Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 08:14 PM

I used to do it only for moose and loved it. Makes everything easier especially if you are by yourself which happened to me last year.

This year, I shot a couple of Antelopes in Wyoming and decided to give it a try on both since I couldn't drive close to where I had dropped them and had to walk a few klicks. Everything was fine and dandy until I got to do the tenderloins, I drew a blank and ended up making a mess...

Packing out those quartered goats was easy though!
Old 11-15-2018, 08:30 PM

I usually quarter and throw my animals in cooler(s). I've done gutless and don't see what problem it solves. It takes literally 2-3minutes longer to gut an animal. Cut off the flank, split the brisket cartilage cut around the bung hole and you're done.
Gutless you can still puncture the stomach while taking rear quarter/tenderloins if you're not careful as well.
I'm guessing gutless method folks are leaving ribs? Heart? Lots of beautiful meat you're missing out on. Full disclosure- I'll leave ribs on a long pack out....
Old 11-16-2018, 01:59 PM

I’ve been doing gutless for a number of years now.
Can’t think of a quicker or cleaner way of breaking down an animal.

I’m not sure why people assume that gutless leads to meat waste...
heart, liver, tenderloins and flank/rib meat all come home with me.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 11-16-2018, 02:39 PM

After your take the animal out there is no hanging of the meat you just package it right away after you get home?
Old 11-16-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post

If we can get animals home whole we do, if not we do this. Either way there is no need to waste anything.

LC
Old 11-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
After your take the animal out there is no hanging of the meat you just package it right away after you get home?
I do. I find little difference in most animals I have shot and aged in the cooler then ones that I have butchered and frozen right away. You can alway let roasts sit in the fridge for up to a week to age the meat.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:13 PM

You can hang the quarters no problem.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-16-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post

I still don't see how gutless solves anything. Sure you can gingerly pull rib meat out and dance around the ponch. The 3 minutes to pull guts makes that process a whole lot easier. And I've done both methods many many times. I butcher my own and have a good understanding of the process. Just can't wrap my head around gutless

Tone can be mistaken via text. I'm not challengingyou. More trying to understand. Is it the pool of blood people are trying to avoid? Just not sure...
Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 PM

Gutting big animals by yourself is a pain in the posterior.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-16-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Gutting big animals by yourself is a pain in the posterior.
The way my back felt last Saturday, two tiny mulies qualified as a pain in the rear. Darn is the meat ever good though. Never had such mild mulies as these.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I still don't see how gutless solves anything. Sure you can gingerly pull rib meat out and dance around the ponch. The 3 minutes to pull guts makes that process a whole lot easier. And I've done both methods many many times. I butcher my own and have a good understanding of the process. Just can't wrap my head around gutless

Solves dragging or carrying it wherever you have to go. Keeps things cleaner.

For those of us quadless peons.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
The way my back felt last Saturday, two tiny mulies qualified as a pain in the rear. Darn is the meat ever good though. Never had such mild mulies as these.
I prefer Mule Deer to whitetail. Most are really good.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-16-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Tone can be mistaken via text. I'm not challengingyou. More trying to understand. Is it the pool of blood people are trying to avoid? Just not sure...
I'll flip the question what does gutting solve?

For years I gutted them proceeded to "drumstick" quarter and pack out.
I can't think of one advantage for quartering other than getting out the tenderloins which is pretty easy to do gutless.
Rib meat doesn't really get close to the guts as ribs are all organs pre diaphragm. To retrieve the heat I cut 3 or 4 ribs at the end to access the organs.
Other than a bunch of cutting pulling and mess I dont see why you would gut.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:08 PM

We like getting them out whole because we like to age ours for around 2-3 weeks. Less surface area to dry out and easier to hang when the animal is whole or split into quarters. Both methods have their merits.

LC
Old 11-16-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I'll flip the question what does gutting solve?

For years I gutted them proceeded to "drumstick" quarter and pack out.
I can't think of one advantage for quartering other than getting out the tenderloins which is pretty easy to do gutless.
Rib meat doesn't really get close to the guts as ribs are all organs pre diaphragm. To retrieve the heat I cut 3 or 4 ribs at the end to access the organs.
Other than a bunch of cutting pulling and mess I dont see why you would gut.

There's a method to my madness. It works great for me. Might not work for others:
I always quarter my carcass. Why? So I can break it down and get it on a cooler. Then back home, it's a simple toss into my game fridge to age. Quick and easy. No huge carcass to tarp up in the back of my truck.... no carcass to hang in what is sometimes 25 deg September weather...
That's the other reason I quarter is to cool down the meat quickly. I'm pretty fussy with that after a bad experience with an off tasting antelope I had.

So, to establish this one fact- for me I always quarter. Quartering is a whole lot simpler when guts are out, organs are easier to retrieve...There's no fear of a busted ponch tainting any meat. I don't see the reason to gingerly cut around the head loin and feel your way in for a tenderloin when in literally 3 minutes I can alleviate that.
That's my reason. I can do both methods effectively but find the most efficient is gut removal.

I don't have blind allegiance to my ways. It works awesome for me and I don't mind dragging a gut pile a few yards away. Gutless is definitely a bit cleaner. That doesn't outweigh the speed/ ease of access for Moi. Obviously others feel otherwise
Old 11-16-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
We like getting them out whole because we like to age ours for around 2-3 weeks. Less surface area to dry out and easier to hang when the animal is whole or split into quarters. Both methods have their merits.

LC
I am guessing you have a large cooler to hang your loot?
Old 11-17-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I am guessing you have a large cooler to hang your loot?
Yup build a “walk-in” in the garage about 9 years ago, best thing we ever did. 9’x9’x5’ (HxLxW)

LC
Old 11-17-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yup build a “walk-in” in the garage about 9 years ago, best thing we ever did. 9’x9’x5’ (HxLxW)

LC
That's super neat. I'm guessing your buddies are glad to know you during hunting season too lol. Good idea.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
That's super neat. I'm guessing your buddies are glad to know you during hunting season too lol. Good idea.
It’s not huge but it works really well. A few guys from here have hung stuff in it when they were in a bind. The rule is if there is room...there is a spot, if we need room we need that spot

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=cooler

LC