Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-16-2018, 12:11 PM

Default The Uni-horned Bull Moose

Well, no story here of months of planning and days of hunting that culminated in shooting a monstrous bull moose. As luck would have it being in the right place at the right time is all it took. I could have pulled an early season bull moose draw this year but held off since I’m planning on having my buggy built for next year and wanted a tag for when it’s finished. I planned it so I was on the computer the morning that undersubscribed tags opened up and managed to get another late season bull moose tag for the Fort McMurray area.

Fast forward to a few days back and my hunting partner and I were a bit late getting into the spot I wanted to go to and we were beat out by other hunters. It’s a big area but not knowing where they were we didn’t want to disturb them so we moved on down the road a ways to walk into another area I hunt frequently as it’s also a decent area that holds both moose and Whitetail. We hadn’t made it far or even split up yet when this little guy jumped out of his bed and stopped at 125 yards to have a look at us. I had already decided that it being the late season and moose few and far between I would take any bull that presented itself. One shot to the side of the noggin from my little Rugger Stainless Compact Laminate in 7mm-08 and it was game over. The right antler wasn’t shot off and appears to have been missing for quite some time.

While not he biggest or prettiest, he’ll be great eating and there was zero meat wasted.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:23 PM

That's the one you want. My Brother seems to also have a knack for always taking Moose with non-typical or missing horns. Very cool!

Enjoy.. He'll be a good one!!
Old 11-16-2018, 12:27 PM

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2018, 12:29 PM

Nice Burgers!!!

My baby Bro and I once went back to the truck to read the regs on the definition of "Antlered", which is AN Antler, 4 inches long ...".

We then went back to the cut block to see that the moose was still there, with his one antler.

Drewski
Old 11-16-2018, 01:55 PM

Congrats on the bull. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build on your bush buggy.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:10 PM

Awesome, great way to start the day..1 moose down before you hardly got started to hunt... good for you! He does look a tad bit tasty by the way...
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Congrats on the bull. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build on your bush buggy.
Thanks. It’s been a slow process but it’s slowly moving forward. I’ll have to get around to updating the build thread at some point. Taking pictures then updating the thread is almost as much work as building the thing...
Old 11-16-2018, 05:18 PM

Congrats!

That's gonna taste real good.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:07 PM

Looks like no jet boat needed there. Ba BAM!
Old 11-17-2018, 09:22 AM

Usual reason for one antler is deer,elk or moose banged it on tree in summer when in velvet. It will usually grow back normal following year, except your moose will not get second chance. Well done hunt!
Old 11-17-2018, 09:23 AM

This needs a Euro mount.
Congrats on the bull!
Old 11-17-2018, 09:34 AM

Very cool. I shot a moose a few years ago that only had one antler. We called it our "Unicorn Bull".
It was obvious it had snapped off recently about 5" from the skull. Likely in combat. On the trail cams, we had a pic of the bruiser who likely was his sparring partner in that battle. Never saw that bull other than in one pic.