Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
At no point did I post that I would not choose to carry a handgun, if it was legal to do so. However, my choice of handgun would not be a 45Acp , I would be carrying at minimum a 44 mag , and more likely my 454 Casull, because if I am going to trust a handgun to protect my life, it is going to be a suitable handgun. However, I would not carry a handgun illegally , with me while bowhunting. If I felt that I really needed a firearm to feel safe, and my only legal option waa a non restricted firearm, I would be carrying my short barreled 45-70. If I didn't feel that was adequate, I wouldn' be bowhuning. As to calling me an idiot, I am not the one that chose to illegally carry a 45acp, and that was mauled as a result.
I would rather have 4,5 or maybe even 6 .45 holes pumping blood out than one from a 454.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 AM

So the bear saw his 45 and said "hey, you can't carry that here! I'm going to beat the crap outta you!"?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
At no point did I post that I would not choose to carry a handgun, if it was legal to do so. However, my choice of handgun would not be a 45Acp , I would be carrying at minimum a 44 mag , and more likely my 454 Casull, because if I am going to trust a handgun to protect my life, it is going to be a suitable handgun. However, I would not carry a handgun illegally , with me while bowhunting. If I felt that I really needed a firearm to feel safe, and my only legal option waa a non restricted firearm, I would be carrying my short barreled 45-70. If I didn't feel that was adequate, I wouldn' be bowhuning. As to calling me an idiot, I am not the one that chose to illegally carry a 45acp, and that was mauled as a result.

Yes Matt, there is a new sheriff in town, Officer Grizzly.

Elkhunter11,
What is the purpose of your argument?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunman View Post
I would rather have 4,5 or maybe even 6 .45 holes pumping blood out than one from a 454.
I would use a cartridge that has a much better chance of disabling the bear, and stopping the attack with the first shot, since it may be the only shot you get.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by argobenny View Post
Well it's me... check out my previous threads. i was ****ting my pants as the mother grizzly ran past. my defensive training first and for most is to allow the treat to pass. the worst i seen on my trail cam was a pack of wolves that had taken down a calf moose. i, as do most hunters with any type of integrity, respect the grizzly and would never ever provoke an encounter. here i am ask away and hopefully all will learn, as well as myself, signed, Robert Bennett, (argobenny)
Hey Robert nice to see you on here I'm really glad you made it outta your ordeal! Can I ask if all your shots on the bear were to her body?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Hunter View Post
Hey Robert nice to see you on here I'm really glad you made it outta your ordeal! Can I ask if all your shots on the bear were to her body?
as far as i am told by Fish and Feathers, 12 entrance and exit wounds all body but one still in the skull. and thanks.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
Good on you for stepping in, i agree with your statements, try shooting/cycling a long gun with a bear on you..... Not gonna happen. Can you comment on what the wardens said about you having a pistol ? I am in total support of your reasoning and actions
Wardens said they needed to do something because of political pressure and internet blogs where beating them up. had to do something so they had the rc's destroy the gun. no charges which i thank all for having some common sense. not sure if our politicians will ever realize that we, Canadians, are just as safe and smart, maybe more, than the southern states residents that can carry.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I would use a cartridge that has a much better chance of disabling the bear, and stopping the attack with the first shot, since it may be the only shot you get.
And I would only walk into a knife fight with a blade longer than 3 inches, but if a 3 inch blade is all i have have, well thats what im using!