Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-09-2024, 09:49 PM
Sakoman's Avatar
Sakoman Sakoman is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,776
Default Tarp

What do you sheep hunters prefer for a tarp to shelter yourself from the rain / wind if needed?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-09-2024, 10:03 PM
fatboyz fatboyz is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: rocky Mountain House
Posts: 1,548
Default

I use a small SIL tarp and a trekking pole. I also carry a couple light weight aluminum angle type pegs and some extra para cord.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-10-2024, 10:11 AM
calgarychef calgarychef is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,790
Default

Iíve got a good tarp sold by a Canadian company but I canít remember the name, it ďmightĒ be RAB They come in three weights and I got the middle weight, whatever that is. There are tarp forums and a tarp group on fb (of course). After watching the myriad of ways that folks set up tarps Iíve come to the conclusion that square is better than rectangle. That might be good to keep in mind when purchasing.

We set up a tarp for two of us to sleep under on a late season sheep hunt and it snowed over a foot that night I was very happy that Iíd used a small dead spruce as a ridge pole rather than a rope and some ďyĒ sticks to hold up that pole. Another trick is using a pebble and a slip knot to tie the tarp edges, that wonít pull out like grommets sometimes do and itís easy to untie.

Last edited by calgarychef; 06-10-2024 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2024, 10:39 AM
Albertadiver's Avatar
Albertadiver Albertadiver is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,226
Default

I play around with several different tarps. From the Canadian tire special, to a few I've bought on camofire.com and some that came with my backpacking hammocks.

With all of the tarps I've used, I like the siltarp the best, as long as they have a bunch of tie-off points around the perimeter and usually along the midpoint and ridgeline.

There are a few Canadian manufacturers that have some pretty good lightweight versions. I do find that I've never complained about having too big of a tarp when in use, so for backpacking or sheep hunting I'd go with the largest that you feel ok with carrying.

Edit: Forgot to mention that one of my favorites has little pockets on each corner and at midpoints with about 10' of string already sowed into the tarp and it's pretty strong. I find it convenient to have these pre-built tiedown points.

If you don't mind a bit of crazy, a former AO member who was banned (rightfully so) had some neat tarp setups, but he was nuts (and militant) about his stove ideas.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=321267

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=86150

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=29857

Last edited by Albertadiver; 06-10-2024 at 10:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2024, 01:10 PM
calgarychef calgarychef is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I play around with several different tarps. From the Canadian tire special, to a few I've bought on camofire.com and some that came with my backpacking hammocks.

With all of the tarps I've used, I like the siltarp the best, as long as they have a bunch of tie-off points around the perimeter and usually along the midpoint and ridgeline.

There are a few Canadian manufacturers that have some pretty good lightweight versions. I do find that I've never complained about having too big of a tarp when in use, so for backpacking or sheep hunting I'd go with the largest that you feel ok with carrying.

Edit: Forgot to mention that one of my favorites has little pockets on each corner and at midpoints with about 10' of string already sowed into the tarp and it's pretty strong. I find it convenient to have these pre-built tiedown points.

If you don't mind a bit of crazy, a former AO member who was banned (rightfully so) had some neat tarp setups, but he was nuts (and militant) about his stove ideas.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=321267

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=86150

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=29857
I visited that dude and sat in his tarp tent. It was well thought out and his stoves burned very well indeedÖ. Crazy? Like a fox maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-10-2024, 03:55 PM
Bearbreath Bearbreath is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 633
Default

Been using the same siltarp 1 for years. Think itís 5x8. Two guys fit under in the rain or sun shade. Itís always in my pack. The 8x10 model would be nice too.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-10-2024, 04:06 PM
Stinky Buffalo's Avatar
Stinky Buffalo Stinky Buffalo is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A bit North o' Center...
Posts: 11,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Iíve got a good tarp sold by a Canadian company but I canít remember the name, it ďmightĒ be RAB They come in three weights and I got the middle weight, whatever that is. There are tarp forums and a tarp group on fb (of course). After watching the myriad of ways that folks set up tarps Iíve come to the conclusion that square is better than rectangle. That might be good to keep in mind when purchasing.

We set up a tarp for two of us to sleep under on a late season sheep hunt and it snowed over a foot that night I was very happy that Iíd used a small dead spruce as a ridge pole rather than a rope and some ďyĒ sticks to hold up that pole. Another trick is using a pebble and a slip knot to tie the tarp edges, that wonít pull out like grommets sometimes do and itís easy to untie.
CalgaryChef, was that the Lite Outdoors series of tarps by the folks out in Lethbridge? (https://www.liteoutdoors.com/) They are not made in Canada, though. Ownership and design is in Canada. That's the one I have and I like it a lot. Weighs almost nothing, including pegs and line. Only gripe I have is that the supplied seam sealer was old and I made a mess when I applied it.

There is also Aquaquest, which I believe is a Canadian-owned company - they have the different grades of durability available. (https://ca.aquaquestwaterproof.com/pages/explore-models)

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 06-10-2024 at 04:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-10-2024, 06:43 PM
calgarychef calgarychef is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
CalgaryChef, was that the Lite Outdoors series of tarps by the folks out in Lethbridge? (https://www.liteoutdoors.com/) They are not made in Canada, though. Ownership and design is in Canada. That's the one I have and I like it a lot. Weighs almost nothing, including pegs and line. Only gripe I have is that the supplied seam sealer was old and I made a mess when I applied it.

There is also Aquaquest, which I believe is a Canadian-owned company - they have the different grades of durability available. (https://ca.aquaquestwaterproof.com/pages/explore-models)
Iím pretty sure it was aqua quest. Iím happy with the product.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.