Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-23-2009, 09:46 AM

Default trolling plates

any feedback on trollamatic vs happy troller
i have 75 hp 17 ft aluminum trolls a little fast.
thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 AM

I have no experience with either of these models but I do have a fried that did have a homemade ( homemade yes but did not work or look homemade) one that did what it was purposed for.
My only complaint was listerning to the motor run + the smell of a two stroke when trolling.

My 2cents is go electric, once fitted with a proper electric motor for your boat you will swear by them. Cheap to run, no noise, no smoke, no smell and when it comes to trolling that is a good thing.

More money to set up but the +'s out weigh the -'s.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 AM

have to agree with jusfloatin electric is the way to go and there fairly cheap now you could get a 40-50 lb thrust for 200 bucks and you would have a spare motor if the main goes south sure there not fast but better then rowing
Old 09-23-2009, 11:52 AM

I installed a HappyTroller on my dads 25hp Evenrude (14' aluminum boat) two years ago and it didn't last the season. After the 5 or 6 days of moderate use, it would no longer latch in the down position. It did it's intended job of slowing us down but it didn't last. It ended up just flopping around behind the prop and hindered performance when we weren't using it.

While I agree with the electric comments I understand that it just isn't the way to go for each boat setup. I hate to put a product down but my recommendation is to look for something of better quality.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Default plate

we have used a happy troller plate on the 25hp 14ft lund. works great. but the noise,smell,and smoke is a pain. I now use a 30lb electric. I love it. never use the plate again. but the plate has work perfect for years
Old 09-23-2009, 03:03 PM

thanks i dont understand the smoke and fumes does it kick the exhaust back at the boat?
i dont know about the elect. some times i troll most of the day(i fish great lakes walleyand was told i was moving to fast)
Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaks View Post
thanks i dont understand the smoke and fumes does it kick the exhaust back at the boat?
i dont know about the elect. some times i troll most of the day(i fish great lakes walleyand was told i was moving to fast)
Maybe if your motor was a thru hub exhaust it could a bit more ( just a guess ) than if it wasn't but if you are trolling most of the day you must have smelled your exhaust at one point of time. The wind always seems to blow in the direction you dont want.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:26 AM

yes ive smell it some times thought maybe makes it worse i do have through hub exhaust. i tried drift sock and hated it hard to control boat .
happy troller has to be released before you takeoff i see me forgeting that and breaking it the other is spring loaded no releasing ill keep looking i have all winter.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:34 PM

No brainer,get the hydratroll from Cabelas, paid $99 US for mine, blows the trolling buddy out of the water hands down and 1/2 the price plus comes with the hyrdafoil built in.It definately will get you on plane faster,trolling buddy doesnt have one.Comes with a sheer pin made of brass,my advice, buy 3 extra to be safe.Dont waste your time with the trolling buddy, had one, brought it back once I seen the Cabelas one, the Cabelas model is 1000 times better and cheaper in price works out to be still half the price including the shipping
Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 PM

Sorry, the Happy Troller not the trolling Buddy
Old 09-24-2009, 06:13 PM

thanks tyee that looks and sounds better than the others i was thinkin about