Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-03-2008, 10:15 AM

Default Choosing ammo, sighting in

Trying to decide on a round my Browning .270 Win. likes, or at least tolerates, for the upcoming season. I don't reload so factory it is. Not too enthused with any of my results so far.

Here's my ammo tried and 100 yard groups (3 shot):

Hornady Custom 150 gr. SP: 1 3/4", 1 7/8", 2", 2", for average of 1 7/8". These looked best. Often two shots quite close together.

Nosler Accubond (Federal) 140 gr.: 1 7/8", 1 1/2", 2 7/8", 3" for average of 2 1/4"

Trophy Bond Bear Claw (Federal) 140 gr.: 1 1/2", 2", 4 1/4", 4 3/4" for average of 3 1/8"

Remington Express Core Lockt 130gr.: 2 1/4", 2 1/2" for average of 2 3/8". (I just had some of these. I realize they are probably a bit light/not stout enough for elk)

Should I just settle on the Hornady's and be done with it or keep looking? Tried Partition 150's (Federal) last year and they were all over the place. Want something for deer and elk, and probably won't be taking many shots over 200 yards or so. Maybe a bit over, but certainly not 300 as I'm a rookie to big game. Anyone used the Hornadys? OK on elk?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:55 AM

Default Try some 130's?

My Ruger .270 does not eat 150gr. anything very well. Someone who may or may not know what they are talking about told me it was because of rate of barrel twist?? Any way I get much better results with 130, mine really like partions and fusion ammo. I am still trying out different loads in 150 gr. just bought some 150 partions and a box of 130 barnes to see how the gun likes them. I am sure when it is all said and done I will be back to 130 gr partions for this hunting season. I would like to shoot 150s but if my gun does not like them... I would rather shoot the most consistent bullet from my gun and not be too worried about the 20gr. I will just have to pick me shot if I ever get a crack at Mr. Elk.
Good luck, I know its not cheap to keep trying new ammo but it sure is fun!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 AM

What are you shooting from - using sandbags, or better a good quality front rest? How much scope power? Most Brownings will shoot a bit better than that - with what you've tried so far, something in there ought to have worked. Check all the attaching screws - front and rear. Overtightening is worse than under. Make sure your bases are very secure, your scope is aligned with the mounts properly and the screws are good and snug, even torque on them and none bottomed out. CLEAN THE BORE real well - might look clean but it may be nothing more than copper fouling causing all the trouble. A fouled bore is generally the first place to look. A .270 can easily be a fine all around caliber and is capable of doing anything you might need of it in this country, with the plethora of super bullets available now. Never saw a decent rifle that wasn't capable of 1" or less with the right load(s).
Old 09-03-2008, 02:17 PM

Most of the guns I've had have liked the Winchester ammo. My 30-06 was particularily fond of the cheap Silvertips. The 7mm-08 seems to like it as well as the .243 I used to have. Unfortunately they don't make anything for my 300 wthby..........
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtennex View Post
What are you shooting from - using sandbags, or better a good quality front rest? How much scope power? Most Brownings will shoot a bit better than that - with what you've tried so far, something in there ought to have worked. Check all the attaching screws - front and rear. Overtightening is worse than under. Make sure your bases are very secure, your scope is aligned with the mounts properly and the screws are good and snug, even torque on them and none bottomed out. CLEAN THE BORE real well - might look clean but it may be nothing more than copper fouling causing all the trouble. A fouled bore is generally the first place to look. A .270 can easily be a fine all around caliber and is capable of doing anything you might need of it in this country, with the plethora of super bullets available now. Never saw a decent rifle that wasn't capable of 1" or less with the right load(s).
Sandbags. On 9 power on a 3x9-40 scope. I even got some advice on how to hold the rifle from the Calgary Wholesale Sports store manager who happened to be there. Was useful.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:49 PM

Are the first two shots the almost touching ones?
If so, dont sweat it, you likely have pressure point bedding and heck after two shots what do hope to accomplish?
If a load in a un touched or tweeked hunting rifle consistantly lands the first couple rounds really close together, just shoot two, let things cool out then shoot two more, let it cool out followed by another 2 shots, if you get a good group hunt with it.
Many Ruger#1's have this problem with the quater rib to mount the scope on the barrel, the barrel gets warm things stress or move and now your group spreads. Same thing with pressure point bedding, the barrel heats up and pressure on the barrel changes and voila your group goes to heck.

Again if you need more than two shots your likely in a world of hurt in some way shape or form.
Does a nice tight 3 or 5 shot group give you much of an edge?

There are no absolutes
Old 09-03-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Are the first two shots the almost touching ones?
If so, dont sweat it, you likely have pressure point bedding and heck after two shots what do hope to accomplish?
If a load in a un touched or tweeked hunting rifle consistantly lands the first couple rounds really close together, just shoot two, let things cool out then shoot two more, let it cool out followed by another 2 shots, if you get a good group hunt with it.
Many Ruger#1's have this problem with the quater rib to mount the scope on the barrel, the barrel gets warm things stress or move and now your group spreads. Same thing with pressure point bedding, the barrel heats up and pressure on the barrel changes and voila your group goes to heck.

Again if you need more than two shots your likely in a world of hurt in some way shape or form.
Does a nice tight 3 or 5 shot group give you much of an edge?

I don't know if they are the first two or not Dick. I guess I could try just two as you suggested, and I'm sure I could have let more time go by with regard to cool down, but my father was there waiting and I wanted to get it over with. Let's say what I got is all I can get. Would Hornady custom 150gr. SP's shooting a touch under two inch groups at 100 be alright for elk at, say, 200 yards, or should I continue to explore other ammo? What's good enough to start hunting, and is a 150 SP OK? I was told by the clerk that they are bonded bullets, but I don't really know anything about them.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:57 PM

Okotokian

Shoot your rifle how you are going to hunt with it. Free hand, shooting sticks prone Bipod......then see how your 2 shot group looks.

As for the 2 inch group, well the elk will be just as dead as with the 1 inch group if its in the boiler room. Just my opinion

AL
Old 09-04-2008, 10:58 AM

Default 270 tbbc

I am by no means a shooting expert but your grouping with the trophey bonded is about the same as what I get outta mine.I blame it on my shooting skills,or lack of,more than the ammo or gun though.In the last 10 or so yrs I've been shooting them,I have had no moose complain to me about the size of group they print.Well maybe one but that goes back to lack of skills perhaps and a poorly placed shot.I've been kinda Elk deprived,but I'm sure they work as well on them as they do on the 5 or 6 moose I've shot,and on the WT I shoot pretty well every year.Any of the lead I've pulled outta the critters seem to be almost perfect mushrooms with little to no wieght loss(by visual inspection,anyway).The biggest complaint I have about them is the price of them now a days.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:14 PM

Well, I decided to try a little more. Bought a box of Winchester XP and a box of Fusions, both in 150 gr. Will give them a try. Wonder about the Fusions... have heard they are great for deer but not so much for the heavier stuff like elk. Clerk said they were bonded and would be fine. Interesting they are barely half the price of the XP's.... hmmmmmmm I'm SO CONFUSED!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:14 PM

If your 150g Fusions work good, use em. They should smoke an elk no problem. Like said before give the gun a good cleaning. I even clean between different bullet types when testing, I've found different copper alloys seem to change accuracy of the next batch.

Just my .02