Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 PM

Default Scope power question

I've got a Savage Stevens in a .300 Win Mag, with a 3-9x by 40 Bushnell Elite 3200. The scope is mounted to the dovetail via weaver rings at the moment, and I am not really able to adjust it's position on the gun to allow for a little more eye relief. From standing or sitting, it's around 2.75", while in prone, it's under 2. My first time shooting it in prone, I got bit pretty good. I understand I am able to pick up a rail conversion for this to fix the problem.

However, I am also interested in picking up a higher powered scope just for target practice, but eventually for long range hunting, something capable of 300-400 yards. If I wanted to still have my lowest power on the scope similar to my current scope, what would you guys recommend? As far as the model goes, I'm totally happy with it's performance, but again, have not had an assortment of scopes to experiment with. I would say $400 is my price range?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 AM

I used to shoot to my 300 yard gong freehand with my rifles,scopes were all set on 4X. In my opinion you dont need more than 10x for the ranges mentioned and then you will need a solid rest. Magnification not only magnifies the target , it magnifies every breath pulse etc. that you make. But do find a scope mount that allows 3.5-4" of steady eye relief and practise to get rid of the flinch that you have probably developed. JMO
Old 12-02-2010, 07:35 AM

I'm a huge fan of magnification. Nothing improves accuracy than plenty of magnification and adjustable parralax.
I don't think there are many if any scopes that provide higher than a 3x magnification multipier in yuor price range. You may have to step up to a 4.5-14.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 AM
sheephunter

Yup, as people seem to get more serious about long range shooting, they also seem to get more serious about increased magnification. The idea is to aim small to miss small and the only way to do that is with higher magnification optics. As 209 pointed out, in your price range, it's going to be a challenge to find a scope with greater than a 3x magnification range. I'd also look at the 4.5-14 but you'll need to get your eye relief issue figured out first. With only 2" of eye relief, you must not even be seeing the complete sight window.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:01 AM

Are you using straight rings, I had to use extended rings on mine just to get my scope on, if you are using straight rings it might buy you a little more eye relief.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:52 AM

Ya, it's tricky to get a full view without some fidgeting. Id probably look to but a used scope, and sell my current one. (just listed it) Am not sure if the are extended rings or not.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 AM

For big game hunting out to 500 yards, I use 3-9 scopes myself. I won't go above 10x for big game hunting, because I won't have a scope above 10x without adjustable parallax, and I don't need or want adjustable parallax on a scope used for big game hunting. For longer range shooting at small varmints, or for target shooting,I prefer more magnification, as well as adjustable parallax. I put more emphasis on quality optics, consistant tracking , and mechanical reliability than on magnification.Where optics are concerned, it costs extra for higher quality, and for options like adjustable parallax, and more magnification, and I will choose quality and reliability above all other features.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 AM
sheephunter

You make it sound like it's one or the other elk...lots of scopes out there offer all of the attributes you cherish........Personally, I like it all and don't want to have to settle for only a few of those attributes but that's just me. Lots of scopes offer it all, at a fair price...
Old 12-02-2010, 10:40 AM

2" of eye relief on a 3200? Are you sure? Are you getting the full sight window? The Bushnell 3200 is not the best scope, but make no mistake, its a great scope for the money. Perhaps it may be a flaw in your form, maybe video tape your self shooting and look at your form prone v. your form off the bench.

I wouldn't switch from a 3200 for 300-400 yards.

Learn your ballistics and know your hold over and learn the read the wind.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
You make it sound like it's one or the other elk...lots of scopes out there offer all of the attributes you cherish........Personally, I like it all and don't want to have to settle for only a few of those attributes but that's just me. Lots of scopes offer it all, at a fair price...
There are several scopes that offer all of those attributes,but that drives up the cost, to levels that many people consider out of reach.As such, many people sacrifice one or the other to keep the price within their budget.If I can get a $3200 scope for $2500, or a $1200 scope for $700, I consider that a very good price. However,although you and I will pay $1000 or even $2000 or more for a scope, many people would in no way consider those prices to be affordable.