Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 PM
Banned

Default Permission Question?

So you want to ask for permission on a piece of land that is being rented. Do you ask the person that owns the land or the one who rents the land. The reason I ask is I asked the land owner and he’s ok with it, so then I ask the renter and he says no. What do you do?
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 PM

Renter is actually the tenant on the land so lawfully he has the say unless his contract with the landowner does not allow him to to interfere with hunting permission.

Does the renter still have crop out on it or animals still grazing there? If yes to either I would walk away.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:26 PM

Yeah though call on this one.

While technically speaking it would be determined by the lease agreement between the owner and the renter. Renter may not have rights to say no, or only under certain circumstances. ( much like a grazing lease.)

Best not to cause issues between the 2 parties. Keep that one in the back pocket for a later date and go find other ground.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:27 PM

Default Both

Technically the Regs say either works but the last thing you want is a po’d tenant or landowner confronting you. Been there, done that and it’s best to keep the cortisol out of the blood streams.

Last edited by Knotter; 11-15-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:59 AM

The tenant is the legal occupant, crop or cattle in field or not. While the landowner can give permission, the occupant also has every right to ask you to leave or allow access.

It is always best when asking a landowner if there is a renter and do you need to talk to the renter as well.

Further to that, if the property in question is within one mile of the home section of the renter, it is considered "occupied" under the Wildlife Act and you must have permission from the occupant which would be the tenant in this case.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:15 AM

My experience has been that once the crop is off, the owner is the person to ask. When there was a grain bag on the field I checked with the renter also.

As said above, you don't want to be between an owner and a renter.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:23 AM

It would come down to the actual rentall agreement, the renter may have control over the land all year, or the rental may only include the period where he has a crop or animals on the property. The landowner may even have included a clause giving him control over access for all but the renters actual farming activities.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:51 AM

Your the neighbours kid? You don’t need permission just go and make sure you drive Don’t worry about the gates You’ll be good to go
Old 11-16-2018, 07:19 AM

Best to talk to the owner first, and ask them if u should also contact renter. both of them may expect to be contacted but every situation is different . I rented some land once and in the written contract it said I could not give permission for people to hunt. On some land I currently rent the owner is a hunter also, if anyone asks me about it I will tell them to contact the owner and ask him, I don't expect to have a say in who goes there, but I just make hay on that land, if I had livestock or standing crop my opinion may be different.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:20 AM

A neighbour asked me to shoot beaver on his place one spring. He had an elderly couple renting the house. I figured i would stop and let the renters know that I would be driving into the field. When I stopped at the house and told them what I was doing they snapped and came un glued and called me every name theycould think of.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:42 AM

This a a big problem around here. One land owner has given me permission on a huge area of great hunting land. The land is rented until End of Oct. or until all cattle are off. According to land owner it says in lease that no one including the
renters are allowed to hunt while cattle are on.

The renter takes all of his cows out then leaves 2 skinny cows on the land for November. He hunts it and even 'rents' it to an outfitter but will kick anyone off (including the land owners son) stating that he still has cows on it.

It makes my blood boil but not wanting to cause any more stress for the land owner I just leave it be. Thinking that if any more drama comes from it all hunting access in the future will be no.

For the most part I like to ask both land owner and renter. Some land owners have long standing leases with renters and always say to talk to the renter so those ones I usually just check with the renter every year. For new land that I don't know the land owner well I will ask both.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
My experience has been that once the crop is off, the owner is the person to ask. When there was a grain bag on the field I checked with the renter also.

As said above, you don't want to be between an owner and a renter.
Just cuz the crop is off doesn`t mean the farmer doesn`t have a vested interest in the land anymore. He may want to do some fall work, not want ruts or compaction in the field, fire hazards or pathogens such as club root introduced etc. All of these can have impact on future agronomics which is certainly the farmers business.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=Pikebreath;3873097]Just cuz the crop is off doesn`t mean the farmer doesn`t have a vested interest in the land anymore. He may want to do some fall work, not want ruts or compaction in the field, fire hazards or pathogens such as club root introduced etc. All of these can have impact on future agronomics which is certainly the farmers business.[/QUOTE

Well said Pikebreath! Too bad some landlords don’t understand this as well.