Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-21-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Sheep hunters (the on foot kind) rifle choice

This is for the actual hardcore sheep hunters....
I have been wanting to start sheep hunting for the last few years - so I decided to build a rifle for it. My question for you regular, on foot, sheep hunters is which rifle would you prefer:

1) A shorter handier 308

2) A full sized 280

Both would weigh in under 5lbs before optics.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:12 PM

I go against the grain,in that I have carried the same 7mmstw on every one of my sheep hunts.It weighs about nine pounds fully rigged,but I never had issues carrying it,even on backpack hunts.That being said,if I decide to get back into sheep hunting(missed a few years for health reasons),I will be carrying my Cooper 280AI.If I was to build a gun strictly for sheep and goat hunting,it would likely be a lightweight rifle in 260 or 260AI.I would likely find a 700TI short action, add a 22 inch barrel,and stock it with a Mcmillan edge.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Default lw

I realy like ultralight rifles and have one in .308 win. it is an excellent little rifle that will pretty much take care of anything I am going to hunt.I do plan on building another light weight, and it will be chambered for the 7saum. just for something a little different. some others I have thought of in an ultralight for sheep hunting are:
.284 win.
6.5 rem.mag
260 AI
7-08AI
it all comes down to personal preference, I am not the least bit interested in an argument about what is the bestof the best. I like what I like, even if its not the best in someone elses opinion.I also like all of the WSM cals, but not in an ultralight.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks guys, I am not too worried about the caliber.

Elkhunter11, I know I could take my main hunting rifle, and it would do fine - but where is the fun in that?? Truth be told I think I like the project, more than I need a new rifle.

I guess I was wondering if a shorter handier say 38" OAL rifle is better suited for sheep hunting than a full sized rifle or does it not make a difference? I can build them both out to about the same weight so thats a non-issue.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:22 PM

To tell you the truth,I really don't find the super short rifles any advantage for mountain hunting,if anything,I don't shoot them as well if the barrel is too light.I like the balance to be more forward in my rifles,that is why I would go with a Ti action,and leave a little more weight in the barrel.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:23 PM

I shoot a 257bee in the Weatherby Ultralight. My first choice would have been this model in the 280rem but they don't make it in a lefty so 257 it was. Maybe have a look at them.....luv mine I believe the 280 comes in at 5 3/4lb's so it's pretty light.

tm

edit...sorry didn't read into it that it was for a build.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:35 PM

Default light

I have an HS Precision in 270WSM, as well as a Kimber 8400 in 300WSM, these are pretty light rifles, and were my go to rifles for sheep, this year I got the RMR Alpine exteme in .308 win. So far this year the others have not come out of the gun cabinet.This little rifle only weighs 4lbs. 11 oz. it barely sticks out above my pack , and is just so handy in the hand ,or on the shoulder, they are a little tougher to shoot, but like anything exteme, you have to give up something.Its not the right rifle for everybody, just something I wanted to try, and so far am vey impressed.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I shoot a 257bee in the Weatherby Ultralight. My first choice would have been this model in the 280rem but they don't make it in a lefty so 257 it was. Maybe have a look at them.....luv mine I believe the 280 comes in at 5 3/4lb's so it's pretty light.

tm

edit...sorry didn't read into it that it was for a build.
I have 2 Weatherby Ultralights one in 280, I was going to restock it with a proper laid up fiberglass, and it should lose 1/2 - 3/4lb in the process. That is my full size option.

The other option is another model 7 with a bunch of work done to it, and a new stock.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
...if anything,I don't shoot them as well if the barrel is too light.....
That is a concern of mine, aswell.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I have 2 Weatherby Ultralights one in 280,
You dog....livin' up to your handle

I like your "full" size option

tm
Old 11-21-2010, 07:11 PM

If I was doing it today I would follow this blueprint (bottom one) done by a friend. Mine would be in 260 Rem.

Rem 700 S/A CM in Graphite Black CeraKote
Lilja SS #2, 9 twist in 7-08Rem. Crowned at 22.5"
Blueprinted and rebarreled by Truman Wilson, Delta Co.
Fluted bolt by Twisted Barrel
Riflebasix Trigger LV-1 at 2.5lbs
SS Safety Lever, trigger, bolt stop/release and clips in KG GunKote for all weather protection.
GreTan Liteweight Firing pin
Gretan Alloy Shroud
Alloy Triggerguard from Bruno's SS
Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8X36 in Cerakoted DD lows
McMillan Hunters Edge Stock, brown paint, .5" Decelerator
Marine Tex bedding
6lbs, 14oz as pictured

-Billy Molls
Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
If I was doing it today I would follow this blueprint (bottom one) done by a friend. Mine would be in 260 Rem.
Nice rifle. Personally I like the model 7's more than the 700 shorts.... but thats me. I bought a new 700 short that I did some work to, but I just cant warm up to shorter 700's.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:23 PM

As a lefty, the 7's are not an option.

Who did the work to that SA 700?

-Billy Molls
Old 11-21-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
As a lefty, the 7's are not an option.

Who did the work to that SA 700?
me
Old 11-21-2010, 07:28 PM

It's probably unsafe!

Actually, nice work! If I need a bolt fluted I'm calling.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 PM

D.G.,take a good look at the wildcat 17 oz. stocks.i have put on everybodys stocks aand have yet to see them bettered for stiffness and shootability in a lightweight scenario.also having built several ultralightweight rifles in 280 ackley improved this cartridge performes impressively and still maintains shootability.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 PM

That action work looks very good.Since you already have the action, why not just buy a barrel and a stock and put it all together?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom gunworx View Post
D.G.,take a good look at the wildcat 17 oz. stocks.i have put on everybodys stocks aand have yet to see them bettered for stiffness and shootability in a lightweight scenario.also having built several ultralightweight rifles in 280 ackley improved this cartridge performes impressively and still maintains shootability.
I have used 4 of them so far, and like them aswell.... but for this build I think I may try a lonewolf.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
That action work looks very good.Since you already have the action, why not just buy a barrel and a stock and put it all together?
I thought I might, but after handling a model 7 I am helping my brother with the 700 shorts just dont do it for me. I know I know....
Old 11-21-2010, 07:44 PM

I don't have a model 7 any more,but how long is the magazine compared to a 700 short action magazine?I found the model 7 magazine quite limiting as to COL.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I don't have a model 7 any more,but how long is the magazine compared to a 700 short action magazine?I found the model 7 magazine quite limiting as to COL.
They're the same as the 700 shorts. My last one was a 25-284 - it was getting pretty tight.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:32 PM
sheephunter

Not sure I'd want to shoot a sub 5 pound rifle but as for your two choices....both are very suitable.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Not sure I'd want to shoot a sub 5 pound rifle but as for your two choices....both are very suitable.
That doesnt make it easier to make up my mind.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
LOL...both are good choices that will end in the same result...a dead sheep. For me personally, I've tried some super lightweight rifles and they just don't seem to mesh with my shooting style. The latest rifle I had built was right at 6 pounds...by my choice. Just get a 270WSM and all your problems will be over

Truthfully, after building a rifle on a custom action, I'd don't think I'd ever go the donor action route again.

Last edited by sheephunter; 11-22-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
It's not supposed to be easy.

You are supposed to compare several options,look at the advantages and disadvantages of each,eventually choose one,build it,then decide it wasn't what you really wanted.

Then you compare some more options, look at the advantages and disadvantages of each,eventually choose one,and build it.As you have likely figured out by now,it never ends for some of us,because we like trying new things,just for the sake of trying them.

My own perfect sheep rifle would likely weigh around seven pounds scoped,because I shoot slightly muzzle heavy guns better than guns with pencil barrels,and I won't compromise optics to save a few ounces.You have to decide what type of gun that you shoot best,and how much weight you want to carry.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

i wonder if a guy could push 105 bergers to say 2900 fps out of a 6 dasher on a 24" barrel? that would be a fun shooting little rig that could still stay above 2000 fps to past 600 yrds, and in 4.5 lb gun only it would still be a *****cat to shoot, be great to play on anything deer size on down to coyote calling etc.,

i'm just initially thinking about it as my .243 build for the same 105's i was just informed might not fit in short action mags for the rem 7 build i was thinking so now thinking the dasher might work but not sure what barrel length would work best to keep decent velocity in the dasher and not be too long for the ultralight build?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
i wonder if a guy could push 105 bergers to say 2900 fps out of a 6 dasher on a 24" barrel? that would be a fun shooting little rig that could still stay above 2000 fps to past 600 yrds, and in 4.5 lb gun only it would still be a *****cat to shoot, be great to play on anything deer size on down to coyote calling etc.,
Bullets with high B.C.s is one reason,that I would go with a 260Rem.Recoil would still be reasonable with a light gun.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Bullets with high B.C.s is one reason,that I would go with a 260Rem.Recoil would still be reasonable with a light gun.
What advantage would the high BC in a 260 offer within practical sheep hunting ranges...say sub 800 yards? There's a lot of talk on this board about the importance of high BC but I don't see it when comparing cartridges in the 6mm to 30 cal range. Much ado about nothing I'd say. All the cartridges have high BC bullet offerings within their calibre and at sub 800 yards, I can't see a difference....in fact, for wind drift, I'd say a heavy, larger calibre would be preferable. Enlighten me. I can see lots of reasons to own a 260 but the high BC is not at the top of the list.

Last edited by sheephunter; 11-22-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Banned

did a little investigating, sounds like the 6-dasher would work for my build idea, won't be the 7-800 yrd rig but it will be a 600 yrd plus over achiever thats as fun to shoot as a .223, friend says his lapua case life is awesome, can wear a barrel out on 50-100 brass i think is what he said?, and his was built on a rem with detach mag and Henry has it all functioning great so i think i'm settled on the dasher build for my lightweight over-achiever

i've shot his in a varmint build and 28" tube and its just plain fun in a heavier 'coyote' truck type gun, last time we shot it three different shooters lined up on the 500m gong and we printed a 3"-ish 3 shot group for fun...

and talk about unique factor!...around the campfire....'you shoot a what?'
Old 11-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
What advantage would the high BC in a 260 offer within practical sheep hunting ranges...say sub 800 yards? There's a lot of talk on this board about the importance of high BC but I don't see it when comparing cartridges in the 6mm to 30 cal range. Much ado about nothing I'd say. All the cartridges have high BC bullet offerings within their calibre and at sub 800 yards, I can't see a difference..
Wind drift is my main concern,since it can't be measured all the way to the target.Comparing two 140gr Berger vlds(.264" and .277"),both 140gr,and both launched at 3000fps to keep recoil comparable.Wind drift is 10mph for both.

.264" wind drift at 500 yards 14.6" at 800 yards 40.9"

.270" wind drift at 500 yards 18.7" at 800 yards 54"

To me it appears that there is a difference.The less wind drift there is,the less critical wind estimation becomes.

Quote:
I'd say a heavy, larger calibre would be preferable.
Sure a heavy large caliber would do better in the wind,but if you remember the original posters criteria,it included a max weight without scope of under 5 pounds.I for one don't want to shoot a heavy, larger caliber out of such a light rifle,and I won't have a muzzle brake.In fact,I wouldn't even want to shoot a 5lb 270win,let alone a 5lb magnum rifle.
I would choose the 260 as a cartridge that shoots reasonably flat,does quite well in the wind,and still has a very reasonable recoil in a very light rifle.