Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 PM

Default if you could...

If you could build one long range target or hunting rifle, what would it be?

I would like some suggestions so I can plan a build ( my first ever ).
I would like to know what action you would go with, barrel, trigger, scope, mounts, and stock.

I've got a good idea on what I want:

Remington 700 action with a jewel trigger

Krieger #9 barrel chambered in 338 win mag

mcmillan A-4 stock

with a leupold VX-III or Grey Bull precision scope

Sitting in Leupold MK 4 bases and rings.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be great
Old 12-01-2010, 02:40 PM

Come on guys you have to have some opinions
Old 12-01-2010, 04:49 PM

if you pick one, hunting or target, you will get more advice.
not that one gun can't do both jobs, this would be one area where cartridge and design are not 'moot' points.
what i have done to simplify my use of components is buy the reamer, and build 2 guns, one for the bench and one for the truck.
once you pick the distance you figure you will shoot too, you can start with cartridge selection.
from the way you are talking in build hard parts, i would grab a few extra overtime shifts as well, unless you are independantly wealthy and can do the work yourself, lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 PM

Ok, I would like to use this for hunting. ( work my way up in range of course ). I would like to be shooting to 700 or 800 yards accuratley.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 PM

It would end up looking alot like my ATRS 338edge... but I would change a few details.

I would start with a Stiller repeater action, 28" krieger barrel, straight taper with a 1" muzzle diameter, APS painkiller brake, Jewel trigger, ATRS bottom metal detachable mag, McMillan A5 stock with 3-way butplate. Near alpha mount and a 5.5-22 NXS with NP-1R retical. And a nice coating of dark earth cerakote on all the metal work including rings/bases/scope.

For the distance you are talking about I like a rifle that is fairly heavy, I find it is more stable and easier to get consistent accuracy at 600plus yards. My current edge is roughly 20 pounds, it is very stable but a tad heavy for field carry.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
It would end up looking alot like my ATRS 338edge... but I would change a few details.

I would start with a Stiller repeater action, 28" krieger barrel, straight taper with a 1" muzzle diameter, APS painkiller brake, Jewel trigger, ATRS bottom metal detachable mag, McMillan A5 stock with 3-way butplate. Near alpha mount and a 5.5-22 NXS with NP-1R retical. And a nice coating of dark earth cerakote on all the metal work including rings/bases/scope.

For the distance you are talking about I like a rifle that is fairly heavy, I find it is more stable and easier to get consistent accuracy at 600plus yards. My current edge is roughly 20 pounds, it is very stable but a tad heavy for field carry.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to shell out for that set up?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 PM

Default Hunting-target rifle

The only thing I would change from the components you've listed is the CALIBER. I would not use a magnum. I would look at 260, 7-08, 308 or 6.5X55 or 6.5-284. Any of these will shoot to 1000m and you won't be fighting the recoil issue.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b72471 View Post
The only thing I would change from the components you've listed is the CALIBER. I would not use a magnum. I would look at 260, 7-08, 308 or 6.5X55 or 6.5-284. Any of these will shoot to 1000m and you won't be fighting the recoil issue.
I forgot to add that I would most likely have a muzzle brake installed, BUT I would shoot it first and see as this rifle will be fairly heavy.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:53 PM

Check out the 260 Rem on Wikipedia. There is a lot of info regarding long range shooting of this cartridge. Not much recoil but very good ballistics down range.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM

I personally would go with an aftermaket action,such as a Surgeon or Stiller.I would add a Medium varmint countour barrel,and bed it into a Robertson Composites Intruder stock.I would likely chamber it in 7remmag,and I would not install a brake.For a scope,I would go with a S&B or Zeiss Diavari.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin xl7 View Post
If you could build one long range target or hunting rifle, what would it be?

I would like some suggestions so I can plan a build ( my first ever ).
I would like to know what action you would go with, barrel, trigger, scope, mounts, and stock.

I've got a good idea on what I want:

Remington 700 action with a jewel trigger

Krieger #9 barrel chambered in 338 win mag

mcmillan A-4 stock

with a leupold VX-III or Grey Bull precision scope

Sitting in Leupold MK 4 bases and rings.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be great
By "long range target" do you mean competition, or simply a range gun?
Also , do you paln on packing this rifle while hunting?

I have had a few long range guns built in the past, and several turned out to be excellent long range hunters/plinking guns.
The best would be my single shot falling block Brownings in 6.5WSM, both of which would shoot 5 shot groups regularly around 6" at 1,000 yards, and were light enough to pack around for a while.
Long rnage deer hunting was greeat with them as well.
however, if were going to build a long range competition gun - such as an Fclass gun, it would not be on a Browning action.
I have one on a Ruger, but it is in 308Win, and I would not use that as a lomg range cartridge, although it may work well.
Cat
Old 12-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Banned

Assuming your going to load your own.

Step 1. Figure out how many grains of lead meets your criteria for the big game you want to hunt.

Step 2. Figure out what diam. of bullets give the better bc's in that weight range.

Step 3. Figure out what case will push the bullets you want to run to the minimum impact velocity you want at 800 yrds at your elevation.

Step 4. Figure out your rifle build, from mild to wild. You can even shoot well at these distances with factory ammo and factory rifles with careful selections of rifle, optics and cartridge. Ie; a savage long range hunter in 300 win mag would make an excellent 800 yrder with a leupold scope and elevation knob on it....most likely to find several different 180 grain higher bc factory loads for it. You could start from scratch and come in under 2k and never have to get into reloading or send the rifle to a smith for anything (bedding/muzzle brake/trigger job/trueing etc....nothing needing done on the savage).

Just sayin

Or go hog wild custom build, good luck with the bazillions of choices and price ranges from rem 700 doner builds to custom actions/stocks etc.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 PM
waylow

Sako action, shillen or gailliard barrel, medium sporter weight, something in the 7mm class or 6 or 6.5 x 284, B&C stock, leupold, zeiss, swarovski in the 4-14, or 6-18 power range, timney trigger.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:23 PM

I would most likely just use this gun for my personal fun gun, and some hunting. The reason I want the 338 is for the big bullets,with the winds here in southern alberta thats a big factor. Thanks for all the advice guys!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:21 AM

I want to do the same thing. Build a gun capable of some long range accuracy... Thats not saying i am planning on shooting animals at ridiculous ranges, But I'd like something that I can learn to shoot long range, and then in the future after alot of practice, use in hunting areas where I can hunker down behind a bipod and take a poke at game past 400 with confidence. But before i do that I want to become a reloader. Id build on a Savage action though for myself, each thier own. There is a dude on CGN that builds some pretty nice Savages from the ground up.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I would most likely just use this gun for my personal fun gun, and some hunting. The reason I want the 338 is for the big bullets,with the winds here in southern alberta thats a big factor. Thanks for all the advice guys!
If wind is your concern,try the 140gr Berger out of a 260 or a 6.5x284.The high BC bullets were a major factor in my ordering my new pronghorn/coyote rifle in 260.