Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Default best all around hunting rifle

I'm sure this question has been asked many times but can't seem to find a thread using the search. After postponing it for years I finally got my PAL when my dad gave me the .22 that we used to shoot when I was kid. I've done a bit of bowhunting over the years but now that I have my PAL I'm looking at buying a rifle. I'm sure there are some varied opinions but if I was going to buy just one rifle what is the best calibre for hunting deer, elk, and moose in Alberta?

Ryan
Old 12-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Banned

Anything from the 6.5x55 on up to the 7mm mag are good all around rifles. I think for the BEST all around rifle the majority of guys, myself included, would reccomend either the .270 win or the 30-06. Its hard to argue with the 30-06 with its wide selection of loads its hard to dispute its versitility. The .270 on the other hand has the strength of being able to do almost anything the 30-06 can do without switching bullets, to me its kind of a "set it and forget it gun". I usualy have my .270 sighted in for mid grade 150 grain bullets like the corelock or the fusion, they give me a pretty flat tradjectory out to 300 yards for when I hunt farmland deer, and plenty of penetration for my yearly moose and elk hunts.

Last edited by Cal; 12-19-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:41 PM

I am a big fan of the .280,but just as important if not more so than caliber,is to find a rifle that fits you.

Try different makes and models till you find one your comfortable with,then start looking at caliber selection. .270,.280 30-06 any of these calibers will do fine without excessive recoil
Old 12-19-2010, 03:47 PM

30-06 is probably the best starter. No such thing as 1 bullet for big game with a 270 and bigger is always better when you have the selection of bullets that are available for the 30-06. With the new factory light magnum and similar cartridges you can have a near to Winchester magnum cartridge. Less deflection of the bullet whether over long distances or using heavy bullets for bush hunting those big moose.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
No such thing as 1 bullet for big game with a 270 and bigger is always better when you have the selection of bullets that are available for the 30-06.
What Alberta big game could you not hunt with the 130gr TTSX out of a 270win?Or with a 140gr TTSX out of a 7mm-08,or a 280,or a 7mmremmag?

Quote:
With the new factory light magnum and similar cartridges you can have a near to Winchester magnum cartridge. Less deflection of the bullet whether over long distances or using heavy bullets for bush hunting those big moose.
All bullets will deflect if they strike brush,and many test simulations have been performed that indicate that heavier bullets don't necessarily deflect less than lighter bullets.In any case,if a bullet strikes brush,it can't be counted on to hit the animal in the proper spot,regardless of the bullet weight being used.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equanuck View Post
No such thing as 1 bullet for big game with a 270
Umm, I think maybe a 140g TSX will do just fine. ( Elkhunter11 was too fast for me )

Lots of good cartridges as mentioned already, you need to find the rifle you like, and then make sure the cartridge is available, which won't be an issue if you stick to the common chamberings. Ammo availability, and cost may also be an issue for you. Lastly invest some good $$ into your optics, both scope, and binoculars.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
What Alberta big game could you not hunt with the 130gr TTSX out of a 270win?Or with a 140gr TTSX out of a 7mm-08,or a 280,or a 7mmremmag?

All bullets will deflect if they strike brush,and many test simulations have been performed that indicate that heavier bullets don't necessarily deflect less than lighter bullets.In any case,if a bullet strikes brush,it can't be counted on to hit the animal in the proper spot,regardless of the bullet weight being used.
Wow! Joined less than a day ago and feel like I'm at home for xmas! Arguements already! LOL!
Elkhunter a couple of points: 1) It's been proven than you can kill any game in Nth America with less gun than the 270. Not disagreeing. 2) I stated "less" deflection with the heavier bullets (wind?) and if you're in the bush you'll be shooting up close.
The gent was asking what everyone thought. I personally believe that the more lead the better. I've seen too many animals run away or not be found from the lighter calibers and I also believe that if you are going to shoot an animal you should use a suitable cartridge. To "me" 270 for deer - OK, moose / elk I prefer bigger. the 06 is my starter.. I haven't lost a single animal using my 300, 30-378, or 338-378 Weatherby's. I also now have a 408 CheyTac but that one's for varmint shooting. LOL! Happy Holidays from Iraq!
Old 12-19-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
and if you're in the bush you'll be shooting up close.
Which is no problem at all with a TTSX,even a lighter weight one.

Quote:
To "me" 270 for deer - OK, moose / elk I prefer bigger. the 06 is my starter..
Personally,I consider the 25-06 optimal for deer,and the 270win more than is required for deer.I personally prefer to start with a .284" bullet for elk and moose,but a proper .277" bullet will certainly get the job done.

Quote:
I haven't lost a single animal using my 300, 30-378, or 338-378 Weatherby's.
That is great to hear,but it doesn't prove that you need a Weatherby magnum for big game hunting in Alberta.Many other people can make the same claim,and they don't use magnums.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:29 PM

Preferences I guess. I don't get to hunt every year and I'm not the "shoot at the first thing that moves" hunter that I was 25 yrs ago. I just like to make certain that what I do shoot at goes down. Someone said "better to have too much and not need it than to not have enough". Where I hunt is mixed between farm fields, bush and plenty of cut lines to view down so I prefer the option of having the higher down range power as well as the larger close up knock down power of a 30 cal over the smaller bullets. 7mm rem mag not the same class as a 270Win. BTW my 7mm was my step dads favorite for moose before he passed away earlier this year.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:31 PM

as rotti said: get one that fits you properly as for cal. as long as its 6.5= to .264cal to 3ocal or even bigger wuold be fine.but hunting you need a gun that is dead in line with your target the second it tuoches your shoulder in off hand stance.if you have to take half a second to line it up leave it where it is.if it fits properly it becomes apart of you.and you will never sell it becuase to get a rifle that fits is hard to do unless custom built to you.but if you look long and hard it is possible to find one off the shelf. GOOD LUCK
Old 12-19-2010, 05:42 PM

This is easy. Browning X-bolt Stainless Stalker in what else but a 270wsm.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
I am a big fan of the .280,but just as important if not more so than caliber,is to find a rifle that fits you.
You're not going to 'find' a rifle that fits, if you don't have the industry average 13-and-change length of pull. Same goes for not having a small scope, short bases, and a short squat neck yourself. I have never seen a commercial hunting rifle with adjustable cheekpiece and LOP, so a lot of people would need some stock customization for proper fit in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
Try different makes and models till you find one your comfortable with,then start looking at caliber selection. .270,.280 30-06 any of these calibers will do fine without excessive recoil
It's better to select a proper cartridge first, which will do the job(s) that you have in mind. There's a big difference between having a quick-handling thumper that's good for moose, bear and deer at short range in heavy cover (e.g. Marlin 45-70 or a slug gun), vs something for big farmland whitetails at 350 yards (e.g. 270 or 280AI or 7mm), vs elk at 500 yards (e.g. high-octane 338), vs pronghorn at 500 yards (e.g. 6mm or 6.5-284), vs coyotes at 200 yards (e.g. .223 or 6mm)

The same goes for compromises, or 'general' cartridges. You have to figure out what the biggest animal is at your longest probable range, then identify the most appropriate and capable cartridge for it. Then make sure the recoil isn't excessive for you. If it is, downsize to something that is manageable and be a little more conservative in your hunting expectations.

Lots of rifle styles are available in a wide range of cartridges. So, after you identify the correct cartridge, then you'll probably be able to get the stock or cosmetics that you want.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 View Post
You're not going to 'find' a rifle that fits, if you don't have the industry average 13-and-change length of pull. Same goes for not having a small scope, short bases, and a short squat neck yourself. I have never seen a commercial hunting rifle with adjustable cheekpiece and LOP, so a lot of people would need some stock customization for proper fit in any case.

It's better to select a proper cartridge first, which will do the job(s) that you have in mind. There's a big difference between having a quick-handling thumper that's good for moose, bear and deer at short range in heavy cover (e.g. Marlin 45-70 or a slug gun), vs something for big farmland whitetails at 350 yards (e.g. 270 or 280AI or 7mm), vs elk at 500 yards (e.g. high-octane 338), vs pronghorn at 500 yards (e.g. 6mm or 6.5-284), vs coyotes at 200 yards (e.g. .223 or 6mm)

The same goes for compromises, or 'general' cartridges. You have to figure out what the biggest animal is at your longest probable range, then identify the most appropriate and capable cartridge for it. Then make sure the recoil isn't excessive for you. If it is, downsize to something that is manageable and be a little more conservative in your hunting expectations.

Lots of rifle styles are available in a wide range of cartridges. So, after you identify the correct cartridge, then you'll probably be able to get the stock or cosmetics that you want.
and that young man....... is all you need to know! well said.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
30-06 is probably the best starter. No such thing as 1 bullet for big game with a 270 and bigger is always better when you have the selection of bullets that are available for the 30-06. With the new factory light magnum and similar cartridges you can have a near to Winchester magnum cartridge. Less deflection of the bullet whether over long distances or using heavy bullets for bush hunting those big moose.
I just told you what bullets I use for everything from open country mulies and coyotes to big timber white tails and moose which I hunt almost every year, so yes they do exist. I prefer to use less expencive 150's but like the others say, if you spend a bit more on bullets you can use tough 130's.

Not saying the 30-06 isnt a great choice and probably the most versitile round on the planet, just presenting what I feel is the .270's strength. The 30-06 with the right bullet can also handle anything but IMO with the .270 I can find a better compromise of range and penetration in one bullet to handle a wide variety of hunting slightly better than with the 30-06. Admitedly any advantage one good "all around" cartridge has over another is usualy very slight.

Last edited by Cal; 12-19-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The 30-06 with the right bullet can also handle anything but IMO with the .270 I can find a better compromise of range and penetration in one bullet to handle a wide variety of hunting slightly better than with the 30-06.
And the 280 is the best of both worlds.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

Unless you live in slave lake, dont reload, and have to drive 2-3 hours to find .280 amo.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Unless you live in slave lake, dont reload, and have to drive 2-3 hours to find .280 amo.
You could simply purchase several boxes of the same lot number at a time,so you don't run out.I always get a laugh out of the people that run out of ammunition ,and stop by a store and pick up a box of whatever load they stock on their way out hunting.Most of those people don't even bother checking the zero when they change loads or lot numbers.Most of them don't even know what lot numbers are,let alone realize that different lot numbers could mean a different point of impact.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
There are MANY people who have hunted for more than40 years with one weight of bullet in a 270, 308, '06, 6.5X55, and any other number of cartridges.
And as far as bigger bullets deflecting less in heavy cover, studies have proven that ALL bullets , regardless of size or weight, deflect enormously when they hit bushes brush, dowels, or any other type of test media.
I use one size bullet these days , be it for moose, deer, or coyotes form that matter, and have had no problem killing all with it.
I also killed all three with a muzzle loader with the same weight of round ball.
Cat
Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 PM

I'd have a hard time coming up with something better than the 270 Winchester.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You could simply purchase several boxes of the same lot number at a time,so you don't run out.I always get a laugh out of the people that run out of ammunition ,and stop by a store and pick up a box of whatever load they stock on their way out hunting.Most of those people don't even bother checking the zero when they change loads or lot numbers.Most of them don't even know what lot numbers are,let alone realize that different lot numbers could mean a different point of impact.
Your making an awfull lot of assumptions there just on the fact that I like the option of buying my amunition localy when I need to. If I ever start reloading I would probably get a .280 but untill then I'll enjoy yet another advantage of the .270, plentifull amo!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:30 PM

338win mag
Old 12-19-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Your making an awfull lot of assumptions there just on the fact that I like the option of buying my amunition localy when I need to.
Do you always hunt with exactly the same load?Do you verify the point of impact by shooting every different load that you hunt with?Do you know what the lot number is when discussing factory ammunition?Do you know how to find the lot number?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 View Post

I must be the exception then, I have a Sako,several Remington 700, A a Tika and the list goes on.
They do fit me and fit me well. So as I was saying I would rather have a firearm that fits,and then find a suitable caliber for the job than the other way around.

Its what works for me,so it may work for others. It certainly cant hurt to try fit/comfort firts
Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 AM

X2 and then some
Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 AM

Ah yes,the ole one gun wonder thread again
HORSE HOCKEY
No such thing . If there was why would there be a market for so many cartridges? No its not a gullable populus cause a lot of those different size cartridges came about before we got stupid. You can't hunt jungle cover where whitetail are just outlines with a 243 and you can't hunt wide open 300 yd stuff with shotgun slugs. I should never say can't. I should say, NOT PRACTICAL. The notion of "BEST ALL ROUND GUN" is just that, a notion
Old 12-20-2010, 04:41 AM

Default 30-06

30-06

ammo is everywhere

great variety of bullets

easy to handload for

all around great first rifle

Get it with a receiver site, or Low powered scope. 1x-5x. nothing higher than a 2x on the low end. You will learn to shoot better with it. and you can do most if not ALL your shooting on 1-2 power.

learn to shoot it well. then you will learn what you may want to change.

as a bowhunter, you should have no problem getting within close gun range.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:01 AM

300 wsm is my favorite, but i am quickly falling in love with my 270wsm it is a killing machine. Both i like vey much.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhere View Post
Ah yes,the ole one gun wonder thread again
HORSE HOCKEY
No such thing . If there was why would there be a market for so many cartridges? No its not a gullable populus cause a lot of those different size cartridges came about before we got stupid. You can't hunt jungle cover where whitetail are just outlines with a 243 and you can't hunt wide open 300 yd stuff with shotgun slugs. I should never say can't. I should say, NOT PRACTICAL. The notion of "BEST ALL ROUND GUN" is just that, a notion
There is such a wide market for guns and cartridges because people design stuff to sell to people who think they need them .
I know MANY people who have only one rifle for big game, and have used only one rifle for many years.
Some are 30.30's , some are 303's , some are 243's.
I know one fella who gets his son to hand load for him.
His only rifle he has used since i have known him ( over 25 years) is a 240 Weatherby.
he uses it for EVERYTHING form bears to moose and hunts with it regardless of where he is.
Another used a 250 savage for the first 15 years he hunted , then a 243, and shot deer , moose and a few bears with it before someone told him he needed a 30'06.
My father used only one gun to hunt with for years, and he was an industry rep.
People do not NEED a who bunch of different guns, we just THINK we do.
bbIf you think you cannot hunt open country with one gun, you are fooling yourself.
Just a few years back my buddy and I were down south in new Bbrigdon area and he shot a nice big deer with a single shot martini Shotgun.
I myself hunted for many years, with one rifle, a .58 calibre muzzle loader , and always got my animals.
Also,every animal in the B&C book was put in by a fella shooting a 30'06 with a low powered scope , so yes, there is need for only one rifle, but that would be boring for most of us.

Cat
Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyster View Post
I'm sure this question has been asked many times but can't seem to find a thread using the search. After postponing it for years I finally got my PAL when my dad gave me the .22 that we used to shoot when I was kid. I've done a bit of bowhunting over the years but now that I have my PAL I'm looking at buying a rifle. I'm sure there are some varied opinions but if I was going to buy just one rifle what is the best calibre for hunting deer, elk, and moose in Alberta?

Ryan
i vote 270
Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 AM

The 270 WIN and 30-06 have certainly stood the test of time. I use my 270 more than any other caliber and for deer sized animals it's all you need.
However, if you can tolerate a little more recoil, and if you see moose or elk hunting in your future you might be happier with a 300 win mag (or 300 wsm) for an all around big game rifle. Just my thoughts on the matter.