Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-19-2011, 04:46 PM

Default Lake Chaparral info needed!

I know its a stocked inner city lake, but what works here. Me and a buddy are going out tomorrow probably from a canoe, and hoping to land a few. Advice greatly appreciated!!!

Lethal???
Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
I know its a stocked inner city lake, but what works here. Me and a buddy are going out tomorrow probably from a canoe, and hoping to land a few. Advice greatly appreciated!!!

Lethal???
I have heard from a number of friends there this year

The big thing you need to know is that the board of directors for that lake has forsaken fishing in favor of a $80,000 wall separating the sand from the grass and a massive upgrade to their kiddie park. As a result of the massive capital expenditures being paid for near term versus a more moderate planning term they haves drastically slashed stocking to such a low level that you are probably better off fishing Allen Bill pond. Compound that with high limits and an extremely lax policy on limits means a thriving over harvest scenario exists.

Good luck and I hope you get lucky. Try fishing deep with a size 16 black chironomid.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:34 PM

damn, maybe we should just meet you at your lake
Old 07-20-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
damn, maybe we should just meet you at your lake
It is important to try chap and see if what I have heard regarding bad fishing is true. If so you need all fishermen in that community emailing and phoning their displeasure.

The least they should of done is stock fingerling so something will be there to catch in a few years,
Old 07-20-2011, 02:03 PM

This one is from Lake Chaparral!! Unfortunately for you he is no longer in there because I ate him!!

We were about 1-2' off of the bottom using a tiny hook with a piece of shrimp from Safeway!
Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Is theis lake open to the public or is a membership required?
Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Default Finally someone who's been there!!!

Winger what is the depth like? Im not sure how to check depth, as we are going to take a canoe or peddle boat or whatever we can get out and fish from it.. I have some jig heads, and just regular hooks, was thinking about spinning a bit too maybe.

What size are the fish in there? range 6-15"?
Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 PM

Adamd,

you have to be a member of the community, or a guest of a member who can get you the boat.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 PM

We fished for about 3 hours that day and caught 3 fish. They ranged from 2, 3, & 10lbs! We were fishing in about 20 WOF. We put the shrimp on #12 bare hook about 1-2' off the bottom and left the rods alone. I got pretty lucky on that fish because he managed to get us tangled in another line we had down and the guys thought it was another fish on!

I was fishing with a guy that lives in Chaparral. The spot on the lake and the shrimp were his ideas. I just reeled the fish to the hole. Lucky me!! Biggest rainbow I have ever caught.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:57 PM
hunter49

I cant see the picture winger posted, am I the only one?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 PM

Default results

Well guys, i got skunked. I tried to shrimp idea, but no dice. 2 bites near the pathway dock on the west side of the lake, but thats it. My friend who lives there called the lake people who said it has been stocked 2x this season.. Saw 1 dead rainbow floating belly up (am i cursed, last 2x out i've found dead fish!!!).

tried a variety of things, from shrimp on the hook with a float, to spinners, to spoons to flys 4 ft under a float... nothing worked!

Frustrated....
Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
I cant see the picture winger posted, am I the only one?
I can't see it either...
Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Well guys, i got skunked. I tried to shrimp idea, but no dice. 2 bites near the pathway dock on the west side of the lake, but thats it. My friend who lives there called the lake people who said it has been stocked 2x this season.. Saw 1 dead rainbow floating belly up (am i cursed, last 2x out i've found dead fish!!!).

tried a variety of things, from shrimp on the hook with a float, to spinners, to spoons to flys 4 ft under a float... nothing worked!

Frustrated....
I would be curious about the stocking facts. I heard they only stocked 1/10 of what they should if they had half the limit they currently have. With the current level of fishing, limits and poor enforcement...I would be surprised any get caught. That being said they used to stock okay rates and without perch their they should get some survival and growth. Fishing deep is smart.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
I would be curious about the stocking facts. I heard they only stocked 1/10 of what they should if they had half the limit they currently have. With the current level of fishing, limits and poor enforcement...I would be surprised any get caught. That being said they used to stock okay rates and without perch their they should get some survival and growth. Fishing deep is smart.
yeah, I talked to a few people who live right on the lake, and they say there are still a few BIG rainbows to be had in the lake. A lot of the locals I guess enjoy c&r and keep those fat little pigs in the lake A couple kids who were fishing on the dock said they caught one that was 2ft last week, and a fat little one, forget the weight they said though! Anywho, going to PCR I think, so I can NOT get skunked
Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 AM

Brown bead head midges, bead head peince nympms and catatonic leaches.
\trust me they'll work! oh and chronies.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
yeah, I talked to a few people who live right on the lake, and they say there are still a few BIG rainbows to be had in the lake. A lot of the locals I guess enjoy c&r and keep those fat little pigs in the lake A couple kids who were fishing on the dock said they caught one that was 2ft last week, and a fat little one, forget the weight they said though! Anywho, going to PCR I think, so I can NOT get skunked

They are bigger that.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
I can't see it either...
Sorry, first picture.... Weird thing is that I see it when I go to this thread.

I'll try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 069.jpg (45.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 07-21-2011, 04:52 PM
hunter49

got it that time...nice big brooder
Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 PM

Nice bow. That was caught last winter. Lakes like Chap need to stock about $25,000 to $35,000 a year worth of trout at their limit and fishing pressure. I suspect they are stocking closer to $5,000 with if trout this year.

Unfortunately you are not going to catch many more of them until their stocking rates go up.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 AM

My buddy called the lake people, they say they've stocked twice this year. I'm thinking you are right with the 5k numbers... not a lot out there.. didn't even see any from the boat. Disappointed, and going to PCR like I said before.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
My buddy called the lake people, they say they've stocked twice this year. I'm thinking you are right with the 5k numbers... not a lot out there.. didn't even see any from the boat. Disappointed, and going to PCR like I said before.
Yup. Definitely not you fault you found the fishing poor. Unless enough complain and demand better balance..those on the board with small kids will control the priorities. Common sense says to Plan ahead to spend over time and therefore not ruin others users enjoyment.

IMHO
Old 07-23-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Yup. Definitely not you fault you found the fishing poor. Unless enough complain and demand better balance..those on the board with small kids will control the priorities. Common sense says to Plan ahead to spend over time and therefore not ruin others users enjoyment.

IMHO
x2