if we ever see them north of the border anytime soon. My buddy has a Browning A-Bolt in 270 Win, and I think it's a nice rifle. Some guys don't like Browings though.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:27 PM

The Winchester model 70 (and maybe kimber) short action has a mag length of 3.1", which better accommodates longer, heavier bullets by allowing bullets to be seated further out (and occupying less case powder capacity) when handloading. The Remington, Savage etc. have a 2.85" action mag length, which limits the WSM overall catridge length. I would take the Model 70 (or similar 3.1" mag length action) for the WSM - there are a few still out there - try Bashaw Sports.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:16 PM

Default 7wsm

First choice would be a Sako 85, still listed in Wholesale Sports website, in 7 WSM, not sure if the new A7's are chambered in WSM. Browning A-bolts and new X-bolts are listed in Cabela's fall catalogue, but I want to hold one in my hands before buying it.. The new 2008 Winchester Model 70's are not advertised in 7WSM. Bashaw sports had new and used 7WSM's in Browning and Winchester last time I looked.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:18 PM

A Winchester Model 70 CRF in a stainless/synthetic rig would be my first choice no doubt......
Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 PM

Were I right handed, it would no doubt be a Kimber Montana.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
, not sure if the new A7's are chambered in WSM.

Not yet but they are in .270 WSM and .300 WSM.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:15 PM

For me it would be a "no brainer" - I'd look around for an 1885 Browning
falling block in either .270 or 7 WSM....
Cat!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 PM

I've got a Ruger 7WSM MarkII stainless with Hogue overmolded stock if you`re interested and its a tack driver.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 PM

Default 7wsm

A Winchester 1885 High Wall Hunter falling block in 7WSM has been on my wish list for a few years now. I think they are built on the same Browning design for around 1100 bucks - 28 inch, full octagon free-floating barrel. They say it weighs "8 Nickel pounds" - what are Nickel pounds?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Banned

Nice choice on the high wall, with the feeding issues I'v noticed some of my friend's short magnums tend to have, a single shot is about the only short mag I would consider owning.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:23 PM

When the Shortmags.org was on the go, they made quite a stir.
I never bought one because I was shooting the 6.5WSM wildcats then, but we raffled one off and it was a very nice rifle.
They are very scarce now, I haven't seen one for sale for quite a while.
The range reports all stated the same thing, as well- SUPER accuracy from a falling block!
BTW, the 28" highwall is 3" shorter than a 26" Sendaro, because of the tiny action!
*nickel pounds would be 8.5 I would guess.....
Cat
Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 PM

Kimber Montana.
I have one in 7mm-08. No complaints. Shoots under an inch. Well put together and light.
Swarovski has one in 270WSM. He did have to polish ramp and rails for smoother feeding on his - Kimber short actions have steep ramps. It will shoot 1/2 MOA.
Another friend just purchased the kimber classic in 7WSM - if you want, PM me and I'll let you know how he likes it - he'll be picking it up this weekend.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 AM

Kimbers are great...But for the money i would go Tikka...
Old 08-27-2008, 07:02 AM

For the money I'd go Kimber.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
I've got a Ruger 7WSM MarkII stainless with Hogue overmolded stock if you`re interested and its a tack driver.

You might want to hold on to that gal...Very little WSM were produced by Ruger and the 7mm is the rarest of them all..To a Ruger collector that rifle will fetch some good bucks.

To answer the question I'd wait for the new Winny's.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:26 AM

Sako or TIKKA
Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550 CAT View Post

To answer the question I'd wait for the new Winny's.
Last I checked, the 7WSM was not to be chambered in the new M70. Nothing a rebarrel can't fix though.....
Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 AM

Default 7mm

no body mentioned Savage
Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
Last I checked, the 7WSM was not to be chambered in the new M70. Nothing a rebarrel can't fix though.....

Yup a RKS S/S 24 inch gain twist barrel would work great........big grin
Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 AM

Sako if they offer the 7WSM otherwise I would change caliber and still go Sako....
Old 08-27-2008, 04:26 PM

i would go with the TIKKA T3 Hunter. They are beautiful guns and the smooth action is tough to beat. for the money I would pick no other. My bro in-law Has a savage in the 7mmWSM. It shoots ok but the action kinda suck and it has no clip or dump plate. I hate removing single shells from the gun when you return from a walk.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:21 PM

Default 7mmwsm custom

This one might fit your needs
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...d.php?t=254097
Old 08-28-2008, 07:57 AM

Well thank you for all the insight on this boys but with so many different suggestions I am still super confused.

I am not in a hurry for a gun.

I really wanted a Sako 75 grey wolf but since Sako dropped the 75 for the 85 I just don't like the new palm swell (the 75 fit me perfect) so first and foremost if anyone ever comes by this gun can you please let me know.

I have been looking at the new browning x bolt, but don't know if I like the bolt.

Stopped in quick yesterday to P&D and they had some Sauers there and man what a action those guns have.....probably the niceest gun I have ever picked up. probelm is they don't make a single short mag.

Anyone have much experience with the Sauers?

Thanks to everyone
Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 PM

They say it weighs "8 Nickel pounds" - what are Nickel pounds?

1.25 pounds = 200 wooden nickels!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 PM

Sako 85.

Too many problems with all WSMs on anything else that comes straight from the shelf.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Sako 85.

Too many problems with all WSMs on anything else that comes straight from the shelf.
What type of problems are you referring to? Is this personal experience or what you have heard? I have had 2 Winchester 70's in WSM's (although one I only fired 4 rounds out of), and currently 2 WSM A-Bolt's and never had any issue with them.
I have read articles claiming feeding problems, but between mine, ones friends own, and others I have spoke with that own or have owned WSM's, of numerous calibers and makes, no such issues what so ever.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:08 PM

Default Savage

Iv'e got one of these and it consistently puts 3 rounds ( 150 Nosler BT /60gr H4350) into 3/8" @100 EVERYTIME !!
Stainless steel, synthetic stock, detachable box magazine, accu trigger.........and the price allows more to spend on the optics !!!

http://www.savagearms.com/16fcss.htm
Old 09-06-2008, 05:33 PM

Default 7mm wsm

the new composite x-bolt is very nice, the ti is even nicer.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:09 PM

Here's my opinions based on both research and experience. Not all will agree, and that's OK as we all look for something different in our rifles. I am a fan the WSMs just based on ballistics and impact power. Not happy with the selection of off-the-shelf quality.

RE: Remington
I have encountered the same problems with feeding, jamming and extraction problems with every Remington 700 (in WSM) I have had my hands on. Four Alaskan Ti; for which I am truly disappointed, 5 or 6 SPS, one CDL stainless fluted, two Boone & Crocket CDLs and the 2 of the XCR RMEF have shown the same problems. I recently spoke with a prominent gunsmith about the Remingtons in WSM. His comment was, "I see more mechanical problems with the WSMs than any other gun out there."

RE: Browning
Overall quality of new models have gone downhill faster than the Remington 700. Only one of my buddies owns a WSM A-bolt or X-bolt. He reports the same problems I experienced on the Remiingtons. No complaints from any of my other comrades about Browning's older models in standard calibres.

RE: Savage
I do not know if they have ventured into the WSMs, but I would never have any intention of finding out. I like their rimfires, but that's where it ends.

RE: Winchester
I have not yet had one of the true Winchester 70s (in WSM) in my hands, but I keep hearing complaints from shooters at the range, about feed jams with the WSMs. What I have heard from theseshooters seems to parallel what I have experienced with the Remingtons. Any of my Winchester buddies have remained true, primarily to either the 270 Win or the 300 Win Mag.

RE: Kimber
More customer complaints and lawsuits relating to mechanical failure than Remington. The recent trials on tactical rifles turned out to be a failure; despite recent magazine articles, as the most common problem was feed jams with the WSMs (sound familiar???), as well as the bolt release pins being sheered off during use. Kimber does a great job of marketing and continues to gain public attention, but true quality seems to be lacking.

RE: Tikka
I don't want to ruffle anyone's feather's, as there are many fans out there, but you could not pay me to carry one. Apparently though, they handle the WSMs well and I have heard many shooters speak highly of the Tikka due to consistency and price.

RE: Sako
Had a few models in my hands, played with the actions and pounded a few rounds from several WSMs. They shoot nicely and I have not experienced any of the feed and extraction issues associated with th WSMs.