Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-05-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer man View Post
I'm sorry but if some random person came up to me at the range and asked to use my shotgun for a few rounds, the answer would be a solid no. Just like I would not let a stranger shoot over my dogs.
And that is why we have choices , it is your choice.
Cat
Old 04-05-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer man View Post
I'm sorry but if some random person came up to me at the range and asked to use my shotgun for a few rounds, the answer would be a solid no. Just like I would not let a stranger shoot over my dogs.
At the four clubs that I have belonged to, a new person doesn't even have to ask, multiple members will offer the use of their shotguns for a few stations. If I know that a new person is coming out, I offer them the use of my SX-3. My SX-3 has likely fired 500 rounds in other people's hands. I typically shoot 28 gauge or 410 myself, so my primary skeet gun doesn't get loaned out. My first couple of rounds of skeet in the 1980s,were fired with an 1100 skeet, the next couple with a Citori skeet, loaned to me by club members. It's not like the shotgun is going anywhere, it is being used right in front of the owner.
Of course there are people that also feel as you do, but there are always a few of us regulars willing to help out a new shooter, by letting them try our shotguns. It's our way of promoting the sport, and attracting new club members.

Quote:
And that is why we have choices , it is your choice.
Cat
Exactly, your gun, your dog, your choice.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:05 PM

Well due to someone contaminating the sewage lagoon that borders our skeet/trap fields, the lagoon has to be dug out, and the sludge hauled away. With people and equipment working 24/7 from around the end of April through until about September, it won't be safe to shoot, so we will lose the use of our trap/skeet fields.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:18 PM

Oh man that really sucks! I was looking forward to coming out and trying it one of these weekends...
Old 04-10-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Oh man that really sucks! I was looking forward to coming out and trying it one of these weekends...
It certainly does suck, the company that dumped the contaminants gets to pay for the work, and we lose our range for about 6 months. We get to shoot for another 3-4 weeks, and then we are done until fall. I will likely shoot sporting clays twice per week this year, instead of just our weekly league.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:17 PM

We did have a big crowd out Sunday, including some potential new members. We are now waiting for notice from the city as to when the work will begin, we may have another 1-3 weeks to shoot before the shutdown.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:32 PM

Where do you guys shoot clays? I’m in Edmonton and would like to find a place with a decent set up. Need a lot of practice.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Where do you guys shoot clays? I’m in Edmonton and would like to find a place with a decent set up. Need a lot of practice.
I like Beaverhill Sporting Clays. I enjoy their Skeet field as well.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I run the skeet field at Camrose, unfortunately, we will be shutting down for most of the year, due to work happening adjoining our range. We hope to be operating again this fall. In the meantime, myself and others will be shooting at Beaverhill Sporting Clays. We shoot a league starting this Thursday into September. The Ducks Unlimited shoot is May 4, always a good time, but it usually sells out long in advance.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I like Beaverhill Sporting Clays. I enjoy their Skeet field as well.
Beaverhill is a nice facility, but way more expensive to shoot skeet.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:09 PM

Anyone know an approximate cost to go for the day? Cost per clay and cost per day? I’d probably bring my own ammo u less it’s cheaper than Walmart.

Maybe gets some tips on shooting. I used to be pretty good but have had some medical issues that has thrown my stance off.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
There's the Edmonton gun club over by the airport.
They have trap and (I think) 5 stand.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Anyone know an approximate cost to go for the day? Cost per clay and cost per day? I’d probably bring my own ammo u less it’s cheaper than Walmart.

Maybe gets some tips on shooting. I used to be pretty good but have had some medical issues that has thrown my stance off.
Beaverhill is $795 for a membership, and that includes
1000 targets. Extra targets are $500/1000.
Camrose is $150 per year, and $7 per 25 targets, but we will close from around the end of April/mid May until fall
this year, so unless you need the use of the other ranges at our facility, best to wait until next year. We do allow people interested in purchasing memberships to shoot as a guest , but with the upcoming outage, that is not an option right now. As far as shooting tips, we have some good shooters that will
help out if asked. Sporting Clays is far more challenging, and the most representative of actual bird hunting, but it costs about twice as much. Skeet is much more representative of bird hunting than trap, and the cost is
the same as trap at most clubs

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-16-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
There's the Edmonton gun club over by the airport.
They have trap and (I think) 5 stand.
They have added 5 stand, they are $250 per year, plus $9.50 per 25 targets for members. You can shoot there as a non member for $30/day plus $12.50 per 25 targets. Most of the people interested in competitive trap shoot there.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Beaverhill is a nice facility, but way more expensive to shoot skeet.
Agreed. It isn’t cheap. Logistically, if I’m going to shoot, it makes the most sense for me.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:17 PM

Thanks guys. Im off Friday maybe ill take a drive to check out these clubs.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. Im off Friday maybe ill take a drive to check out these clubs.
Edmonton Gun Club lists April 28 for their opening. If you aren't a member you need to call Beaverhill to make certain someone will be there. As for Camrose, we normally shoot Sunday afternoon and starting in late April, Thursday evenings as well, but again ,we won't be operating normal hours this year with the outage.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:37 PM

We had 50km winds today at skeet, that made for a real challenge with targets climbing or dropping several feet. Some high house targets hit the ground 20 feet in front of the low house. Nobody brought a 410 today, I shot a 28 gauge, and everyone else shot 12 gauge.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:42 PM

Tonight was proof that gun fit means more than price. The forecast was for rain, so I took my SX-3, the cheapest shotgun that I own. Since I was shooting a 12 gauge, I shot doubles, and managed to run 50 which I had never done before.