And x2
Old 11-29-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Fixed it for you.

And x2
Talking moose thanks coreya3212.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:33 PM

I was against the talking moose thing and I cannot believe it grew on me... but there it is.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:37 PM

Default land now posted

have 3000 acres near Barrhead, this season was the worst ever for trespassing. Decided we have had enough and posted it all. Now I spend a bunch of time catching them and getting plates and reporting them. Some flee, others stop and chat, some even get permission after we talk.

I have deer carcases everywhere, and one tree stand got stolen in early season.

I shouldn't be able to go for a walk on my property and see things like this. Where the cape is and where it got shot exactly are still a mystery to me, but this was almost dead smack in the middle of a section, so this carcass is surrounded by 640 acres of private land. Found at 830am, must have been shot the night before as the coyotes hadn't gotten to it yet.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefloormat View Post
have 3000 acres near Barrhead, this season was the worst ever for trespassing. Decided we have had enough and posted it all. Now I spend a bunch of time catching them and getting plates and reporting them. Some flee, others stop and chat, some even get permission after we talk.

I have deer carcases everywhere, and one tree stand got stolen in early season.

I shouldn't be able to go for a walk on my property and see things like this. Where the cape is and where it got shot exactly are still a mystery to me, but this was almost dead smack in the middle of a section, so this carcass is surrounded by 640 acres of private land. Found at 830am, must have been shot the night before as the coyotes hadn't gotten to it yet.

Looks like butcher scraps to me....

But in the middle of your property? That's ballsy....

How are you making out with charging people, what's the process.... What are the outcomes.... How are the authorities responses, and such?

There are no absolutes
Old 11-30-2014, 07:11 PM

So most of the time fish and game makes contact, but rarely do they do more than have a serious conversation and inform them that a file has been created. There are only 3 guys that have been charged, those guys were stuck in the field, two in the mud in early season as I ran the disc around the perimeter a few times to give about 50' of soft dirt to absorb a truck if it was wet. One was stuck in the snow. All three of these guys were contacted directly by f&g and I was told they were being charged with trespassing. It's my understanding that just means a decent fine and now your on their radar.

I'd still say it's a deterrent, more than anything.

Whenever I've spoken to f&g too, I let them know that I park equipment all over the place, as it's not feasible to have it stored all in my yard. So when they speak to these guys they usually make a mention of more severe punishments, and advise them to stay clear of the area.

One year I had 3 machines parked in a field, about 10 years ago, and caught someone out there driving around. I was younger and really had it out with the guy. He ended up coming back, I can only assume it was the same guy, and broke the majority of the windows on all the equipment. $20,000 later, I decided I'd let things slide as that was one hell of a bill and I had no proof for anything.

So for years we just kept an eye out, and tried to be civil. But it doesn't do any good. No one asks me or my neighbours, they just trespasses. Except for about a dozen guys who call every year, give me their name, number, vehicle, plates, and times they will be hunting. So not everyone is a moron. I also make sure they all know that permission is for them and their party, not for their friends, and their friends friends friends 5 years down the road. Haven't had an issue with any of there guys following simple, and pretty reasonable rules I think.

The only thing I haven't done is post contact info, as you can knock on anyone's door in the area, they know me and will provide my info. Why should I have to spoon feed a grown ass man, when he could man up and knock on a door.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Looks like butcher scraps to me....

But in the middle of your property? That's ballsy....

How are you making out with charging people, what's the process.... What are the outcomes.... How are the authorities responses, and such?
Oh yeah, it's not scraps that bother me, it's a carcass on private property, means it was likely shot on my property too.

There's 5 cameras out there now in lock boxes, meant to get vehicles. I'm curious to see what I've got on there in a couple days.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam474 View Post
Hey guys,

Sorry to keep bringing this up as I see it is a very common theme on AO but.....

Over the weekend we were hunting a plot of private land with the land owner. It is five sections just west of rosebud. While we were hunting we had multiple vehicles enter the property off secondary roads. It isn't a issue if the people come ask for permission as he grants most people permission. The property is not fenced so it is easy for people to jump of secondary roads onto the fields and road/vehicle hunt.

The problem is this is continually happening and people don't come ask for permission but treat it as crown land or something. For example on Saturday we noticed a vehicle driving along the ridge of the rosebud river which is on his property. When we confronted the vehicle the guy ignored us and continued to hunt from his vehicle driving through private farmland chasing mule bucks which are draw only. We eventually got close enough that we could talk with him and told him he was on private land and had to leave. He respond with foul language, intimidation, saying he knows it private land but doesn't give a F. We quickly got to a truck and tried to find him to get plates. Eventually ran into him down the road has he was hightailing it out of town. We got plates, reported to F and W and the are pursuing the matter.

My question is since the land is not fenced and often not occupied how can he prevent poachers and trespassing on his land. Already found three dead deer in his fields. And is phoning F and W our only option or if they are trespassing should it have been a call to 911 instead. We felt like we had our hands tied behind our back because the trespasser refused to leave and was being very confrontational. Other then a physical altercation is our best bet to phone f and w? 911?

Thanks guys I really appreciate any help.
Assuming there is cell phone coverage - do us all a favour: Get out of there, dial 911, and report a man with a gun on private land behaving in an aggressive, threatening and ABNORMAL manner (this usually gets some action).

Morons and guns are a bad mix.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly View Post
Assuming there is cell phone coverage - do us all a favour: Get out of there, dial 911, and report a man with a gun on private land behaving in an aggressive, threatening and ABNORMAL manner (this usually gets some action).

Morons and guns are a bad mix.
Making a call like that may get you a mischief charge.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Making a call like that may get you a mischief charge.
So just what part of what he posted wasn't true? The guy did have a firearm, he was aggressive and abusive when confronted, and his behavior was certainly abnormal.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So just what part of what he posted wasn't true? The guy did have a firearm, he was aggressive and abusive when confronted, and his behavior was certainly abnormal.
We both know that the reason to word it that way is because if you told them you wanted to report a hunter trespassing you may get a cop to come and take a report.

Cops aren't stupid and they don't like being jerked around. There is a big difference between a "man with a gun" and a hunter. If 2 or 3 cars show up sirens blaring only to find out it is a minor trespass and no real threat, they may decide to teach you a lesson.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
We both know that the reason to word it that way is because if you told them you wanted to report a hunter trespassing you may get a cop to come and take a report.

Cops aren't stupid and they don't like being jerked around. There is a big difference between a "man with a gun" and a hunter. If 2 or 3 cars show up sirens blaring only to find out it is a minor trespass and no real threat, they may decide to teach you a lesson.
Quote:
There is a big difference between a "man with a gun" and a hunter. If 2 or 3 cars show up sirens blaring only to find out it is a minor trespass and no real threat, they may decide to teach you a lesson.
When someone who is trespassing is confronted and told to leave, and his response is to start swearing at you and trying to intimidate you while refusing to immediately leave, it might only be trespass. However, when the person behaving in that manner is in possession of a firearm at the time , the situation may be viewed as being much more serious than that.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-30-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
When someone who is trespassing is confronted and told to leave, and his response is to start swearing at you and trying to intimidate you while refusing to immediately leave, it might only be trespass. However, when the person behaving in that manner is in possession of a firearm at the time , the situation may be viewed as being much more serious than that.
I can agree with this, it's enough that you wont face a mischief charge, maybe a chat with an officer. Since it's RCMP in the area, who some I know, and a small town mentality, I'd hate to end up being labelled as the guy that cries wolf.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
So I guess the person who confronted the trespasser is also a danger, after all he was in possession of a firearm too.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
So I guess the person who confronted the trespasser is also a danger, after all he was in possession of a firearm too.
Except he wasn't trespassing, or swearing and being abusive, and intimidating like the trespasser was.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:53 PM

Some land owners need to give that petty trespass act a better read, and maybe even approach hunters with a better attitude. I had an altercation with a land owner last night on our way home from hunting. His land backed onto a valley that was crown land and we had spotted a white tail buck standing on the road so we checked him out and a few other fields to see what could be in the area for next season, figuring the valley would be a good place for some mid day hunting next season when game goes to bed for the day and hide from the wind. This guy chased us down and came unglued on us with complete ignorance of the act and common sense, calling us poachers and every other name in the book. There was no reasoning with the guy. We were both tagged out on our white tail tags and were looking for elk, but if he even for a second though like a poacher, he would know that deer we originally stopped to look at would have been in the truck. Standing in the middle of the road staring at us at no more then 200 yards and all the time in the world to take the shot. I am sighted for 200 yards and have taken game out too 400 yards with accuracy. If I wanted to poach, he would have heard a shot.

My hunting buddy and I have a great disgust for poachers, we even stumbled across a poached elk a couple weeks ago, beauty 7 point lying dead in the field. We checked it out, the evidence was there, happened the night before, one shot and fell where it stood. Neither of us have shot an elk and to see this beautiful animal left for dead was painful to see. Even the fish cop couldn't figure out why someone would just leave such an animal. Just aggravates me even more when someone in a hostile manor accuses us of attempting to do the same, when we have permissions all over the place on close to 2 dozen sections combined. Next person he does it too might not take too the approach in such a "friendly" manor...
Old 12-01-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota View Post
Some land owners need to give that petty trespass act a better read, and maybe even approach hunters with a better attitude. I had an altercation with a land owner last night on our way home from hunting. His land backed onto a valley that was crown land and we had spotted a white tail buck standing on the road so we checked him out and a few other fields to see what could be in the area for next season, figuring the valley would be a good place for some mid day hunting next season when game goes to bed for the day and hide from the wind. This guy chased us down and came unglued on us with complete ignorance of the act and common sense, calling us poachers and every other name in the book. There was no reasoning with the guy. We were both tagged out on our white tail tags and were looking for elk, but if he even for a second though like a poacher, he would know that deer we originally stopped to look at would have been in the truck. Standing in the middle of the road staring at us at no more then 200 yards and all the time in the world to take the shot. I am sighted for 200 yards and have taken game out too 400 yards with accuracy. If I wanted to poach, he would have heard a shot.

My hunting buddy and I have a great disgust for poachers, we even stumbled across a poached elk a couple weeks ago, beauty 7 point lying dead in the field. We checked it out, the evidence was there, happened the night before, one shot and fell where it stood. Neither of us have shot an elk and to see this beautiful animal left for dead was painful to see. Even the fish cop couldn't figure out why someone would just leave such an animal. Just aggravates me even more when someone in a hostile manor accuses us of attempting to do the same, when we have permissions all over the place on close to 2 dozen sections combined. Next person he does it too might not take too the approach in such a "friendly" manor...
So did you cross his land to get to the valley or were you just on the road looking?
Old 12-01-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy300 View Post
So did you cross his land to get to the valley or were you just on the road looking?
We were just looking from the road, as well the highway and lots of gravel roads lead too the valley. Entering anyone's property was not necessary. Add in the fact that since I had my laser eye surgery, the stuff that I can spot from 2000 yards with the naked eye is amazing. Just glass to get a good look. We needed not, and did not enter anyone's property. We were breaking no laws.

Edit/add: I have county maps at home as well as oilfield maps between my buddy and I to plan appropriate routes to access these public lands
Old 12-01-2014, 03:10 PM

was just asking as i wasn't sure if he was ragging at you because you accessed his land to take a closer look or you were just looking off the road. Sounds like a protective fella especially that you were just looking from the road..no harm in looking.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota View Post

Hmm an aggressive and abusive landowner. Shoulda called 911, right elkhunter11?
Old 12-01-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy300 View Post
was just asking as i wasn't sure if he was ragging at you because you accessed his land to take a closer look or you were just looking off the road. Sounds like a protective fella especially that you were just looking from the road..no harm in looking.
exactly, and again as I mentioned before, the deer was standing right in the middle of a gravel road not on his property. Had we had tags or the intent to poach, we could have taken it.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Hmm an aggressive and abusive landowner. Shoulda called 911, right elkhunter11?
Was he in possession of a firearm at the time ?