Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-25-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
What area? Do you remeber the Range Road?

I'd imagine up around Spring lake road? RR105? Or just a few east. There's two brothers from GP that are always poaching up along there. That's who shot the elk sept 16. And more than one whitetail on private land. I think both have been convicted and both are violent as can be.... An outfitter friend of mine was chasing them down one night and they shot at him...

Hahaha WOOOOO! Boys! It's archery opener! This is when the opening acts for the big show start to preform!! First up is the Early Bugle bandits!
Are you talking about Blake and baby Black wanna be ???
Old 08-25-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Come one come all!!! The greatest place on earth! Join the crowds and watch as the amazing bull dances around a dozen hunters flinging arrows and bullets within inches of his head! Will he escape unharmed? Only time will tell!

Don't miss your spot! Book a seat today and be amazed at the skills of unskilled marksmen! Trucks lifted so high they are taller then trees!!!

Leases full of folks from places far and wide! Like Calgary! Edmonton! And red deer!!! What a show it will be!!!!

Remeber to hate on locals! Tresspassers! And always drive past parked trucks honking your horn!!! The joys of the season are almost among us!!!
Another thread by someone who hunts the area but doesn't think anyone else should lol. Just another scare tactic to maybe help convince people not to go there. Ps wmu 527 has a much higher success rate and more elk than 358/359
Old 08-25-2015, 08:08 PM

I have hunted the area all of last year and didn't once see anyone out of their trucks. We also saw about 4 guys that were locals on quads with their rifles at sunrise and 2 others at around 10 am. Kind of risky as we saw the CO 2 times in 3 days. We got off the road and bagged a bull and cow after 2 days of hunting, just put the time in and find a good spot.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
Another thread by someone who hunts the area but doesn't think anyone else should lol. Just another scare tactic to maybe help convince people not to go there. Ps wmu 527 has a much higher success rate and more elk than 358/359
Uhhhhh, ya sure bud.....
Old 08-26-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
One of the highest concentrations of hunters in Alberta, and that easy access can make it tough to find a place to hunt where someone else won't show up and ruin your hunt.
Still one of the best opportunities to get an elk in the province for the average Joe, especially on public lands.
Seems the guys that biatch the most about it are the ones who hunt there or in the general vicinity. JMNSHO

Cheers and good luck boys!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Still one of the best opportunities to get an elk in the province for the average Joe, especially on public lands.
Seems the guys that biatch the most about it are the ones who hunt there or in the general vicinity. JMNSHO

Cheers and good luck boys!
Im not complaining about it, lol. I get a kick out of It....

I enjoy helping respectable ethical hunters. No matter where they are from
Old 09-15-2015, 01:14 PM

Well there is Elk in the area and lots of hunters and some good ethical hunters and some clowns on ATVs before Noon. Got our bull elk 3 of the last 4 years, always on foot and always in the bush. Did I use a quad after 12 PM to get to my spot and hunt the evening and walk quietly ? Sure did ! Did I use my quad and trailer to help pack the beast out, and the chainsaw to help clear the trail and cutline ? Sure did ! Am heading up there again tomorrow with a buddy to meet up with my son and 2 other guys already in camp bow hunting. Yep, that will be 5 of us and 3 Quads and all the gear. Any hunter I see on a quad before noon will be duly reported and picture taken and called into reportapoacher immediately. Saddle Hills is a big zone guys.... really ? if one wants to get 'remote' - they can. Might have to get Momma's SUV a bit dirty though and maybe invest in some better tires... those roads get a bit slick after some rain or snow.... me? I like to have my tire chains with me as well...
Old 09-15-2015, 01:30 PM

You are allowed to ride your quad before noon as long as you are off it an hr before sunrise, I did that everyday last year. Made for some early mornings and I had to sit a couple times after the morning hunt to wait til noon to get back to camp!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 09-15-2015, 01:33 PM

I like to wait till all you guys push them out onto private land, I might take a drive around this weekend and shoot chickens to see what the fuss is all about.

FYI there's one less Grizz for you guys to worry about in the hills, have fun out there!
Old 09-15-2015, 01:40 PM

^^^This...or leave gun in case hidden in the bush where you intend to hunt in the am
Old 09-15-2015, 01:48 PM

Yep, as long as one is off an hour before.... Not worried about the Grizzlies TuffBuff. They can also worry about a .338 if one is forced. Great for you that you have access to private land ! Not all of us have that luxury of shooting from the truck in a hay field. Some of us have to walk the bush and bugle and work hard for every elk. I won't hear you shooting chickens from the road, I will be in the bush....
Old 09-15-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercoal View Post
Yep, as long as one is off an hour before.... Not worried about the Grizzlies TuffBuff. They can also worry about a .338 if one is forced. Great for you that you have access to private land ! Not all of us have that luxury of shooting from the truck in a hay field. Some of us have to walk the bush and bugle and work hard for every elk. I won't hear you shooting chickens from the road, I will be in the bush....
I'm not a hard core elk hunter but would like to have the time to be, usually get a cow tag to eat em and enjoy the experience. usually quad and walk last 1/4 mile and sit or poke around, I do shoot moose from the truck usually though.
after reading most of this I was just kinda curious if its as much of a crapshow for the first while as everyone says with all the hotshot out of area guys running around. The couple little areas I go to the cutlines are usually packed right down but the end of the month.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:56 PM
Banned

Can I get a general bull calf tag? What about a genreral cow tag? Can I ride my quad all morning in that wmu? Which wmu is it? I just picked up a .338 lapua, Internet says it's good to 2000 meters so I should be good.

Thanks for any and all replies
Old 09-15-2015, 04:46 PM

There's a ton of elk up there. I used to hunt along the southern fringe on private farm land... elk were abundant. I also worked in that area and based on what I saw being in the field every day, I agree it's a gong show; that said, plenty of elk get killed. It is Alberta public land hunting at its ugliest.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:00 PM

It's a sh*t show already!! Camps and quads everywhere! Gun opener isn't ever here yet. Called in 3 hunters in the last 2 days!
Old 09-15-2015, 11:20 PM

Watch out for TICKS! !
Old 09-16-2015, 07:14 AM

lol @ called in 3 hunters
Old 09-16-2015, 10:16 AM

Default Elk

think it's bad now wait till Friday sat sun. When the fmm crowd shows up. Lol.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:19 AM

On the way up right now...YEEHAW
Old 09-16-2015, 10:24 AM

What's fmm crowd mean?
Free Masons from Manitoba are hunting there?
For Meat Maybe ?
From many municipalities?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:39 AM

I saw the parade on my way to work today. Over 40 trucks with trailers loaded down with atvs, side by sides, freezers and jerry cans. That was where i lost count over only a 20 km stretch.

Stay safe out there boy and girls. Wear your orange.

Ill keep to the bow season thanks.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:05 AM

Default Yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
I saw the parade on my way to work today. Over 40 trucks with trailers loaded down with atvs, side by sides, freezers and jerry cans. That was where i lost count over only a 20 km stretch.

time it gets put on draw out there
Old 09-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
time it gets put on draw out there
Why? What are the harvest rates like compared to number of animals?
Old 09-16-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post

The truck stop in Valleyview is rammed... Pickups pulling campers, trailers, ATV's UTV's, people in camo filling jerry cans and buyin beer...
Old 09-16-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
The truck stop in Valleyview is rammed... Pickups pulling campers, trailers, ATV's UTV's, people in camo filling jerry cans and buyin beer...
Yeeehaw!! Fill yer boots boys!!! Be a bunch of big 7x7 elk killed from the seats of them there machines this weekend!!!

Oh wait...no...there wont even be one.

Glad i no longer attempt to hunt that area for rifle opener. Makes a guy wanna give it up.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:11 PM

Got our gas and beer now to fill the boots!
Old 09-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Gone Hunting

We have our arses parked, sitting in the old farmer's shop having a few fast ones with him, watching the second growth alfalfa for any trespassing elk. Should be done shortly after daylight tomorrow, judging by what is out there today!!!! 5 tags - 4 anterless & 1 antlered. About 20 cows & 2 large 6 pt bulls, and a few wannabe ragantlered bulls keeping the big boys busy, to say the least.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
We have our arses parked, sitting in the old farmer's shop having a few fast ones with him, watching the second growth alfalfa for any trespassing elk. Should be done shortly after daylight tomorrow, judging by what is out there today!!!! 5 tags - 4 anterless & 1 antlered. About 20 cows & 2 large 6 pt bulls, and a few wannabe ragantlered bulls keeping the big boys busy, to say the least.
sounds like a good time! post up some pics when your done.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Banned

Drove up to work today north of Dawson Creek and yup,, couldn't believe the amount of hunters headed to that part of the country.. It was gross. Wouldn't catch me in there.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:30 PM

Default Elk down

So where are all the picks of the elk down in saddle hills ? Should be a few hundred dead by lunch for sure lol