Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 10:58 AM

Default Brakes & Rotors

Got a 2019 F150 with 110km on it and time for new brakes and will likely swap the rotors at the same time.

Curious what folks are going with. OEM replacement is $1200, which is crazy high.

Was thinking of going with raybestos element3 from rockauto
Old 02-25-2024, 11:32 AM

If the factory lasted 110,000 I would pony up $1200 and go another 110,000. Or is this a second set already? I usually get two sets of front brakes to a set of rear brakes. Also, unless you ran your pads to destruction, do you really need to change the rotors too?

Ask your ford dealer for a discount, they likely knock off 10% minimum even if you can’t attach to a corporate account.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:35 AM

I’ve bought my last 3 sets of brake components from Rock Auto, I like the choices they offer, you can usually fins a good price point or the price/quality split you want. Think my last two sets were both Powerstop brand. I always change rotors, it’s less hassle than getting them turned & the extra mass is better for absorbing heat.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:05 PM

Default Rock Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I’ve bought my last 3 sets of brake components from Rock Auto, I like the choices they offer, you can usually fins a good price point or the price/quality split you want. Think my last two sets were both Powerstop brand. I always change rotors, it’s less hassle than getting them turned & the extra mass is better for absorbing heat.
2nd to Cabertosser’s post. For my daily driver (Sedan) cheapies from Cambodian Tire or the local parts shops for 4 rotors and front & rear pads was about $850 + Gouge and Screw tax. Rock Auto, for Powerstop Z23 ceramic was less than $475 tax and freight included Cdn delivered to my door. I’ve used Powerstop for years including on my ‘Vette, they’re hard to beat for both stopping power and long life. And they’re not a big dust generator.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:13 PM

My 2013 diesel one ton with 330k still has the original rotors on it but I had the brake pads replaced around 200k. I would stick with oem parts.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:13 PM

You can get good quality brakes from Rock Auto for a lot cheaper than from the dealership. If you're keeping the truck, I'd suggest good quality parts. I used the ac Delco gold series on my Silverado. I believe they were $1000-1500 range. The truck is a 2014 and I expect these to last for years. If you do go with Rock Auto, I have a 5% discount code.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis View Post
2nd to Cabertosser’s post. For my daily driver (Sedan) cheapies from Cambodian Tire or the local parts shops for 4 rotors and front & rear pads was about $850 + Gouge and Screw tax. Rock Auto, for Powerstop Z23 ceramic was less than $475 tax and freight included Cdn delivered to my door. I’ve used Powerstop for years including on my ‘Vette, they’re hard to beat for both stopping power and long life. And they’re not a big dust generator.
What are you guys paying for shipping from Rock Auto? Even when I look to have parts shipped to my daughter in Spruce Grove, the shipping costs seem really high.

Am I missing something?
Old 02-25-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
What are you guys paying for shipping from Rock Auto? Even when I look to have parts shipped to my daughter in Spruce Grove, the shipping costs seem really high.

Am I missing something?
Depends what you buy. The rotors and pads were $140 for shipping, but still cheaper than what you could get them for from partsavatar.

You have to make sure whatever you order is coming from the same warehouse. If its isn’t you get multiple shipping charges.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Am I missing something?

Check the details that RockAuto shows about what warehouse the parts ship from, sometimes you might compile an order that's from multiple distribution centers; changing a part or two to ones from the same distribution center as the bulk of the order may help reduce shipping costs. Of course, rotors/drums will weigh the most, so if you can select some from a closer warehouse that helps.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
My 2013 diesel one ton with 330k still has the original rotors on it but I had the brake pads replaced around 200k. I would stick with oem parts.
I had ten f350's in my life ,at 80 to 100k rotors out ,new ones in,brakes also . Some could have went longer ,but liability is on me to maintain my stopping system.

I seen a guy get rear ended when his rotor broke, caliper snapped the bolts jammed inside the wheel well,all four brakes lock and got cranked in the arrs by another truck. All were hurt badly .

It's a crime not to maintain your front end ,if they safety the truck after an accident an things were not maintained kiss your butt goodnight.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:24 PM

I use Rock alot a lot but shipping has gone up a lot in the last couple of years. Because of that I always check prices at Parts King because they are in west Edmonton and I can pick the parts up. Between exchange and shipping, Parts King is now, often, substantially cheaper and or I don't have to wait on delivery.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Check the details that RockAuto shows about what warehouse the parts ship from, sometimes you might compile an order that's from multiple distribution centers; changing a part or two to ones from the same distribution center as the bulk of the order may help reduce shipping costs. Of course, rotors/drums will weigh the most, so if you can select some from a closer warehouse that helps.
That's good info, I wouldn't of thought of that. THanks
Old 02-25-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I use Rock alot a lot but shipping has gone up a lot in the last couple of years. Because of that I always check prices at Parts King because they are in west Edmonton and I can pick the parts up. Between exchange and shipping, Parts King is now, often, substantially cheaper and or I don't have to wait on delivery.
I find talking to a Partsman saves a lot of headaches. I like avoiding headaches. But my local store's prices are just too high..
Old 02-25-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I had ten f350's in my life ,at 80 to 100k rotors out ,new ones in,brakes also . Some could have went longer ,but liability is on me to maintain my stopping system.

I seen a guy get rear ended when his rotor broke, caliper snapped the bolts jammed inside the wheel well,all four brakes lock and got cranked in the arrs by another truck. All were hurt badly .

It's a crime not to maintain your front end ,if they safety the truck after an accident an things were not maintained kiss your butt goodnight.
Rotors have a spec and rarely have I seen a rotor outside of spec after one set of pads. Replacing rotors may give you peace of mind but is likely a waste of money. Mind you heavy gravel ise can take out rotors too, so I mean there is no true rule there.

What you describe wasn’t a rotor failure though, do you change caliper mounts and hardware each set of pads too?
Old 02-25-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I find talking to a Partsman saves a lot of headaches. I like avoiding headaches. But my local store's prices are just too high..
Parts King is a vendor of parts like Napa and Rock Auto. Like Rock Autoyou have to be sure of exactly what u are ordering but they have a very good online system to work with.

https://www.partsking.ca/wheelcylind...oaAsD7EALw_wcB
Old 02-25-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
That’s what I was thinking. Never changed a set of brakes that early, most would still have 60% life left.
7 gm trucks in the last 12 years and never replaced 1 set of brakes.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateLifeCrisis View Post
Running the power stop on my truck also, Z36 kit. Rockauto wasn't a huge saving, maybe saved about $150 from buying the parts local. Nobody would price match so I just bought off of Rockauto. Dealer wanted close to $5K to do the brakes and rotors, I did it for under $2k including replacing a caliper and flush. The brakes are really good though. Factory brakes were ok. Wagner brakes were good, but didn't last that long. So far the Powerstop is the best

Last edited by mayuan; 02-25-2024 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post

I would say that’s a Ford problem on trucks older than 2011, Ford upped the size of the rotors and hubs in 2011 to keep pace with GM.

Rockauto has a good selection of brakes, just stay away from the economy line.
Match to what you have, ceramic? Coated rotors ?
Compare prices locally, I would bet Rockauto has the best price.

Last fall I replaced my pads, rotors on my 2011 3500

AC Delco gold from rockauto 1000$

GM local c/w discount for the same 1450$

GM OEM over 2000$ no stock available

1st set brake pads @ 325km
2nd set brake pads/ new rotors @ 612km

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2024, 04:33 PM

If you didn't run your pads down to the metal, at 110 km you should not need rotors. My old 03 gmc service truck 2500 had 230000. km on it when I did the pads only. And just under 400000. when i did rotors and pads.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:48 AM

Keep in mind, if you have to return any parts back to Rockauto, you will have to pay for shipping. I always check and price compare on Amazon...free shipping usually and free to ship back if you ordered the wrong parts for some reason.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:21 PM

Check out partsavatar.ca I have ordered lots of parts from this site. They are in Edmonton... and pricing is very close to Rock Auto and some cases even better. ..and lower freight costs. I ordered my last of pads and rotors from parts avatar.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:27 AM

Bought a few things out of Rock auto, but, when I compared brakes and rotors and hdwe for my Taco, to what I could buy it for up here, because of the freight and exchange, it wasn't worth it, freight they quoted was ridiculous, more than the parts, in US dollars yet. Most of the places I checked in Cda couldn't supply everything in one shot anyway, ended up going to Toyota, as they had everything, may have cost me 100.00 extra from quoted prices in Cda without any frt added to them. Spent 1100.00 approx on the whole job incl labour.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:03 AM

Why would you put new rotors on? 110k is hardly enough mileage for brake pads let alone rotors
Old 02-27-2024, 06:29 AM

Unless the rotors are warped, or badly scored why replace them? I didn't replace the pads on my last truck until 160k, and the rotors were fine.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:44 AM

It's not how far you drive but how hard you brake and the conditions you subject your brakes to that determines how long they last. These engine braking turbos sure help and need to be used to keep them clean as well.
Late in life a dealership started cleaning and lubricating my pads and calipers as part of the service with the proper lube. Makes them last a long, long time. Now I have the time to do it myself when rotating the tires in the spring.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Do you ever stop 🛑.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:56 AM

Taco was 14yrs, 299K when I did brakes, that's why I did rotors, didn't owe me anything, still has original shocks and calipers on it. Have to do emerg brake cables if they ever show up, cat converter will have to be done this yr, leaking.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:00 AM

I don’t drive like an idiot and hammer on the brakes at the few seconds before I want to stop. With all that liquid salt that is being used on the roads, I also have my brakes serviced at the dealership every fall. Don’t mind paying the small amount to avoid replacing the rotors and also being able to stop when needed.