Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Default New to Hunting Questions

Hey guys, I am just working into getting my PAL and I have learned a lot from this forum and other sources. I am hoping someone can shed some light on this for me...

Cartridge and bullet size? Looking at the cartridge physically a 30-06 Sringfield is larger than a .308 but looking at ballistics tables the .308 has a longer range and the .300 WIN Mag takes the cake over the three. I want the best "bang" for my buck when I purchase my first bolt action. of course the grain will make a difference but the subject in general is a little confusing to anyone brought up using straight metric.

Lastly which actually has a larger diameter bullet?

Thanks guys, please dont jusge for the ignorance
Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 PM

The diameters of the three listed are all the same .308 . What will you primarily be using this rifle for? And what ranges would you like to be shooting? Have you shot much before?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:11 PM
sheephunter

308, 30-06 and 300WM all use the same bullet, it's the case that is different. Basically cartridge refers to the 308, 30-06, 300WM part and calibre is simply the diameter of the bore/bullet.

This is one of those debates that could rage on forever but you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with any of these cartridges but for a first rifle, the 308 or 30-06 would be great choices. Not sure where you read that the 308 has longer range. With typical loads, the 30-06 actually slightly outperforms it but in a hunting situation, the advantage would be negligible. The 300WM definitely outperforms them both but you pay for that performance with recoil. Personally, I'd say the 30-06 is hard to beat for a first all-round rifle from the choices you've offered. I'll also throw in a plug for the 7mm Remington Magnum. It basically offers 30-06 performance with a slightly smaller diameter bullet that offers up a bit of a long-range advantage plus it typically shoots lighter weight bullets better, giving you a wider choice of bullet weights to choose from over the 30-06. That's my 2 cents...I'm sure others will have different opinions.

Last edited by sheephunter; 12-01-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:16 PM

best thing to do (IF POSSABLE) is get a few friends together that may own all the calibers you mentioned, and maybe a few more, then go out to the range , or a safe area,(freinds farm) where you can shoot , and try each of them, choose the one that best suits you , ( the one that you can shoot and handle the best)
Old 12-01-2010, 05:46 PM

If you are in Edmonton, I offer to take you to shoot all 3. My treat.