Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 11:03 PM

Default Hunting in BC Compared to Alberta

Hello Everyone,

I moved to Calgary for University in September from BC and although I couldn't hunt here this fall I have been doing some research on Alberta and have a couple questions about the adjustment from hunting in BC.
1. I have noticed that (it seems like) most of the hunting here is done on private land. Is there much crown land here or do you recommend trying to find permission to maximize my chances of being successful?
2. If I do manage to get access to private land, what type of stuff should I know when I hunt on someones land? Obviously removing garbage and leaving the land in good condition is a given, but is there any other stuff I should be doing as a responsible user of someone else's land?
3. This one is subjective but how do you like the draw system in Alberta relative to BC? (If you don't know, there is no priority system in BC. Everyone has an equal chance every year of getting a draw)
4. Any other major differences I should know about in my transition to Alberta hunting?

Sorry about the overload of questions, but I am new to Alberta and want to learn from some of the experienced hunters here. Thanks for any help you can offer!
Old 11-16-2018, 06:58 AM

I made the same move as you only 12 years ago. I'll try to answer a few of your questions

1. Depends on where you hunt. Theres lots of crown land out west and little pockets of crown and Grazing Reserves across the prairies but yes theres a lot of hunting on private land. I'm not a fan of hunting private land (just feels weird to me ) but its just a reality if I want to have a couple spots close to home.

2. Just treat it like you own it. Pick up garbage don't leave big ruts or drive where you shouldn't. Close gates, respect land owners and remember its a privilege to be there not a right. I try to touch base with the land owners if I can through out the season so they see my face more than the day I showed up to ask for permission.

3.I like the point system out here better than LEH back home. Mainly because you can plan your seasons in advance. I can remember years back home where I was drawn for moose and elk the same year and its tough to get both those trips in. It may take a little longer to draw here but at least once you have some priority built you can plan your hunts.

I miss hunting back home. I was spoiled growing up logging and had access to thousands of acres of crown that I knew like the back of my hand. Vancouver Island has 3 times as many dirt roads as paved and chasing Blacktails is something I miss desperately. The bush always feels busy here and a lot of that is due to the fact that I don't have the time to get out to the really remote areas anymore.

Hunting the prairies is cool though. Seeing giant Mule deer and whitetail up close was the best part for me when I first came out here. Just remember to start building priority for EVERYTHING right away. Even if you don't think you are interested in hunting a species right now you may want to down the road so the $4 a year is a cheap investment in the future.

Hilgy
Old 11-16-2018, 09:33 AM

Hunting moose or elk more crown land than farm. Most deer hunting done on private land in Alberta. It is a big province.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 PM

1: the further away from the city, the better the landowners are. There are exceptions. If you want permission close to home, understand you might need to ask more than 100 different land owners before getting a yes. Or wake up early, drive out of town and get a yes most of the time. Sometimes I hunt private land, sometimes property lines are too much of a **** off. Depends on what you want to do. Crown land is great to wander but you won’t be hunting alone.

2. Leave nothing unsaid or assumed. Who, where, when, how, what they want done for game retrieval/guts. Lots have certain animals on their no-shoot list. Respect their wishes.

3: many more hunters with no increases in draw tags = long waits, less access due to fires and biosecurity concerns, crooked outfitters buying exclusive access, current government hates licensed hunting, lying bios.

Yeah you can plan ahead, for your 3 year mulie doe tag or 11 year moose tag. If you can get a draw in a zone with only a point or two, the hunting probably sucks or access is non existent. Example 353 moose or 300 a/b elk. You can’t “work hard” for these animals as they simply aren’t there.

4: generally speaking: whitetails are the most accessible. Mulies take more time and effort, usually a draw, usually on private land - have your plan/access in place before drawing. Elk are pressured hard and nearly nocturnal across the province. Moose are non existent anywhere the more equals can kill them. there are many more moose in the south than the north - opposite of what most people think.