Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2009, 10:10 PM

Default what shell to use

I bought a 270 x bolt could anyone recommend a good round for it. Thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 12:02 AM

cheap to expensive... but a box of each of ones youd like totry shoot them and see which ones your gun likes best..
Old 08-16-2009, 01:19 AM

In the less expensive ammo, I've found the Federal Fusion works very well my .270 WSM's. Actually it shot better than the Winchester Supreme Accubonds I picked up for them. One thing about the WSM's though, is that Hornady doesn't load for them, and they're my favorite ammo manufacturer due to how well my other rifles shoot their product. I find their powder burns drastically cleaner than the blue box Federal I use during initial break-in and/or sighting-in new rifles or scopes, as I'm cleaning them every few rounds when I do that. The Premium Federal has proved no cleaner burning than the blue box. I also usually find Hornady ammo priced a bit better than the other premium lines, and I do consider it premium in the Interbond Light Magnum line. Their .30-06 SST shoots great for me, as does their .338 Win Mag.

I stopped through Bass Pro on Friday and saw they were now carrying Nosler Custom Ammunition. It wasn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but their brass goes through better prep than anything short of Lapua. Flash holes deburred, weight sorted and the like. I was curious, but my pocket book won't allow it right now. I was checking for some cheap break-in .243 and the Nosler was about $47.99 a box if I recall correctly!
Old 08-16-2009, 02:50 PM

You will have to try a variety of loads in your rifle and determine what your rifle prefers.

Take a look at your shooting requirements, choose a selection of possible likely good choices, hit the range and let the rifle tell you what it likes.

FWIW: there is no magic loading for any rifle, it may vary not only from make to make but even consecutively manufactred rifles of the same make often can show Jeckle and Hyde type tendancies with the same loadings.

Good luck

There are no absolutes
Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
In the less expensive ammo, I've found the Federal Fusion works very well
X2
Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 PM

x3 I like the 270win ammo in fusion. They sold out in wss in leth.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 AM

I don't have an x-bolt but I do have a Browning .270 A bolt, and it likes Hornady SP and Winchester XP3 the best. I shoot both in 150g.