Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-02-2008, 05:30 PM

Default nem guns barrel break in

When a person gets a new gun should there be a way to properly break in the barrel ? How do you do it and are each manufacture have a certain way.? Thanks for any info.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:37 PM

I just clean it after I am done shooting it, every one has a diffrent way of "breaking in" a barrel, I haven't had any bad shooters by doing it this way, enjoy
Old 09-02-2008, 05:53 PM

Personally, I clean out the factory crud and go to the range and shoot it - figure guns should not have to be broken in, but ready to shoot. I have not noticed any significant difference in shooting accuracy - whether within the first 50 shots or the first 500.

Gale McMillan, one notable gunsmith stated essentially gun barrel break in was unnecessary - just another gimmick to wear the barrel out sooner and have to rebarrel the gun.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:56 PM

Some tout a break in as a accuracy adavntage, well on that one I'm not totally sold. But what did sell me as far as breaking in a barrel is the fact that the rifles seem to clean up way easier after break in, and they also dont seem to copper foul as fast as un broken in barrels.
I dont do a shoot and clean for 10 shots regime.
Instead I've gone to start clean, shoot and clean for the first 3 shots, then a 3 shot group, and a cleaning followed by another 3 shot group and a cleaning. the rest is normal operation from that point on.
Just make sure you use copper sovent and not nitro solvent.
I see it as so little time and effort put out for a lot of potential good.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-02-2008, 06:28 PM

I agree with Dick. I think the main and possibly only advantage is from a cleaning prospective. However I don't do any form of it anymore and don't think I ever will again. I hardly clean barrels at all anymore.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 PM

Im not a gunsmith and ive never played one on TV but...
my two-bits would echo the use of a hi quality one peice plastic coated rod and jag of some form, using aluminum rods will leave traces of aluminum on the rifling and be embedded to the bbl with the next firing.
use a rod guide and push a clean cotton patch through it from the breech to the muzzle, some patch leave more lint than others , while others have a aggressive effect on crud, keep the bbl pointed downward so any solvents dont enter the chamber/ magazine area. use a chamber mop to wipe the chamber dry after cleaning. (a 410 cotton swab works in 270 or 3006)ensure that the chamber is degreased and dry, a mirror polished chamber is not a good thing.

with the myriad of different solvents, miracle pastes, and bore cleaners available, which one to use is a personal choice...as long as you are aware that no single super-cleaner can remove lead, copper, plastics, oils, rust or chocolate cake stains..etc. so each problem has to be addressed adhoc.
having a succesful cleaning regiman for that particular rifle is as important as finding a one-hole handload for it. some need it in 20, others every 50, still others..never

I usually do a complete teardown, add fresh lube wear needed, clean the bore before season. Then a bbl get it every 20-25 shots or after a dirty muddy, dusty or wet(rain or condensation) hunt.
I also would suggest you put a peice of electrical tape over the muzzle to prevent any krap from entering your new shiny pipe.
cleaning your guns should be an enjoyable pastime like tying flies, painting a picture or knitting scarves like Dick284 does in the off season.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 PM

One thing that Roger didn't mention that I find invaluable for cleaning is a good vice. For cleaning and home gunsmithing it is one of the best investments I've made.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 PM

One good thorough cleaning fresh out of the box and then shoot it till accuracy drops. Depending on the rifle that could be alot of rounds. I'll give in and clean after a hunt in inclement weather though.

So, I guess I'm in the 'No break-in' camp........
Old 09-04-2008, 09:39 PM

Some guys, and you know who you are, clean their barrels by firing another bullet through it. Others are a bit more discriminating.

Recently, I received two new rifles both rebarrelled by Hart Barrels. These barrels are handlapped by Hart. Because these barrels, as are all barrels, are proof tested, I spent the required time to clean them clean before I fired the first load through them. Then, I cleaned after every shot for the first ten shots, then every two shots for the next ten shots, then every three shots for the next fifteen then every five shots for the next ten. Will this make a difference on the accuracy capabilities of these barrels? How does one determine that? Can it hurt? No!!!! For the time and effort it requires, I'll continue to follow this procedure for every barrel I own.

However, according to Rusty P. Bucket, I full dram of single malt scotch down the pipe will greatly enhance the accuracy of his rifles. After what I've seen of his targets, it's a damn good thing he used the scotch as the groups were poor enough with the scotch treatment, I'd be saddened to see what they would be like without the scotch.

Bobby B.