Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
its kind of amusing to see so many upset by this but those who were affected by the gun seizure didnt care enough to join a class action law suit.

The article stated NO ONE else came forward to join the law suit...

It seems the vocal minority created outrage where there was none.
Agree well said.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The lawsuit would not hold any one accountable, which is what people really want.
No matter what the people wanted not enough were willing to get off their arses and take a stand. I think that most really wanted to get on line and whine and snivel and expect someone else to step up.

Yes it would be nice to go after individual officers but only a couple were willing to take the first step need to make the RCMP accountable.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
No matter what the people wanted not enough were willing to get off their arses and take a stand. I think that most really wanted to get on line and whine and snivel and expect someone else to step up.

Yes it would be nice to go after individual officers but only a couple were willing to take the first step need to make the RCMP accountable.
The sad fact, is that if the RCMP as an organization had any integrity, they would have found out who was responsible for what happened, and held those members accountable. It shouldn't be up to the citizens to hold the offenders responsible, the RCMP are the ones who are paid to uphold our laws.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
The sad fact, is that if the RCMP as an organization had any integrity, they would have found out who was responsible for what happened, and held those members accountable. It shouldn't be up to the citizens to hold the offenders responsible, the RCMP are the ones who are paid to uphold our laws.
It is even more sad that after all the talk, there were only a few citizens that were willing to stand up. I have heard it said that the people get the government they deserve and now I am beginning to think that they get the police they deserve.

It seems that everyone wants something but is not willing to do anything when called upon. That is what is sad!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
You're not wrong. I don't think anyone was especially impressed with what went on but the "Legend of the High River Gun Grab" outpaced the facts pretty quickly.

I was there the first day people were let back in and spent hours talking with the guy that ran the High River emergency operations center as we waited in line together. Since then I've had an awful lot of people on this site tell me I didn't see what I saw and I didn't hear what I heard. None of them were there of course but they've watched the Sun News special on it so they know a lot more than I do on the subject.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
It is even more sad that after all the talk, there were only a few citizens that were willing to stand up. I have heard it said that the people get the government they deserve and now I am beginning to think that they get the police they deserve.

It seems that everyone wants something but is not willing to do anything when called upon. That is what is sad!
And how would participating in a class action suit hold anyone accountable? An inquiry was held, and even though it was determined that the seizures were not legal, no charges resulted. Once the inquiry ended, it wouldn't matter if 1000 people had come forward, no charges would have ever resulted.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-20-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
its kind of amusing to see so many upset by this but those who were affected by the gun seizure didnt care enough to join a class action law suit.

The article stated NO ONE else came forward to join the law suit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
I would you need to though?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Quote:

Actually what is really sad is the way the three of you constantly spew your anti-gun garbage on here. Every post....High River, rural crime etc. Anyway you can dump on the members here about anything gun related who have been victimized by thieves or the police you constantly demean members. What is also sad is that you get to keep doing it over and over and over. Pot stirring at the absolute worst.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:42 PM

Honest question here, a person couldn't have joined the class-action unless directly affected?? Is that correct ?
Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Actually what is really sad is the way the three of you constantly spew your anti-gun garbage on here. Every post....High River, rural crime etc. Anyway you can dump on the members here about anything gun related who have been victimized by thieves or the police you constantly demean members. What is also sad is that you get to keep doing it over and over and over. Pot stirring at the absolute worst.
Especially when members of this forum will unite and gain the support of moderators and have members suspended for bringing forward irregularities and injustices involving crime and firearms.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Im anti gun because i think anyone who was affected by the gun seizure should have stood up for their rights and not be a coward? Or because im questioning how no one came forward at all??

Ive gone through the process of lodging a complaint with the police. If ones rights were violated why would you not stand up for whats right?

Theres lots of excuses being shown by many but it doesnt explain why no one came forward or why no one went through a formal complain process. The only conclusion one can draw from this is that the story of seizures was blown way out of proportion.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
It comes down to this: who among you wants his name black listed with the horsemen? I was there and have a family member who was there in emergency services. Those guys are not someone most people want to mess with.
This is a reason so many people don't voice their opinions. There is a blacklist no doubt.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Honest question here, a person couldn't have joined the class-action unless directly affected?? Is that correct ?
Yes!

There were many directly affected and only a couple came forward and that was not enough for the class-action to proceed.

With all of the outrage that lasted for quite a long time, I would have thought there were more than enough?

Of all those that I know that I think have joined I have not once heard that ear of the back list as being the reason for not joining.

I am disappointed that most I know just talked and did not actually do anything except complain, mostly on line.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:48 AM
Banned

thats all people do is talk a big talk. Should it surprise us? I think we see it here all too often.

And for the record the lawyer said no one other then the original complaintent came forward.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:08 AM

Why can't some people comprehend that this isn't about money? It is about holding the RCMP responsible for their illegal behavior during the High River flood. A class action lawsuit would accomplish nothing but have the taxpayers pay for damages suffered by the homeowners. The RCMP would sit back and laugh at how the taxpayers were left to pay for their actions, and how they were allowed to remain totally unaccountable for what they did. If the force had any integrity, they would want to determine who was responsible and hold those people accountable for their actions, but obviously the present force could care less about integrity.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Why can't some people comprehend that this isn't about money? It is about holding the RCMP responsible for their illegal behavior during the High River flood. A class action lawsuit would accomplish nothing but have the taxpayers pay for damages suffered by the homeowners. The RCMP would sit back and laugh at how the taxpayers were left to pay for their actions, and how they were allowed to remain totally unaccountable for what they did. If the force had any integrity, they would want to determine who was responsible and hold those people accountable for their actions, but obviously the present force could care less about integrity.
A law suit would hold them financially responsible. I would be happy for that outcome. A formal complaint with their internal affairs or professional standards branch would have been another option.

No matter the route someone could have gone people decided to do nothing.

Really makes me wonder about the entire situation.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:32 AM

The RCMP, as they are now, have outlived their usefulness as a national police force...the provinces should have their own forces (like the OPP) which can more readily interpret and enforce laws from a provincial perspective versus a national one...people in some parts of the country do not always look at the same laws (or enforcement of them) the same way.
The romantic view of "The Mountie" can live on in books and movies.
As always, IMHO
Old 03-21-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
A law suit would hold them financially responsible. I would be happy for that outcome. A formal complaint with their internal affairs or professional standards branch would have been another option.

No matter the route someone could have gone people decided to do nothing.

Really makes me wonder about the entire situation.
If the RCMP was found financially responsible, where do you suppose the money to pay off the suit would come from? Do you honestly believe that it would come out of the officer's pockets who were responsible for what happened at High River? Surely you are not that naive. If the RCMP did have to pay off a law suit, it would come out of what they are paid by the government, and the government would end up making the difference , in the next budget. In the end, the individual officers would pay nothing, the taxpayers would be the only losers.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:59 AM

Omar Kahdar will pay because he’s friends of the gov. And wants to give back to the community. Just ask and give him the opportunity
Old 03-21-2018, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
If the RCMP was found financially responsible, where do you suppose the money to pay off the suit would come from? Do you honestly believe that it would come out of the officer's pockets who were responsible for what happened at High River? Surely you are not that naive. If the RCMP did have to pay off a law suit, it would come out of what they are paid by the government, and the government would end up making the difference , in the next budget. In the end, the individual officers would pay nothing, the taxpayers would be the only losers.
You fail to realize if a law suit was won that the odds of a repeat scenario would be far less likely to happen. Instead we have no one doing anything. I wouldnt care if it was the tax payers paying out.

Care to indulg why no one came forward for the law suit? Why didnt anyone file any formal complaints?

I highly doubt every gun owner who had guns seized would be too afraid to speak up for their rights.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Nicely said agree
Old 03-21-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I must say, i love that you know everything about everything, including what people's motives and thoughts are!

You are an impressive human being!
Old 03-21-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
You fail to realize if a law suit was won that the odds of a repeat scenario would be far less likely to happen. Instead we have no one doing anything. I wouldnt care if it was the tax payers paying out.

Care to indulg why no one came forward for the law suit? Why didnt anyone file any formal complaints?

I highly doubt every gun owner who had guns seized would be too afraid to speak up for their rights.
How about you explain to us how the taxpayers getting stuck with a bill would prevent the RCMP officers from behaving as they did at High River. Are you going to tell us that having the taxpayers reimburse the victims of rural theft is going to prevent more rural theft? The perpetraters, be they the RCMP or regular citizens or drug addicts could care less , unless they are going to be held responsible.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I must say, i love that you know everything about everything, including what people's motives and thoughts are!

You are an impressive human being!
Normally, I would feel honored to see someone so enamored with my posts, but , in your case, having you search out my posts in order to post cheap shots, is like having a fly buzzing around. I give your posts about as much thought as I would give the fly.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I give your posts about as much thought as I would give the fly.

Yet you thought enough about the fly to respond to his post.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Yet you thought enough about the fly to respond to his post.
Normally, I would just swat the fly, but that isn't an option here.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:44 PM

I would have gladly joined this suit, as the RCMP did break into my house and rummage through my things. I was no able to join, because all of my guns were still in the basement, underwater. If I had not been so naive to think that the water would never get as far as my house, I would have brought them upstairs and probably put them on the spare bed thinking that I would only be gone a day or two. Then I would have been able to join.

As a resident of High River that was affected by all of this, I am still outraged that nothing has been done about it. Filthy RCMP rummaging through all of my stuff, while I was being held with intimidation of force on the 498th Ave barricades.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Normally, I would just swat the fly, but that isn't an option here.
Have you ever thought that maybe you are the fly?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Have you ever thought that maybe you are the fly?
You are definitely the fly, completely harmless but always buzzing around stirring up shyte for no reason. Be careful one day the ban hammer is going to come down and squash you flat.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
and squash you flat.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
I would have gladly joined this suit, as the RCMP did break into my house and rummage through my things. I was no able to join, because all of my guns were still in the basement, underwater. If I had not been so naive to think that the water would never get as far as my house, I would have brought them upstairs and probably put them on the spare bed thinking that I would only be gone a day or two. Then I would have been able to join.

As a resident of High River that was affected by all of this, I am still outraged that nothing has been done about it. Filthy RCMP rummaging through all of my stuff, while I was being held with intimidation of force on the 498th Ave barricades.
Why do you suppose your neighbors didnt join the law suit or file any formal complaints???