Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Default delete

Fished for lakers approx 6 hrs over two days. Caught 15 lakers, a couple of double headers and lost a few. Two around 8 to 10 #s, the rest smaller. Used silver & gold williams wobblers from 45 to 49 feet. Stayed at Pierce Lake Lodge campground & would do it again in a heartbeat. A very pretty area. Next year, God willing will do Pierce and Lac Des Isles for walleye.
Pierce lk 2011 008.jpg

Pierce lk 2011 001.jpg
Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 PM

Great work. How was the campground?

I have fished Lac Des Isles a couple of times in the winter - weird lake. I would find perfect walleye spots with structure, good depth and nice bottoms and see zip. Then limit on perch in 2 feet of water only to have a quality walleye hammer my perch rigging.

I would love to try Pierce though.

Cheers.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 PM

To me the campground is a real Saskatchewan scene complete with the old jackpine trees and I guess what I like the best is how handy everything is. You can leave your boat on shore, (no rocks), a good boat launch and your campsite is generally very close to the lake. You fish within 5 or 10 minutes of camp and if you want to go for a snooze or a burger you can go in and back out in no time. For lakers I like the fact that you can keep one under 65 cm and one over as the smaller ones certainly taste the best. I have only two complaints. 1) That the walleye are not easier to catch and 2) That I can't afford to buy the campground as it is for sale. What a place to live and work! Another plus is that the lake never seems to be busy, in fact yesterday for a good part of the day we were the only boat out. Seems weird and nice to enjoy the loons without any other noise around. Get out there if you can!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 PM

jUST RANDOM TROLLING OR TARGETING CERTAIN AREAS ?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:16 PM

We stayed at Pierce lake lodge 2 years ago for about 2 hours. We had never been there before but friends of ours go there every year. Got there and went straight to the office to pay as we had reserved our spots. Foolishly we payed for a week without checking out our campsites. It would of been a real challenge for a mountain goat to do much manovering in there. We asked if any other sites were available but they were booked up. Asked for a refund but all we got back was our camping fees which we had to spend in there store. We were happy to do that as I couldn't emagine staying there for a week. Went to the Provincial camp ground 6km away and had a great weeks holiday. That place has been for sale for years now. Not my idea of a place to camp but it seams to be very popular.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:20 PM

Right on, I am heading to cold lake and pierce this weekend, am hoping for some results.

Good fishing skidderman!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-17-2011, 01:30 PM

Coordinates are N54 29.707 W109 42.323

All of last years and this years were caught within a km or closer. No idea why but that is what worked for me.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:06 PM

Was going to try camping at Cold lake , but Pierce has a beach for the kids. Gotta at least try the downriggers and other equip I bought ! How was the availability of sites ?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:48 PM

Marked it on my Hds , innocent looking area. Sure are alot of humps i'd like to investigate.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Banned

One of my favorite lakes. Amazing beach in Howe bay at the resort for kids. Between the government campground and the private one you shouldn't have any issues getting a spot. Don't go if you're looking for big lakers. Favorite spot for me is trolling between the cold river and the government campground.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:31 PM

When we left yesterday the campground was almost empty. Probably best to book one night then extend it if you want. That way if you don't like it you can back out without losing too much. Lake has the itch so beware of that. Wife & I both went swimming & never got it. Lots of people swimming and tubing so the itch can't be a big concern.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:40 PM

Keep an eye out for bears. A sow and two cubs were in the campground night before last. They didn't seem to bother anything but good to keep an eye out anyway, especially with kids. Best to use the boat dock on the south side next to the fish cleaning house. The other one has scattered pieces of cement on the bottom, no worries about the boat but you could bend an axle.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Banned

I highly doubt that lake has the itch, way to big deep and cold. I can see lepine (attached to pierce) and hirtz having it though.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 PM

Hows the road construction going? About a month ago it was very slow going
Old 08-17-2011, 11:22 PM

Ripped up from AB border to Pierceland. Slow going. They have started to lay the top gravel but I suspect a long way to go yet. I wouldn't want to be on it if it gets a lot of rain.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:56 AM

There were lots of bears at Lac Des Isles in July too, but couldn' t get them interested in my kids , even with the bologna sandwiches in their pockets.