Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briverb View Post
Whoops. Accidentally posted this on the buy and sell.

Snagged the last one at a Canadian Tire this morning for $225. Checked the manual and mix ratio is 40:1. Same as the manual directly from Jiffy website.

http://www.jiffyonice.com/Jiffy%2030...s%20Manual.pdf

Mixed my fuel, followed the intructions and had the auger running this afternoon without much effort. Went out a couple of hours ago to run it again and no problems. Hoping tomorrow, she'll run fine.

My buddy bought a Jiffy 30 Series, 3 hp 9 inch at the end of last season on sale and the ratio mix in his manual says 24:1. Only one chart in his manual. So he mixed the fuel at the beginning of this season and we used his auger a few times. Although we did manage to get enough holes drilled each trip, it did not run very smooth. Kept stalling. He used the Jiffy no smoke oil for the mix.

Other manuals I have seen for the 30 Series indicate 40:1 for ice augers and 24:1 for all other applications.

I'm wondering if the manual he got with his auger is incorrect and he should mix 40:1.

Any suggestions??

Thanks. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Hey guys I also own a Jiffy model 30 & have spent many nights on the internet trying to solve the same dilemma & the answer is both mixes are correct. All the info I could find on the web pointed toward both ratios being mention as correct straight from Jiffy. I can tell you I have purchased several Tecumseh & Jiffy repair & owner manuals as well as the carburetor repair manual(since I have torn my carburetor appart five times to get it to run properly) & can confirm that between all my manuals 24:1 & 40:1 are both mentioned several times

After some correspondance from techs at Tecumseh Canada, their response to this question is "either mixture will work just make sure to use quality 2stroke oil & premium fuel without methanol." They went on to say that they know there is confusion about the correct mixture & are planning on simplifying future re-prints of repair/owner manuals. I was told the best idea would be to run 24:1 for the break-in (roughly 70hrs?) then switch to 40:1 after.

I'm not a mechanic so please don't start questioning/attacking me if you are having trouble with your stuff but I have spent considerable time & effort to get to the bottom of this confusion & this is what I have found. Hope this helps. John.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM

thanks to Dean who started this post.....went on a bit of a chase this AM....but got what I wanted ...a half price 2 man Sub Zero shelter....saved over 100 dollars!! ( this is apparently identical to the Ice Cube by Eastman )

there was one left in leduc....6 in Spruce Grove....not sure if there are any 4 mans out there. but this one I can stand up in, not hunched over...and awesome size for one mom and a kid or two....did I say I saved over a HUNDRED BUCKS lol thanks again

they also had hand augers still on for a good deal. Leduc and Spruce Grove seemed well stocked.

just in time for the cold weather....

Last edited by bunnyhunter; 03-09-2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-09-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post
thanks to Dean who started this post.....went on a bit of a chase this AM....but got what I wanted ...a half price 2 man Sub Zero shelter....saved over 100 dollars!! ( this is apparently identical to the Ice Cube by Eastman )

there was one left in leduc....6 in Spruce Grove....not sure if there are any 4 mans out there. but this one I can stand up in, not hunched over...and awesome size for one mom and a kid or two....did I say I saved over a HUNDRED BUCKS lol thanks again

they also had hand augers still on for a good deal. Leduc and Spruce Grove seemed well stocked.

just in time for the cold weather....
I was out of luck but I have a rain check for the 10 inch lengend Jiffy auger 199.00
Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
Hey guys I also own a Jiffy model 30 & have spent many nights on the internet trying to solve the same dilemma & the answer is both mixes are correct. All the info I could find on the web pointed toward both ratios being mention as correct straight from Jiffy. I can tell you I have purchased several Tecumseh & Jiffy repair & owner manuals as well as the carburetor repair manual(since I have torn my carburetor appart five times to get it to run properly) & can confirm that between all my manuals 24:1 & 40:1 are both mentioned several times

After some correspondance from techs at Tecumseh Canada, their response to this question is "either mixture will work just make sure to use quality 2stroke oil & premium fuel without methanol." They went on to say that they know there is confusion about the correct mixture & are planning on simplifying future re-prints of repair/owner manuals. I was told the best idea would be to run 24:1 for the break-in (roughly 70hrs?) then switch to 40:1 after.

I'm not a mechanic so please don't start questioning/attacking me if you are having trouble with your stuff but I have spent considerable time & effort to get to the bottom of this confusion & this is what I have found. Hope this helps. John.
could you tell me where you got the carb manual? tecumsheh?
Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I was out of luck but I have a rain check for the 10 inch lengend Jiffy auger 199.00
Is that raincheck actually any use if they are not ordering anymore? I'd assume that no more new stock would be coming in as the season is over half done.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
Is that raincheck actually any use if they are not ordering anymore? I'd assume that no more new stock would be coming in as the season is over half done.
No idea , the guy said come in 10 days they should have another . So I dont know , and there isnt a experation date on the rain cheque ither , LOL maybe wait until next fall LOL or not at all .
Old 03-09-2009, 03:06 PM

Default Oil Ratio

I been using Opti-2 oil for stroke motors. They guarentee the motor with their oil at their mix. It come in a handy pkg for 10L of mix fuel. Its 100:1 andit what we have used for years in our chain saws and the Jiffy Ice Auger 3HP with 10" auger, weed whacker/trimmer. Since my little Honda 350 Generator is 2 stroke and 100:1 - we use it in everything. That way dont have to pack different jerry cans to moose camp for chain saws and generator.

Thanks for the heads up on Ice fishing goods. I'll have to look at my local CT.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM

With Respect to the raincheck. I got one for a tent but at the very bottom it expires in 30 days. My tent is to come in before it expires...maybe???
The person who helped me suggested that I start calling on the approximate arrival date because if they do get some they do not guarantee calling everyone with rainchecks.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:49 PM

Picked up a 3hp 8" today, had 118 in Canadian tire money and a 50.00 gift card so it was a pretty good deal for me. Was here in NFLD, had to drive 2.5 hrs but thats life, gonna turn the pond into Swiss Cheese soon.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:24 PM

I'll probably regret this next year but I checked all the stores in southern Alberta (even Fernie in BC) and all power augers are sold out EXCEPT two Jiffy 30s in Olds. I was going to go up there to get one but just dont have the time so whoever gets them you owe me 2 holes in the ice
Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 AM

If you missed out on the power augers, there are several 5 and 6 inch manual ones left at the Crowfoot CT
Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
With Respect to the raincheck. I got one for a tent but at the very bottom it expires in 30 days. My tent is to come in before it expires...maybe???
The person who helped me suggested that I start calling on the approximate arrival date because if they do get some they do not guarantee calling everyone with rainchecks.
I had another look there's nothing implying there's an expiry date.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:04 AM

I also picked up a couple o rods half price and some jiggs, was looking fr a 4 man tent but sold out everywhere, hopefully can get some kind of deal when the Bass Pro shop opens his spring in Balzac.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:56 AM

Went back again yesterday to the Can Trash in St.Albert. Low and behold I found a Pelican tub sleigh for $19.99. Same one at the fishing hole was about $60 bucks!!! Gotta Love CT!!! LOL

BH

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 AM

Even though I banned myself from shopping at Crappy Tire due to repeated instances of horrible service, this thread forced me to reconsider and issue myself a one-time pass to get back in. I ended up with a 6" manual auger, and a couple ice fishing rods for $50. They had one Jiffy 8" gas auger left but after hearing reports on the quality of the engine I'll try a cordless drill adapter first. I haven't been on hard water since I was a kid so now I'm getting a little excited!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM

Made it to the Athabasca store, and although it was pretty much cleaned out, I managed to score an 8 inch manual auger for 35 bucks, among other things. There was still a half dozen or so of them left. There was one 2 man ice tent left, which was marked down to 200 bucks.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:16 PM

Here in Cold lake I bought a Vexilar FL-8SE for 225 Dollars!!! Regula price is over 400!!! What a sale this place is haveing, just wish I had found out sooner

Cant wait to try my new unit on Gull this weekend!!!

Barbwie
Old 03-11-2009, 04:56 AM

Picked up an Eagle fish finder for $169.99, half price!!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:21 AM

Saw them there to sirmike.Had a hard time making up my mind between it and the Hummingbird 141c, but I ended up going with the Hummingbird. $159 how can you go wrong......

BH

Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 AM

Booo....the CanTire in the Edm South is sold out of everything...double booo
Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 PM

ATTENTION ATTENTION!!!1

For all you guys and gals looking for the cheap gas augers, print out the online canadian tire flyers and go to walmart and give them a price match.

There were 3 jiffy model 30's at the deerfootmall walmart

they were selling there model 30's for 400 bucks and can tire was 240 something for a model 30

my girlfriend use to work there and she told me about this.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 PM

Default canadian tire

hey if anyone needs stuff from canadian tire you will have to go east of the border i looked all over edmonton and surrouding areas and ended up makin my brother drive three hours from were he lives to kindersly sask apparently noone there fishes i got two new augers along with three 3 man frabill tents and a underwater camera,,, gave him my old jiffy auger and tent for driving there and they still have some stuff but sale was over today i beleive,,,and they were the only canadian tire with the underwater cams on sale,,,, i guess everyone will be waiting outside the doors next year for this sale ,,,,same time every year