Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-16-2018, 05:31 PM

Default Lets see your Coyote hunting stands/setups

I've been trying my hand at hunting yote's for a few years now with some success and a lot of failures. Just curious what some of your stands and setup situations look like? Lets get this going to share some new ideas!
Also, don't be scared to show some selfies, also curious what kind of camo and cover the successful ones are using.

Pic#1
This setup was failure, hard to tell from the pic but I was setup on the edge of the canal shown on the left and a fence line with thick/tall grass behind me. My decoy was about 40yds to my right with a right to left cross wind.
Coyote came in directly under the sun, couldn't see him until he was close to 200 yards where he sat and stared at me. When I shouldered my rifle and looked down the scope this coyote was sitting directly in the glare of the sun off the snow, was unable to open my eye down the scope without basically staring straight at the sun. No shot taken. Lesson learnt.

Pic #2
This setup was successful, found this unique old rock sitting in the middle of a flat field. Over time water created a nice little depression around this rock.
When sitting against the rock, my shoulders were basically ground level to the surrounding fields. The rock also gave me cover to whats coming behind me and I was able to move and scan 360 degrees around me while I called. setup my decoy about 40yds off the rock. Coyote came in at my 8 o'clock, again the rock gave me some cover to move and adjust myself into a shooting position. Once settled I watched the coyote come into 100yds where he fell. Probably could have watched him walk right up to my decoy and **** on it but decided not to take my chances.

Pic #3
The results of the stand shown in pic#2, not the prettiest of coats on this mangy dog but the farmer whos land I was hunting was quite happy, as was I!

P.S. sorry, i couldnt get the photos to upload right side up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (26.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (37.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (71.9 KB, 59 views)