Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-26-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Lol, sorry man I don't remember all of the members and all that they do on here. My mistake!

I didn't ask how old you were but that seems to have relevance to the conversation....so how old are you?

LC
FYI, I'm pushing hard on 78 yrs. Not that it really matters no matter what relevance you might see.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
FYI, I'm pushing hard on 78 yrs. Not that it really matters no matter what relevance you might see.
That's awesome, I hope I can still get out and enjoy the fresh air when I get there. Heck I just hope to make it that far!

Have a great rest of your day! I truly mean that.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-26-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
I got yer 6 Lefty
I am one of the few. Heading out tomorrow eve with the Matrix.
I havnt picked up a rifle since September elk hunting myself as well, been hunting with the bow for trophy whitetails since.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
That's awesome, I hope I can still get out and enjoy the fresh when I get there. Heck I just hope to make it that far!

Have a great rest of your day! I truly mean that.

LC
Thanks Lefty. I've been very fortunate with my physical health and the continuing ability to enjoy my pursuits. For that I am grateful, as I know all too well, not everyone is that lucky.

Keep the pressure on and I'm sure you will get there as well. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:06 PM

Just picked up a crossbow this morning on sale at WSS. Got it dialed into 50 yards already. Headed out tomorrow for the strathcona season. I considered a muzzle loader or shotgun but I didn't have the time before Dec. 7 to make it to the range or experiment with different ammo.

Wish me luck!
Old 11-26-2016, 02:07 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
Everyone has the same opportunities as the next person so whats the argument about?
Well it started off as dedicated crossbow hunters then....all is good they made up

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-26-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Just picked up a crossbow this morning on sale at WSS. Got it dialed into 50 yards already. Headed out tomorrow for the strathcona season. I considered a muzzle loader or shotgun but I didn't have the time before Dec. 7 to make it to the range or experiment with different ammo.

Wish me luck!
Good luck man! Shoot straight. Hope you have some pics to share.

LC
Old 11-26-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:

Wish me luck!
Luck, heck we expect pictures!

Old 11-26-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Wish me luck!
Best of luck!! Shoot straight!
What crossbow did you get?
Old 11-26-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Best of luck!! Shoot straight!
What crossbow did you get?

Best of Luck. Excalibre, I hope lol
Old 11-26-2016, 06:04 PM

My post was in jest and given all the "Good Luck's" I have received in the last 2 hours, confirms Lefty's point.

Imagine if I came on here and stated I purchased a compound bow this morning and planned to go hunting tomorrow. How many of you would have wished me luck or alternatively (and rightfully so) tell me that hunting with a compound after 1 day of practice would be unethical.

Crossbows have a distinct advantage over a bow the same as a rifle has a distinct advantages over a crossbow. And archer's will get annoyed and defensive if told there is no difference.

But, the bow zone was created not for bow hunters, but for wildlife management in an area where the use of a rifle would be frowned upon due to the high density of population. I actually think that if the crossbow crowd focused on the capabilities of a crossbow and were honest about it's advantages and disadvantages, they could gain entry and acceptance in the archery season. Obviously with the amount of deer tags for archery that are available in the bow zone (7 including Strathcona), there must still be need for further population control.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
My post was in jest and given all the "Good Luck's" I have received in the last 2 hours, confirms Lefty's point.

Imagine if I came on here and stated I purchased a compound bow this morning and planned to go hunting tomorrow. How many of you would have wished me luck or alternatively (and rightfully so) tell me that hunting with a compound after 1 day of practice would be unethical.

Crossbows have a distinct advantage over a bow the same as a rifle has a distinct advantages over a crossbow. And archer's will get annoyed and defensive if told there is no difference.

But, the bow zone was created not for bow hunters, but for wildlife management in an area where the use of a rifle would be frowned upon due to the high density of population. I actually think that if the crossbow crowd focused on the capabilities of a crossbow and were honest about it's advantages and disadvantages, they could gain entry and acceptance in the archery season. Obviously with the amount of deer tags for archery that are available in the bow zone (7 including Strathcona), there must still be need for further population control.
Quite a coup man...setting us up like that. Good on Ya.
As to all the "good Lucks" you received while trying to prove some invalid points, why would anyone question your ability to use it when you indicated you had it dialed in at 50 yards? That alone would indicate you weren't a novice, wouldn't it ? Not hard to see that you are after that. Good Luck with your credibility.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Quite a coup man...setting us up like that. Good on Ya.
As to all the "good Lucks" you received while trying to prove some invalid points, why would anyone question your ability to use it when you indicated you had it dialed in at 50 yards? That alone would indicate you weren't a novice, wouldn't it ? Not hard to see that you are after that. Good Luck with your credibility.

My credibility is fine, it is your willful blindness that is in need of "Good Luck"
Old 11-26-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
My credibility is fine, it is your willful blindness that is in need of "Good Luck"

"none so blind as those who will not see " ..
Old 11-26-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
"none so blind as those who will not see " ..
Yes you are right, I could have said that as well.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:44 AM

Quote:
my post was in jest and given all the "good luck's" i have received in the last 2 hours, confirms lefty's point.

Imagine if i came on here and stated i purchased a compound bow this morning and planned to go hunting tomorrow. How many of you would have wished me luck or alternatively (and rightfully so) tell me that hunting with a compound after 1 day of practice would be unethical.

But, the bow zone was created not for bow hunters, but for wildlife management in an area where the use of a rifle would be frowned upon due to the high density of population. I actually think that if the crossbow crowd focused on the capabilities of a crossbow and were honest about it's advantages and disadvantages, they could gain entry and acceptance in the archery season. Obviously with the amount of deer tags for archery that are available in the bow zone (7 including strathcona), there must still be need for further population control.
bingo!!!!!
Old 11-27-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Agree, all bows have advantages and disadvantages.
Traditional is harder to get efficient quicker than a compound than a crossbow...

Old 11-27-2016, 08:55 AM

Agreed. My back up bow is a Hoyt Dorado and my range is reduced to 25 yards, where my Hoyt Spyder will get me out to 50.

Right now the bow zones are limited to archery gear that is drawn and HELD by muscle power. If the regs change the definition to include crossbows they will have to remove the "HELD" part.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Banned

Cool

Packing up the Excalibur Matrix 380 and the rest of my kit.
Headed over to the Okanagon to take in the Late Archery Season.
Here in BC, the use of crossbows during any archery season is allowed - no "disabled" label nor permit required.

Funny thing our harvest rates have not soared due to that as many would have you believe they should have. Even stranger, we often go days upon days without ever seeing another hunter...

Mulie Bucks are open, and we can collect up to two whitetails in the late archery season. Partner confirmed yesterday there are a few mulies about, and is out scouting whitetails today...

Loading the truck tomorrow, and making the wander.

Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 12-11-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Packing up the Excalibur Matrix 380 and the rest of my kit.
Headed over to the Okanagon to take in the Late Archery Season.
Here in BC, the use of crossbows during any archery season is allowed - no "disabled" label nor permit required.

Funny thing our harvest rates have not soared due to that as many would have you believe they should have. Even stranger, we often go days upon days without ever seeing another hunter...

Mulie Bucks are open, and we can collect up to two whitetails in the late archery season. Partner confirmed yesterday there are a few mulies about, and is out scouting whitetails today...

Loading the truck tomorrow, and making the wander.

Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog

So how was the trip?

Old 12-13-2016, 08:32 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So how was the trip?
Good.
Just home & Busy as a consequence.
Tale will come after I get caught up...

Cheers & Thanks for askin'...
Nog
Old 12-14-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Good.
Just home & Busy as a consequence.
Tale will come after I get caught up...

Cheers & Thanks for askin'...
Nog
Great look forward to some pics and a story or two

Old 12-14-2016, 05:07 PM

Default Amazon.ca...............great price on NAP FOC broadheads!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New Archery F.O.C. Crossbow 2 Blade 170 Grain Broadheads, Pack of 3

by New Archery Products
5.0 out of 5 stars
1 customer review

Price:
CDN$ 28.30 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 35.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New Archery F.O.C. Crossbow 2 Blade 170 Grain Broadheads, Pack of 3

by New Archery Products
5.0 out of 5 stars
1 customer review

Price:
CDN$ 28.30 & FREE Shipping on orders over CDN$ 35.
That sale was short-lived!!!! They are back to $42